Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Hey @R1S2000. There's not a lot of info on the dual motor setup but InsideEVs mentioned this back in March:

The dual-motor setup biases more torque rearward and also features front-to-rear torque control, which will provide a high level of on-road and off-road performance, as well as towing capability.

Rivian's new motor, designed in-house, will propel the dual-motor powertrains.

·
Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
273 Posts
We have had plenty of vehicles doing all wheel drive with a single motor, so you could look at any number of solutions that are out there and guess what Rivian will do. As of now we know nothing at all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Tesla does AWD with a single motor per axle -- which is what Rivian will be doing with the dual motor setup.

If you're referring to a single (total) motor driving all four wheels, that is also possible... That's how ICE vehicles have done AWD for a century.
Yes that makes sense, but will it lock and power split 50/50 to each wheel is the question.
And yes I understand it’s possible on a ICE vehicle, and if they wanted on an EV too however that would involve a driveshaft which isn’t really ideal for an EV chassis.

·
Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
273 Posts
Which EV does AWD with a single motor?
I didn't say EV, just vehicles. My last 4 Audis have all had Quattro with a single motor, they figure it out. We get used to the EV 2 motors for 4 wheel drive but I am not sure that is how you have to do it, could be done with all sorts of solutions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't say EV, just vehicles. My last 4 Audis have all had Quattro with a single motor, they figure it out. We get used to the EV 2 motors for 4 wheel drive but I am not sure that is how you have to do it, could be done with all sorts of solutions.
Yes but highly doubt anyone will do a single motor AWD EV when it’s easier to do dual motor. The weight and packaging disadvantages of the powertrain, drivetrain losses, etc will prevent that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts