Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just posted this question on another forum, but wanted to see what you thought here.

After seeing what people are paying on eBay for the new Ford Bronco, my buddy asked me if I would pay an extra $1,000 (not towards the total price of the R1) to get bumped up on the list. I told him I wouldn’t do it because I personally didn’t see the value in it. Then he asked if there was an amount I would pay to move up on the list, and I told him everything is worth a price I guess. Obviously, it would depend on how far up the list and how much they wanted to charge.

So my question is… if you could pay a separate fee to move up on the list of deliveries, would you do it, and how much would you be willing to pay?

·
Registered
114 Posts
That would be a great way to piss off early reservation holders and disintegrate customer loyalty right from the beginning.

I'm happy not to be first b/c I expect the initial production will probably have a few quality issues as they learn how to transition to mass production.

·
Registered
2018 Porsche 718 Cayman S (mine) & 2020 Porsche Macan S (wifey)
10 Posts
I agree with Chris S, re. piss off the early reservation holders.

Also, I would not pay extra to be at the top of the list, since the R1S will be an addition to my garage. I would prefer the QC issues be resolved by the time my turn comes up.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I doubt Rivian will do it but there's a good chance that actual people that hold top spots could let them go for the right price. It's the best way to go about this and a thing that just happens on its own.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think if there was transparency about actual delivery backlog/dates this would be a non-issue. Right now nobody knows when they'll get their preorders and that's frustrating. Just give me a ballpark - is it Q1/2/3/4, 2021/2022/2023, etc. "Deliveries start January 2022" mean nothing to me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think if there was transparency about actual delivery backlog/dates this would be a non-issue. Right now nobody knows when they'll get their preorders and that's frustrating. Just give me a ballpark - is it Q1/2/3/4, 2021/2022/2023, etc. "Deliveries start January 2022" mean nothing to me.
I just put down a pre-order reservation on a Valve Steam Deck. In their system as soon as I had my reservation in, my pre-order shows an approximate delivery date (says Q1 2022 FWIW) based on my configuration and reservation time/day. I don’t see why Rivian can’t do something similar. It doesn’t have to be public - just put it in the existing configuration tool instead of “deliveries start…”

·
Registered
435 Posts
I just put down a pre-order reservation on a Valve Steam Deck. In their system as soon as I had my reservation in, my pre-order shows an approximate delivery date (says Q1 2022 FWIW) based on my configuration and reservation time/day. I don’t see why Rivian can’t do something similar. It doesn’t have to be public - just put it in the existing configuration tool instead of “deliveries start…”
You are asking them to give you information they do not have at this time and could not possibly project with any level of accuracy better than give or take a year.

They need to start deliveries, then see what the production ramp up looks like, see what the supply chain throughput trend is looking like, calculate out the number of vehicles they can produce in a month based on these numbers going forward, then look at where you are in the line and give an ETA for delivery.

I would venture to say the manufacturing of a game console is a little bit less complicated with 1 or 2 fewer parts than an electric vehicle. Even with that they still are only providing you a 3 month window for delivery (Q1, 2022) and not a specific date.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I won’t speak for others but I think a window of a quarter is just fine. Also, if Rivian has a delta of +/- a year then they are doing something horribly wrong. I work in the industry and I guarantee they have metrics and tracking where they can forecast the order of deliveries to a high degree of accuracy.

I am granting them a pass for now because I am personally living the life of the semiconductor industry supply chain issues due to COVID. That won’t last forever though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Interesting. Steam Deck's website currently shows Q2, 2022 "expected availability" for the two high-end systems, and after Q2, 2022 for the low-end 64GB system. Your order must have just squeaked in.

Steam Deck

·
Registered
21 Posts
Another issue with the idea of jumping ahead in line is that they won’t be delivering by order of reservation so much as location, build specs and where they have service centers/techs available. You could be number one in line and still not get your LE for months after deliveries begin.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.