Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help settling an argument with a friend of mine. Does the R1S come with a power rear hatch window? I haven't seen anything to suggest that it does but my friend is adamant that it does just like a 4Runner.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I need some help settling an argument with a friend of mine. Does the R1S come with a power rear hatch window? I haven't seen anything to suggest that it does but my friend is adamant that it does just like a 4Runner.

The R1S has a split rear hatch (Probably 75% top and 25% bottom., the upper portion is power open and close. The lower portion is manual.

·
Registered
854 Posts
The R1S has a split rear hatch (Probably 75% top and 25% bottom., the upper portion is power open and close. The lower portion is manual.
OP was asking about the WINDOW -- not the hatch.

No, I have seen no indication that the window is anything other than fixed glass.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't think so unless they have changed something or will change something between now and production deliveries. Power window would be cool but even if it just manually flipped open (like the Highlander) that would be awesome. Its a pain to have to open the hatch just to grab or put something quick.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OP was asking about the WINDOW -- not the hatch.

No, I have seen no indication that the window is anything other than fixed glass.
I don't think so unless they have changed something or will change something between now and production deliveries. Power window would be cool but even if it just manually flipped open (like the Highlander) that would be awesome. Its a pain to have to open the hatch just to grab or put something quick.
That's what I figured, thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
This is the response I got from Rivian:

"The rear hatch glass does open, but is a split window so openly opens up. It is not powered nor does it roll up or down like the video you attached." (I linked the 4Runner video) "So there is a door and window, that's why it's split. You have to open the bottom rear door to open the back window."

·
Registered
248 Posts

"The rear hatch glass does open, but is a split window so openly opens up. It is not powered nor does it roll up or down like the video you attached." (I linked the 4Runner video) "So there is a door and window, that's why it's split. You have to open the bottom rear door to open the back window."
I don’t want to say they are wrong but none of that makes sense.

It may open but I have never seen it open and certainly does not look like it opens. It makes even less sense that you would have to open the bottom portion of the split hatch to open the top. Seems completely backwards to me and would render the power rear hatch unusable unless you manually opened the bottom section.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
466 Posts

It may open but I have never seen it open and certainly does not look like it opens. It makes even less sense that you would have to open the bottom portion of the split hatch to open the top. Seems completely backwards to me and would render the power rear hatch unusable unless you manually opened the bottom section.
Agree. I think CS is talking about the entire upper liftgate, not just the glass.

·
Registered
138 Posts

Agree completely. The split rear opening is not uncommon - I have that arrangement on my 2008 XC-90. On my Volvo, and every other car I've ever seen with the feature, you need to open the upper section before you can release the lower. There is no benefit to a reverse arrangement, at least not one that's obvious.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts

Agreed.

It wasn't a great response, especially with the 4Runner video that makes it clear what exactly the question is about. I take it that they have limited automotive knowledge, if that.

How would everyone here prefer to have the window open if Rivian does it with a future year model?
IMO, a completely motorized setup that rolls down/up is best.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
466 Posts
Agreed.

It wasn't a great response, especially with the 4Runner video that makes it clear what exactly the question is about. I take it that they have limited automotive knowledge, if that.

How would everyone here prefer to have the window open if Rivian does it with a future year model?
I’m getting the truck vs. the SUV, but I really like the power roll down window in my 4Runner. It’s especially nice when you want to ride with the windows open since it allows air to pass through the cabin vs circulating inside of it and being super noisy. Just have to be aware of any papers or light objects that might blow out!

Reactions: eHauler

·
Registered
854 Posts
If they could make the solid rear window roll all the way down, without affecting the gear tunnel, bed space, or interior space, then that'd be great... But if it compromises any of those features I'd rather it remain a solid piece of fixed glass.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
If they could make the solid rear window roll all the way down, without affecting the gear tunnel, bed space, or interior space, then that'd be great... But if it compromises any of those features I'd rather it remain a solid piece of fixed glass.
I hope that happens. It will be interesting to see what can be added in the future and if Rivian built some areas with obvious signs of future considerations.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Jeep wranglers have a horizontal hinge on top that opens glass manually, but a vertical hinge on the right that opens the gate. Frustratingly on the wrangler, you must open the back gate before opening glass. And you must close the glass before closing the back gate with tire mounted. I dislike this design. Actually, I dislike almost everything about the wrangler except its rock crawling ability. Please, please Rivian hurry with the R1S.

·
Registered
3 Posts

My 2019 Yukon (sold in this highly inflated pre-owned market) had a power lift gate in the back. If desired, one can manually open the window only like a hatch with the liftgate closed. This would allow reaching in and grabbing or placing an item in the storage location. I assume that the R1S would have something similar even if manually operated.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts