Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
27/M/CA, just reserved an R1T on June 8. Haven't been able to configure yet, but super excited. Anyone have any timeline insights (configuring process, guide matching, delivery prospects etc.) for late birds like me? Thanks!

Side note: Any (big, multiple) dog owners planning to haul their pack with an R1T? Please drop your ideas!

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Welcome to the forum. How are you going to spec it? Any accessories you will be getting to make the R1T more dog friendly?
Would love to see pics of your furry friends :D

·
Registered
358 Posts
The change to the Rivian website in which "you pays your money and ya takes your chances" in terms of actually choosing a configuration is very new, and I don't think anyone at this point knows how it works, let alone delivery timing. The ordering and delivery process at Rivian has always been inscrutable (something Rivian could easily fix but appears to have chosen not to) but is now, as outlined below, nearly completely dysfunctional.

Most (maybe all) folks who put pre-orders in place before 2022 got emails last December with their "delivery windows". Unfortunately, Rivian has had to revise those projected delivery dates for all but a relative handful of lucky people. To make matters worse, Rivian no longer appears to be fulfilling orders with much concern as to when they were made. As you may be aware, there are increasing, credible reports of folks who ordered only a few months (in one recent case, only a few weeks) ago getting their vehicles. The reasons for this are not apparent, and Rivian has not seen fit to provide any clarifying information, but it has, unsurprisingly, had the effect of really pissing off folks who've been waiting 2 and even 3 years for their vehicles. The process has come to be called - appropriately in my view - the Rivian Lottery.

I don't know what your odds of winning the Rivian Lottery are, but they're apparently not zero, so you could see an R1T in driveway in a few months. More likely however, you will be nearer the back of a 90,000-plus queue, which will in turn mean a substantial wait. It's really tough to say how long of a wait, but I'm reasonably certain it will not be as long as the 3 years mine will have been if the 1H2023 delivery window that Rivian provided is accurate (unlikely, my order is for a Max, so 2024 is a much better bet, putting the wait at 4 years.)

As to the dog issue, we downsized when our longtime pair (Dane and Setter), passed on after 12-1/2 and 15 years respectively, and now cart around two incredibly animated Welsh Springers. We have an SUV and use seat and cargo covers, along with moving blankets, to help protect the interior; the capacity for Welshies to find and retain copious amounts of grit, mud and flora is unmatched in our canine experience.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
27/M/CA, just reserved an R1T on June 8. Haven't been able to configure yet, but super excited. Anyone have any timeline insights (configuring process, guide matching, delivery prospects etc.) for late birds like me? Thanks!

Side note: Any (big, multiple) dog owners planning to haul their pack with an R1T? Please drop your ideas!
Welcome @cfng1094, if you're looking for covers the Tesmanian dog seat cover can work in the R1T.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum. How are you going to spec it? Any accessories you will be getting to make the R1T more dog friendly?
Would love to see pics of your furry friends :D
Thanks a lot! I'm looking at:

Explore or Adventure (undecided yet)
Dual Motor
Large Pack
Red Canyon or Rivian Blue
20" All-Terrain
Black Mountain

Tow Hooks
All-Weathe Mats
Cargo Crossbars
Wall Charger

I am hoping production ramps up quickly enough to make this happen. In any case, here are the floofers!
6 year old Thai ridgeback, 4 year old Dogo Argentino, 3 year old Peruvian hairless dog, 1 year old Kyrgyz Taigan.
Dog Photograph Vertebrate White Black

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The change to the Rivian website in which "you pays your money and ya takes your chances" in terms of actually choosing a configuration is very new, and I don't think anyone at this point knows how it works, let alone delivery timing. The ordering and delivery process at Rivian has always been inscrutable (something Rivian could easily fix but appears to have chosen not to) but is now, as outlined below, nearly completely dysfunctional.

Most (maybe all) folks who put pre-orders in place before 2022 got emails last December with their "delivery windows". Unfortunately, Rivian has had to revise those projected delivery dates for all but a relative handful of lucky people. To make matters worse, Rivian no longer appears to be fulfilling orders with much concern as to when they were made. As you may be aware, there are increasing, credible reports of folks who ordered only a few months (in one recent case, only a few weeks) ago getting their vehicles. The reasons for this are not apparent, and Rivian has not seen fit to provide any clarifying information, but it has, unsurprisingly, had the effect of really pissing off folks who've been waiting 2 and even 3 years for their vehicles. The process has come to be called - appropriately in my view - the Rivian Lottery.

I don't know what your odds of winning the Rivian Lottery are, but they're apparently not zero, so you could see an R1T in driveway in a few months. More likely however, you will be nearer the back of a 90,000-plus queue, which will in turn mean a substantial wait. It's really tough to say how long of a wait, but I'm reasonably certain it will not be as long as the 3 years mine will have been if the 1H2023 delivery window that Rivian provided is accurate (unlikely, my order is for a Max, so 2024 is a much better bet, putting the wait at 4 years.)

As to the dog issue, we downsized when our longtime pair (Dane and Setter), passed on after 12-1/2 and 15 years respectively, and now cart around two incredibly animated Welsh Springers. We have an SUV and use seat and cargo covers, along with moving blankets, to help protect the interior; the capacity for Welshies to find and retain copious amounts of grit, mud and flora is unmatched in our canine experience.
Thanks for the elaborate response! Fingers crossed that the company will be able to deliver for all parties at a reasonable time, and that production will ramp up enough as to not keep us all waiting too much longer. My friend who works as a tech in the company also spoke of this Rivian Lottery concept, as well as the supply chain issues going on and issues finding transporters for the vehicles already built.

Thank you for sharing about the Springers! A dirty dog is a working dog :) I'm planning to have at least 2 crashproof crates in my R1T bed at all times, in hopes of not needing to transport the dogs on the actual inside of the vehicle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dual motor isn’t supposed to enter production until 2024…. So unless you’re open to switching to quad motor, the “rivian lottery” isn’t going to help you.
Dual motor isn’t supposed to enter production until 2024…. So unless you’re open to switching to quad motor, the “rivian lottery” isn’t going to help you.
Really good to know, thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
In the same boat as you...kinda..I put down a reservation for a R1S 2 months ago and actually just put one in for the R1T a few days ago. My cousin put in his reservation in late January and actually received his truck about 2 weeks ago!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
In the same boat as you...kinda..I put down a reservation for a R1S 2 months ago and actually just put one in for the R1T a few days ago. My cousin put in his reservation in late January and actually received his truck about 2 weeks ago!
Welcome @Jordan! Do you have a preference between the R1T and R1S? Or are you just trying to get a vehicle as soon as possible?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for chiming in! Do you happen to know your cousin's configuration?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts