Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Live in Colorado, with sun and altitude year-round it will wreak havoc on an interior of a car and cause way too much A/C utilization. Does the roof blackout? I hear there is no sunshade? It may work well in the Midwest but will cook the interior way over 120 out here most times of the year, and when in the very high elevations, not much insulation? Any input?

·
Registered
12 Posts
My bigger concern is the cold. My Grand Cherokee has a sunroof and in winter (also Colorado I can feel the heat loss. I close the shade and the cabin warms up noticeably, especially by my head. I'm hoping someone in the aftermarket makes a removable shade, like one fold-up or rolling ones for a windshield.

·
Registered
935 Posts
My bigger concern is the cold. My Grand Cherokee has a sunroof and in winter (also Colorado I can feel the heat loss. I close the shade and the cabin warms up noticeably, especially by my head. I'm hoping someone in the aftermarket makes a removable shade, like one fold-up or rolling ones for a windshield.
How long before someone gets in an accident because the shade falls and startles them or obstructs their vision/controls?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Good point, but you can get just as much thermal loss out of the windshield and windows than you could from a heavily insulated roof panel.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good point, but you can get just as much thermal loss out of the windshield and windows than you could from a heavily insulated roof panel.
True, maybe that's why I see so many people driving without brushing off the snow except right in front of the driver, extra insulation. Can't do much about the windows, but covering up the back part of the sunroof could help a bit while still letting light in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Great thing is, being an electric vehicle, the interior of the Rivian should heat up quickly in the cold winter months since the heating system doesn't rely on hot coolant from the engine to warm the air flowing through your vents.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have Tesla Model 3 with all glass roof. We've been in over 100 degree weather and direct sunlight for long period of time while driving without any issue. I was planning to get the roof shade insert initially but really have no need.

As for the snow, I don't know. I'm in SoCal so unless I go to the mountains it doesn't happen. But as JulianD mentioned above, I would imagine (since Tesla has it) that you can turn on the interior temperature setting prior to getting into the car. Once the temperature is reached, then maintaining it shouldn't be a big deal - in either direction.

When I ordered the R1S, it didn't bother me at all that it has a glass roof.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I have Tesla Model 3 with all glass roof. We've been in over 100 degree weather and direct sunlight for long period of time while driving without any issue. I was planning to get the roof shade insert initially but really have no need.

As for the snow, I don't know. I'm in SoCal so unless I go to the mountains it doesn't happen. But as JulianD mentioned above, I would imagine (since Tesla has it) that you can turn on the interior temperature setting prior to getting into the car. Once the temperature is reached, then maintaining it shouldn't be a big deal - in either direction.

When I ordered the R1S, it didn't bother me at all that it has a glass roof.
From my understanding Tesla roofs block 98-99% UV Rays. I also didn't know they can turn orange in heat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
From my understanding Tesla roofs block 98-99% UV Rays. I also didn't know they can turn orange in heat.

The orange you see is the light refracting with water or frost/drew. The "orange" layer is what provides the UV/heat protection. Its there all the time since its a layer sandwiched between other layers.

Incidentally, my 2018 has it but when I see the newer Model 3s and Ys, I don't notice the orange color in the rain or wash (but I still do on S and X). Tesla may have gone to a different approach for 3 and Y.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts