Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

Delivery

11K views 33 replies 20 participants last post by  St00k 
#1 ·
I’m worried about the following statement from Rivian regarding my delivery “based on your original preorder date (Nov 26, 2018), delivery location (Florida) and configuration (RT1 Max Pack)”, I understand the the original preorder date and configuration has an effect but not sure about delivery location, Has anyone got an idea. I did ask Rivian in an email and got the following “The way that location plays a part is simply the timing of logistics” ???

#15 ·
MilesK, I think you're right in that where you live likely has nothing to do with your spot in line. I'm assuming that affects only the logistics and timing of your delivery. If anyone has information regarding the physical location of all pre-orders, it would be great to see, even if it just identifies the state. As was mentioned in this strand, I think many people would opt for travelling a short distance to pick up their vehicle from a fairly central location within their state. It would seem like this would allow Rivian to deliver many vehicles at a lower per vehicle price, if enough people were willing to take part in such a program. It would allow full truckloads to travel to one location and would also allow new Adventurers to meet up and get to know one another.

#3 ·
If I had to guess, I think it has to do with how they can best distribute in a short amount of time. For example, RJ has talked about how the state of Colorado had a very large number of pre-orders. Enough that they lobbied for EV-specific sales legislation in Colorado. So, I expect that if you have a pre-order in Colorado you might gets yours sooner since they can load a whole bunch on the delivery trucks at the same time and fulfill all of those orders together in a short amount of time versus sending a one-off delivery into the middle of North Dakota (for example).

#8 ·
I agree, but also believe it has to do with service availability/deployment. I personally would be willing to make a road trip to Nornal IL to pick up my R1S...however I’m pretty sure they don’t want me to drive it home and then not be able to service it. Also sure they don’t want to pay a repair technician to just sit in my home state and just twitle their thumbs. That sucks, because looking at the pre order survey...only one more person from Minnesota ordered 😢. Wonder if I could become a part time repair tech for them and then they only have to spend repair dollars as needed?🤔

#5 ·
They've always said location would impact things. They aren't going to ship a single pickup somewhere - they are going to ship a truckload of vehicles. So if they need to push your order back or pull others forward in line to build a complete truckload of vehicles, they are going to do that. They won't build a truck of Seattle late 2019 orders before they build the truck of Tampa late 2018 orders, but they will absolutely shift things around in between to optimize shipments.

The queue isn't some single file line that gets built exactly in order. They will build batches and take the highest priority customers that match what's going into the batch.

#7 ·
Exactly.
Its a business at the end of the day with massive overhead. Managing that correctly is critical especially while being new. As long as build quality, service and the whole experience is what it should when we have our cars, then the wait will be worth it!

#34 ·
The forum has started tracking actual deliveries by location now

#16 ·
Paulrenec and MilesK,

In a conversation with the Engagement Center on November 16th, they indicated the possibility of allowing us to tour the factory and take delivery of Launch Editions in June, although COVID-19 may keep that from happening. Fingers crossed!
I would love the option to pickup at the factory and do my own version of "A Long Way Up" but call it a "Long Way Home" Do a cross country road trip from Normal IL to Phoenix AZ.

#18 ·
Rivian Forum - i am an ex senior exec from Rivian and hence obviously little biased. However i will post some information that will show actually how behind Rivian is in its launch plans. Below is the current ramp up plans . As one can see clearly the most R1T next year are ~7,000 of which the 1st 500 or so are "Non sale-bale"

#22 ·
sure team - can somebody more knowledgeable here can answer if ANY Body, Battery, IP, Seats, Inverter have been BUILD @ Rivian site or BY Rivian? All the Body -in-White (BIW) have been build at a ford subsidiary call TDM in MI, painted at Penke in MI, ALL Battery assembly's were build as paslin (in Indianapolis) and all other stuff at supplier. The plant cant even assemble the vehicles as they are being done by hand. Note the videos carefully from RJ and majority of the equipment s not connected or still looks in packaging....6 months from production..........

Obviously i am using somebody's name!!!!!!!!

#24 ·
Pro Tip:

If you want people to believe you were a "Senior Exec" at a major company, you should probably hone those writing skills a bit. When your proficiency is that of a 6th-grade dropout who doesn't know the difference between 'Built' and 'Build', 'Assembly's' and 'Assemblies', or have basic understanding of conjugation and punctuation, it's unlikely that your untruth of being a Senior Executive will be accepted by the readers.

#25 ·
You understand that Rivian is building pre production vehicles right?
Usually goes concept, prototype, preproduction and then finally production. At least when automakers do their homework and don't expect the customers to find out the issues on their delivered vehicle.
These vehicles won't be sold to the public [or they may get in trouble like VW], but they'll probably be used for test drives, display or crash testing. RJ mentioned that they are building around +200 preproduction vehicles.
"Automakers may assemble pre-production cars in a specialized small facility, often by hand, to try out the new tooling, as well as test vehicle assembly fits and techniques. ... Some of these cars are exhibited at auto shows. They may also be destroyed during crash tests."

#33 ·
Some updated info about R1T Launch Edition deliveries. They're starting in July and will be completed by Spring 2022.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.