Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way of disabling the Phone key rather than having to Delete it and reinstall it. I find myself frequently going in/out of my garage, and since I always carry my phone, the R1T unlocks and starts to its prep to drive and then quickly shuts down when I walk a few feet away. This frequent on/off cant be good for the battery.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Is there a way of disabling the Phone key rather than having to Delete it and reinstall it. I find myself frequently going in/out of my garage, and since I always carry my phone, the R1T unlocks and starts to its prep to drive and then quickly shuts down when I walk a few feet away. This frequent on/off cant be good for the battery.
I'm guessing you could disable Bluetooth on your phone to prevent it from communicating with your vehicle when you're close...but haven't actually tried that idea yet.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Had the phone as a key with my Model 3. Absolutely hated it. But, I know many love the option. I'm not one that lives with a phone attached to my hip. I do usually leave it the car when running into a store.. I was very happy when Tesla finally offered a key fob for the Model 3. Never used the phone again. Very glad that Rivian is including a key fob. Put it in your pocket and forget its there.

Hopefully Rivian's phone as a key will be better, but even today with Tesla, half the time, you have do a little dance when you get to the door to get the car to recognize the phone. Quite annoying. Never have an issue with the key fob. it just works without issue every time, the way it should be.

Don't know the OP's reason for not using the key fob instead? But, if you did, would prevent the stated issue. With Model 3, can still always use the app manually on the very rare occasion that I need it. It's just not attached as a key via Blue Tooth. Get the best of all worlds with no issues.

Phones as keys are nice in theory, but thus far, people have far more issues with them working as they should. You almost never hear of a key fob having an issue. While issues with the phone key may be limited as well, it's quite annoying when those issues do come up, especially if it's raining outside. I've prewarned all my friends that are convinced they'll never need a key fob. To date, all have purchased key fobs within 60 days of buying the car. Fortunately, just about every other manufacturer, aside from Tesla, includes a key fob with the sale of the car.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Had the phone as a key with my Model 3. Absolutely hated it. But, I know many love the option. I'm not one that lives with a phone attached to my hip. I do usually leave it the car when running into a store.. I was very happy when Tesla finally offered a key fob for the Model 3. Never used the phone again. Very glad that Rivian is including a key fob. Put it in your pocket and forget its there.
Unfortunately, Rivian doesnt let the fob work in an active way. You have to physically push the buttons on the fob to lock/unlock. So you can’t just walk away or walk up to the vehicle…. So, no, you can’t “put it in your pocket and forget it’s there”. You can put it in your pocket and pretend it’s 1992, though.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm hoping for an Apple Watch/iPhone app where (at your option) you can put in a 4 digit code to enter the vehicle. I always wear my Apple Watch and would be so much more convenient than pulling out my iPhone. This would also be an important option for travel within more dangerous locations.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I'm hoping for an Apple Watch/iPhone app where (at your option) you can put in a 4 digit code to enter the vehicle. I always wear my Apple Watch and would be so much more convenient than pulling out my iPhone. This would also be an important option for travel within more dangerous locations.
Oh yes, nothing safer than being in a bad place and having to pull out your phone and fumble to enter a code on a touch screen.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
No one is suggesting that someone not to be aware of their surroundings. However, Tesla already has a security option called "pin to drive."
Being aware of your surroundings may mean you need to quickly/easily get into your vehicle and "safe". Actually, being "aware" of your surroundings may even make a pin-to-open worse, as stress could cause someone to fumble and delay entry.

Are you having a bad day?
No, actually my day is going well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Being aware of your surroundings may mean you need to quickly/easily get into your vehicle and "safe". Actually, being "aware" of your surroundings may even make a pin-to-open worse, as stress could cause someone to fumble and delay entry.
No. Being aware of your surroundings is more than that. It means keep moving to safety if you feel you might be a victim of a car-jack rather than approach your car. It means NOT being in a high-crime area to begin with. Tesla's "pin to drive" option has been well received as a quick Google search will confirm.

However, if your point continues to be that "nothing is perfect in life." Point taken.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Unfortunately, Rivian doesnt let the fob work in an active way. You have to physically push the buttons on the fob to lock/unlock. So you can’t just walk away or walk up to the vehicle…. So, no, you can’t “put it in your pocket and forget it’s there”. You can put it in your pocket and pretend it’s 1992, though.
Admittedly, that's just dumb. Rivian has been copying Tesla's playbook on most things. Given, much of what they do is based on older Tesla playbooks while Tesla continues to improve. But, Tesla has had passive key fobs since their 2012 model S, so just assumed Rivian would have the same. Pretty sad if it doesn't. Hopefully, the hardware is there and its something they can offer via a software update. The Model 3, when they first released key fob, also did not have passive controls, but they were added later. No reason in today's world you shouldn't be able to just walk up to the car and get in. Maybe there's an argument for a start button to drive it, but passive entry / exit should be an afterthought as just about all cars today seem to have it. Or at least most that are over $35K

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Interesting how quickly a post migrates...all I think that is needed is a change to the App that allows the phone key to be disabled not deleted. Using the phone or a fob or the wristband or the card is one of preference and I'm glad Rivian has these choices, it's just the Phone key could be made more useful with this added option.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks groon, does that essentially mean you never use the phone key?
Pretty much never. Occasionally I've had the app open to look at charge state or start up the climate control before I went outside to the truck, so while the phone was in my hand I just tapped in the app to unlock, rather than dig out the fob. But typically it's the fob right now.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
615 Posts
Does that then d
Yah, I'm with the OP; the phone key function got annoying quickly. What I did is disabled proximity unlocking in the Settings menu inside the R1T (not in the app). I just use the FOB, which I also like because you can remotely pop open the frunk with it.
Does that then also disable the wristband and keycard?

·
Registered
3 Posts
No. Being aware of your surroundings is more than that. It means keep moving to safety if you feel you might be a victim of a car-jack rather than approach your car. It means NOT being in a high-crime area to begin with. Tesla's "pin to drive" option has been well received as a quick Google search will confirm.

However, if your point continues to be that "nothing is perfect in life." Point taken.

I have no doubt if there is enough interest, Rivian will enable this functionality in the App at some point via on OTA. They've already made a ton of improvements since I've owned the truck and they'll keep on comin! Enjoy everyone.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts