Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a mechanic and an aspiring electrical engineer, I have interest in understanding the inner workings of my new R1T. I also am an avid supporter of the right to repair movement, so I wish to make a place to post information related to vehicle diagnostics, scantool, and networking. Here are some things I've learned:

R1T has an OBD2 port on the bottom left of the dash. No CAN bus lines are there. However, there are 4 Ethernet pins and an activation pin similar to many European cars that use DOIP. Power on pin 16, ground on pins 4 and 5. See below picture for the harness I made.
Product Font Office supplies Office equipment Technology

Unfortunately, the vehicle does not respond to standard DOIP messaging and I don't have a Rivian scantool, so I can't confirm that diagnostic data can be read at this port.

I also discovered at least 5 CAN bus networks running through the passenger side kick panel nearest the door. Unfortunately I don't have any DBC files to decifer what they are saying though. Feel free to post if anyone has any useful diagnostic or CAN info.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I was hoping someone like you would show up and figure this out. It's an enormous amount of detective work as the manufacturers are not forthcoming with this sort of information. Once you figure out the hardware layout, deciphering the hex codes is a really serious challenge. I wonder if Rivian can't be petitioned to make this information available. Legacy manufacturers do not (and neither does Tesla to my knowledge)

·
Registered
3 Posts
As a mechanic and an aspiring electrical engineer, I have interest in understanding the inner workings of my new R1T. I also am an avid supporter of the right to repair movement, so I wish to make a place to post information related to vehicle diagnostics, scantool, and networking. Here are some things I've learned:

R1T has an OBD2 port on the bottom left of the dash. No CAN bus lines are there. However, there are 4 Ethernet pins and an activation pin similar to many European cars that use DOIP. Power on pin 16, ground on pins 4 and 5. See below picture for the harness I made. View attachment 5821
Unfortunately, the vehicle does not respond to standard DOIP messaging and I don't have a Rivian scantool, so I can't confirm that diagnostic data can be read at this port.

I also discovered at least 5 CAN bus networks running through the passenger side kick panel nearest the door. Unfortunately I don't have any DBC files to decifer what they are saying though. Feel free to post if anyone has any useful diagnostic or CAN info.
Would you mind sharing a picture of location of this panel?

Do you know the pinout of the CAN conductors in there?

I can likely generate some CANdump outputs next week when I am back at the office.

Bummer no CAN on OBDII connector. Did you scope each of the pins?

·
Registered
83 Posts
It's legitimate. The site is run by Snap-On tools, who offers this sort of private-label tool supply as a service to manufacturers. Here's a blurb from the terms of service:

"Snap-on Business Solutions ("Seller") has contracted with certain manufacturers (each, a "Manufacturer") to provide equipment to Seller for inclusion in the Seller's catalog (the "Catalog") and for resale."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts