Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
522 Posts
I fully agree with others with some exceptions. In moderate to warm weather regen is superior to down shifting (engine braking), it is much more powerful then even a large V8. On snow/ice it is not as it can be too aggressive, I changed to my winter tires yesterday on the Tesla (it looks like our 3 days of fall is over time for full blown winter…) when I do the swap I put them in regen low and leave it that way until May when I remove my winter tires. Also cold, below ~50F you will have limited regen until the batteries warm from driving it, below ~30F you will have almost no regen. So if you were to live/park/camp near the top of a downgrade then start out with a cold truck regen wouldn’t be an option probably for the first 5-10 miles.

in summery, some conditions regen is better other conditions it is worse, but the only option other then friction brakes in an EV.

· Registered
522 Posts
Interesting replies; thank you.
It would be interesting to know:
1. The effect on regenerative braking for SOC between 95 and 100%
2. How finely (and dynamically) regen braking can be adjusted.
3. Is regen braking really meant to be an equivalent to downshifting an ICE transmission.
(It doesn't sound like it is designed as an equivalent if it disconnects under certain conditions).

Does anyone know how to ask Rivian these questions?

Thanks
I can tell you from 8 years and ~90k miles in EVs.
1# pretty much none, I have to get to 90-95% before regen gets to full power.

2# very finely with the accelerator but it depends on your right foot modulation. A little more pedal a little less regen. On a long downhill I think the cruse control does a great job at maintain speed through regen, much better job then I could ever do. And totally different than ICEs.

3# What you need to understand is an ice engine brakes due to engine compression. EVs have no compression so downhill they will just freewheel it, the only way to engine brake is via Regen.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts