Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be normal, or maybe not. I have my truck set to stay unlocked and not use gear guard at home. Whenever I walk near my truck in my garage the taillights blink (normal from what I understand) and the is a strange noise that comes from behind the front bumper (not sure this is normal). The noise is a creaking/mechanical noise.

· Registered
16 Posts
This may be normal, or maybe not. I have my truck set to stay unlocked and not use gear guard at home. Whenever I walk near my truck in my garage the taillights blink (normal from what I understand) and the is a strange noise that comes from behind the front bumper (not sure this is normal). The noise is a creaking/mechanical noise.
Does the noise sound like a slow creeking (plasticy) door closing? If so, I have the same issue. Seems behind front bumper, off center towards driver side. Started within the last week. Does it when we approach the truck from house, after sitting idle and off for a reasonable period.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the noise sound like a slow creeking (plasticy) door closing? If so, I have the same issue. Seems behind front bumper, off center towards driver side. Started within the last week. Does it when we approach the truck from house, after sitting idle and off for a reasonable period.
That’s the sound for sure.

· Registered
365 Posts
Actually I had this problem soon after talking delivery in June. I described it to service as “Count Dracula’s coffin opening”. The SC was able to fix it, apparently the louvers were rubbing up against a rubber hose or something during operation. So it’s a fixable known problem.

· Registered
659 Posts
I'd like to know what the tail light flashing thing is about? It never used to do this and it seems that approximately 2 software updates ago, this started happening. Problem is...it is random and I ma not sure how to perfectly duplicate it.

· Registered
53 Posts
I'd like to know what the tail light flashing thing is about? It never used to do this and it seems that approximately 2 software updates ago, this started happening. Problem is...it is random and I ma not sure how to perfectly duplicate it.
This is your truck waking up after detecting a Bluetooth Beacon. Basically acknowledging “I see you”. If you have proximity unlock enabled, it should unlock shortly after. If you don’t, it’ll just stay in a wake-up state for a couple minutes and then sleep again if the Bluetooth beacon goes away.

· Registered
659 Posts
This is your truck waking up after detecting a Bluetooth Beacon. Basically acknowledging “I see you”. If you have proximity unlock enabled, it should unlock shortly after. If you don’t, it’ll just stay in a wake-up state for a couple minutes and then sleep again if the Bluetooth beacon goes away.
How would that work in a parking lot? There cannot be any blue tooth signals in the parking lot or my garage. Yet I have seen it do both. I never use the blue tooth proximity to unlock doors. I 100% use the unlock button on the key fob. I keep the app off on my phone too.

· Registered
64 Posts
How would that work in a parking lot? There cannot be any blue tooth signals in the parking lot or my garage. Yet I have seen it do both. I never use the blue tooth proximity to unlock doors. I 100% use the unlock button on the key fob. I keep the app off on my phone too.
Look at the bluetooth settings on your phone and see if it is paired to your Rivian. Even if the app is off and proximity lock/unlock is off, paired bluetooth devices "talk" to each other to see if something has "changed". If the phone wasn't paired to the Rivian (already) you'd have to pair it before you could get proximity lock/unlock to work (since this setting is made in the Rivian).

· Registered
53 Posts
Bluetooth physical range is up to 330 feet so long as everything is to spec. If the truck is broadcasting bluetooth with more power than spec, or has a higher decibel antenna than spec, it could be even more sensitive than that. I do know that the truck has 4 Bluetooth sensors external to the vehicle for the purposes of proximity detection.

Sitting in my house I can see my car is connected to Phone Key, Sensor 1, Sensor 3, and Sensor 4. Not connected: Rivian Audio, Rivian Camp Speaker, and Rivian Wallbox (the charger).

Regardless of keeping the app connected or not, if your phone is bluetooth paired with the truck, the phone itself will be looking for Bluetooth beacons and so will your truck. Not to mention the Fob itself is also a bluetooth device.

· Registered
796 Posts
This is your truck waking up after detecting a Bluetooth Beacon
I have the flashing tail light thing, but I always have my phone Bluetooth turned off so I think there are also other reasons this could happen. With me, it happens a lot of times just as I walk into the garage without my phone or fob. It doesn't bother me too much, but if it contributes to vampire drain I'd like to see it addressed eventually.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts