Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

Did you read your PBA before signing it?

• Yes, the whole thing

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Some of it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I was too excited and just signed it

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious how many people read stuff like this before signing it.

I’m pretty anal, and tend to read stuff like this end to end. 🤷‍♂️ One slightly disturbing trend I’ve seen recently in several legal agreements is the requirement that the consumer forfeit their rights to both class action participation and jury trials - specifically indicating mediation as the only recourse to dispute resolution. Obviously this greatly favors the the vendor/plaintiff if things go south. I generally think our society has become far too litigious, and therefore choose to agree to these terms, but at the same time it does greatly limit the ability to hold truly bad companies accountable for their actions. Anyway, I thought it would be an interesting discussion. I’d love to hear how others feel about it.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Proponents will say you don’t have to sign and can go elsewhere, but I don’t agree. These clauses are becoming ubiquitous and it is increasingly difficult to find products and services that don’t impose them. In some cases — such as internet access — people may literally not have another choice.

I wish these clauses would either be deemed unenforceable, or make it so you can opt out of the clause without having to refuse the entire agreement/service.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts