Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While waiting for the delivery of the roof rack, a simple moving pad did just great. I also put a piece of water pipe insulation on the bike's down tube for extra comfort.
Wheel Tire Bicycle Automotive bicycle rack Bicycles--Equipment and supplies
Wheel Tire Bicycle Automotive bicycle rack Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

·
Registered
1,697 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Yes, pad over tailgate like, Cache, FOX, Dakine (or even a moving pad) all work if you don't mind giving up the bed storage. One word of caution with a moving pad is that the bikes can slide, so you might get inadvertent rubbing. I did this on local drives using my old beater pick-up and there was a little rubbing since the bikes aren't strapped like they are on a real tailgate pad, and the pad itself isn't affixed.

Even with the tailgate pad, I would be careful of the paint at the top of the tailgate. There isn't much protection for that strip of paint and I could see it starting to take some abuse. I have a strip of PPF to cover that paint right between the light bar and the tailgate as I type (as well as the front end, lights and hood).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes. The problem with a moving blanket is there is no way to strap the bikes in. A dedicated MTB tailgate pad will have a velcro strap or similar closure with some padding for your bike that keeps the bikes fixed in place. Highly recommended.
How about a PVC pipe between the top tubes and a ratchet strap to the cargo hooks? Just thinkin'.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wouldn't a standard tailgate pad work just as good? I understand why the roof rack would be important if you want to maintain cargo/hauling capabilities, but the tailgate pad is so easy if you don't need the bed for anything else. Tailgate Pad | Overland | FOX – The FOX Shop (ridefox.com)
Once our roof racks arrived, we went with the Yakima High Speed fork mounts (see picture). If you go for a "traditional" tail gate pad (which is what we had for years on our old truck), one note of caution. The Rivian tailgate/bed has a roller assembly so that with the tailgate down you get a complete elongated bed. Fitting the straps through this assembly might be a bit problematic: workable, but problematic. Thus the moving pad. And perhaps because of the thickness of the tailgate, the bikes were very stable.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

·
Registered
2 Posts
Once our roof racks arrived, we went with the Yakima High Speed fork mounts (see picture). If you go for a "traditional" tail gate pad (which is what we had for years on our old truck), one note of caution. The Rivian tailgate/bed has a roller assembly so that with the tailgate down you get a complete elongated bed. Fitting the straps through this assembly might be a bit problematic: workable, but problematic. Thus the moving pad. And perhaps because of the thickness of the tailgate, the bikes were very stable.
View attachment 6122
That looks nice

1 - 10 of 10 Posts