Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

I would like to know if you can add any brush guards (the picture above is just an illustration) to the R1T and R1S without interfering with some of the many cameras and sensors on the trucks. Thanks so much

·
Registered
413 Posts
Considering many trucks have cameras and sensors with a ton of aftermarket support that Integrates with the functions probably eventually there will be aftermarket bumpers, brush guards,…. Although those things will greatly increase usage (and reduce range).

My biggest aftermarket wish is that someone does a brake swap to get rid of the (ridiculous) 20” rims and fits a more appropriate 17”.

I don’t know if you did the illustration but the wheel wells would have to be much larger to fit those tires. In the real world that truck would have almost no suspension travel and the tires would trash the body from major rubbing and it likely wouldn’t steer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Considering many trucks have cameras and sensors with a ton of aftermarket support that Integrates with the functions probably eventually there will be aftermarket bumpers, brush guards,…. Although those things will greatly increase usage (and reduce range).

My biggest aftermarket wish is that someone does a brake swap to get rid of the (ridiculous) 20” rims and fits a more appropriate 17”.

I don’t know if you did the illustration but the wheel wells would have to be much larger to fit those tires. In the real world that truck would have almost no suspension travel and the tires would trash the body from major rubbing and it likely wouldn’t steer.
The vehicle is designed to function off road with those wheels and brakes. Not to mention, good luck stopping a 7,000lb vehicle without a big brake system. By adding to, or taking away, you’re likely to decrease the capability more so than you would improve It.

·
Registered
413 Posts
The vehicle is designed to function off road with those wheels and brakes. Not to mention, good luck stopping a 7,000lb vehicle without a big brake system. By adding to, or taking away, you’re likely to decrease the capability more so than you would improve It.
Mild off road with 20’s (as in what can be done in a crossover/Subaru) Anything more that that and you are high risk of a pinch flat.

for rotor size 1 ton diesels weight 1500-2k lbs more then a R1T and can tow approaching 30k lbs. putting GVW pushing 40k lbs and have 14-15” rotors. My modded LX570 is 6800 lbs on 14.5” front rotors and 17” rims.

I’d argue with regen braking the R1T could get away with smaller rotors then a comparable ice.

more on rims and rotors. I raced track cars for years, larger rotors don’t do anything for street driving as in one time stops. They help a lot of the track when you are dealing with heat/fade, but no one is tracking a R1T against Miata’s, 911’s,…. And if they did it wouldn’t stay out there long enough to have significant fade.

Rivians choice to go with 20’s on the “off road” package was purely for looks, 17’s would perform better in every metric: on road, off road, acceleration, braking, grip,… I’m disappointed that they are wrapped up in the (subjective) aesthetics and showboating, over what would be functionally better. Like 20’s, 21’s, 22’s and the camp kitchen…. (Should have called it the tailgate kitchen.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Rivians choice to go with 20’s on the “off road” package was purely for looks, 17’s would perform better in every metric: on road, off road, acceleration, braking, grip,… I’m disappointed that they are wrapped up in the (subjective) aesthetics and showboating, over what would be functionally better. Like 20’s, 21’s, 22’s and the camp kitchen…. (Should have called it the tailgate kitchen.
There’s no way you maintained a straight face while typing that.

·
Registered
941 Posts
The reality (based on the day to day usage for all trucks sold in the US) is that 95+% of the R1T's usage will not be rock crawling, so the decision by Rivian to go with a less-chunky but still capable AT was a good one in my view - particularly for an EV with a high mileage bar for each charge. There is no doubt that efficiency and "overall" performance is top of mind. The R1T (unmodified) is far more capable than any crossover or a Subaru when considering ground clearance, 4 motors, multiple drive modes, wading depth, underbody protection. Overall, it astounds me how capable this truck actually is straight off the assembly line with ZERO mods.

·
Registered
413 Posts
lol, no. Sidewall flex may be useful when rock crawling…. But it is not helpful for street performance/handling.
You are wrong.

larger rims = more rotational mass. More rotational mass = slower acceleration and increased stopping distance. On the road (and track) For cornering and braking, sidewall flex increases the contact patch and conforms to directional forces and increasing grip. This is why modern track motorcycles run carbon rims that “ankle flex”. The only way sidewall flex would be detrimental in cornering is if there was enough force to break the tire bead free.

Even for the highest performance track cars, from 2021 to 2022 when F1 went from 13” rims to 18” rims times got slower across the board.

·
Registered
413 Posts
The reality (based on the day to day usage for all trucks sold in the US) is that 95+% of the R1T's usage will not be rock crawling, so the decision by Rivian to go with a less-chunky but still capable AT was a good one in my view - particularly for an EV with a high mileage bar for each charge. There is no doubt that efficiency and "overall" performance is top of mind. The R1T (unmodified) is far more capable than any crossover or a Subaru when considering ground clearance, 4 motors, multiple drive modes, wading depth, underbody protection. Overall, it astounds me how capable this truck actually is straight off the assembly line with ZERO mods.
All I’m saying is it could be much more capable. I see so many trucks on 20’s every summer with pinch flats from one rock on a mild trail. I wouldn’t feel comfortable with it anywhere that would requiring airing down (sand, mud, lose rock).

tires/wheels are the most important piece of equipment in every driving condition. I remember triple locked G55’s on ZR tires getting stuck on wet grass. So skids, lofts, sliders, winches,…. Are pointless with an inappropriate tire/wheel set up.

All it takes is one rock on a mild trail and it turns into a long day… watch this video at ~12 min mark LR defender on 20’s.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I dunno. I've never experienced a pinch flat on sand or mild rock, and I think the driver's own experience and their understanding of the gear they are running (based on the terrain that they are on) likely has a lot to do with it too. Maybe I am just overly conservative in off-road conditions.

FWIW - I'm not disagreeing with you on your point that a 17" rim with beefy AT's and more sidewall would perform better while rock crawling!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Drove down to the Denver Rivian Service Center and saw one R1S on the lot (among about 40 plus R1TS). I was surprised at how small it seemed (though I have been in a Navigator L for some years). Looked like the size of an Explorer. It had regular road tires mounted and probably was at the lowest height being parked. Did not notice any more sensors than on my Navigator for parking, think mounting a brush guard will be no problem.
Car Wheel Land vehicle Tire Automotive parking light

·
Registered
542 Posts
An R1 beats the pants off a Subaru offroad in difficult terrain. The 20" are fine. Not ideal, but good enough to support the considerable off-road capabilities of the vehicle to the extent that most people would use it.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Back on the brush guard thing. I have no idea where or how you would mount it, not that I would ever add one...
The underbelly of my truck (with Off-Road Protection) looks like a frickin Monolith.
Which is awesome

·
Registered
413 Posts
I dunno. I've never experienced a pinch flat on sand or mild rock, and I think the driver's own experience and their understanding of the gear they are running (based on the terrain that they are on) likely has a lot to do with it too. Maybe I am just overly conservative in off-road conditions.

FWIW - I'm not disagreeing with you on your point that a 17" rim with beefy AT's and more sidewall would perform better while rock crawling!
The R1T wil never be a rock crawler. Heck 1/2 ton trucks are never used as rock crawlers. In my LX I avoid rock crawling . Rock crawling is pretty much exclusive to SWB (as in 2 door) wranglers, ans some heavily modded older (with duel solid axles) 4 runner/Tacoma.

·
Registered
413 Posts
An R1 beats the pants off a Subaru offroad in difficult terrain. The 20" are fine. Not ideal, but good enough to support the considerable off-road capabilities of the vehicle to the extent that most people would use it.
Subaru is now the brand most commonly taken off road, ~1/3 of owners report off road use. And don’t forget They have dominated rally for decades.

Up here they have taken over the light to moderate off road scene (mostly crosstreck). Just here in the last couple years Subarus are the most common vehicle I see at the difficult to get to trail heads. A lifted crosstreck on ATs will run circles around an R1T (and my heavily modded LX570) in most off road situations people get into: sand, fire roads, …. They have a short WB, are light weight, narrower, have one of the best AWD systems out there. Only place they struggle is if they get a wheel off the ground.

·
Registered
941 Posts
The R1T wil never be a rock crawler. Heck 1/2 ton trucks are never used as rock crawlers. In my LX I avoid rock crawling . Rock crawling is pretty much exclusive to SWB (as in 2 door) wranglers, ans some heavily modded older (with duel solid axles) 4 runner/Tacoma.
Semantics, you know what I meant. I have no desire to take my R1T rock crawling ever, but will enjoy some off-road and backroad adventures with my 20 AT's. I think you need to understand that from a business perspective, Rivian was probably looking to strike a good balance between solid functionality for a broad range of applications with the 20's and AT's, plus efficiency, plus good looks too. It's what will allow them to sell more vehicles. Turning the needle in the other direction and providing a more niche, off road-oriented application would diminish the published specs the general public and prospective buyers would see, and I could see that creating a backlash (given that the R1T is electric). This is just a perspective (not right or wrong), but I'm sure it was a discussion point when they put together OEM wheel and tire options (and thought about revenue generation).

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Subaru is not the brand most commonly taken off road, ~1/3 of owners report off road use. And don't forget They have dominated rally for decades.

Up here they have taken over the light to moderate off road scene (mostly crosstreck). Just here in the last couple years Subarus are the most common vehicle I see at the difficult to get to trail heads. A lifted crosstreck on ATs will run circles around an R1T (and my heavily modded LX570) in most off road situations people get into: sand, fire roads, …. They have a short WB, are light weight, narrower, have one of the best AWD systems out there. Only place they struggle is if they get a wheel off the ground.
Subaru's have no clearance; they may go off-road in a dirt road or field, but a few rocks are decent ascent, or decent forget it. Most states there not even popular; others are not. They have no clearance; few people put lift kits on Subarus, and they will never run circles around an R1T with four motors, a Jeep, or a new Bronco. Rivian has an engine on every single wheel. I have riven Hummer H1s in the military and H2s for years. Live in rural Colorado now. Rallys and off-roading are entirely different; even 911's dominate rallies, but I wouldn't drive them in 3 feet of water to cross a creek.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Subaru's have no clearance, that may go off-road in a direct road or field, but a few rocks are rapid ascent or decent forget it. Most states there not even popular; others are not. They have no clearance; few people lift Suburus and will never run circles around an R1T with four motors, one on each wheel. Driven Hummer H1s in the military and H2s for years. Live in rural Colorado now.
I’m in rural Alaska and Subaru is the #1 vehicle brand up here. Looks like Subaru Outback is #3 in Colorado.

I’m military and if you were in the military thank you for your service but you drove a Humvee not H1 (the civilian commercial one). My experience with Humvees were great in the sand, ok in rock, and scary in the snow and straight up struggled to go 65 mph on road. My wife had an H2 when they first came out it was a pig on and off road.

Subaru’s are plenty off road worthy. Check these out. AWD Adventure Subaru Toyota Lift Kits & Accessories | ADF

Now Subaru are doing “wilderness” versions OEM 10” clearance, skids, AT tires,…

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Jeep for consumer use was a CJ first; "Civilian Jeep," Humvee was an H1; so is nomenclature. Jeeps tipped over too much in Vietnam, so the Humvee from AM General made all three frames, Humvee, then the H1 and H2, not the H3, consumer products until the recession. Not a lot of difference between Humvee and H1 except for suspension and payloads and different configurations. Speed was never a factor, with different configurations, a top speed of 70 was requested for safety. If you want a jacked-up all-wheel drive "car," get a Subaru. You can lift anything.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

1 - 20 of 24 Posts