Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my buyer values is to get in my car, plug my phone in and use my voice/ears to do what I want instead of fingers/eyes. One of the reasons I don't want a Tesla is because it drives me crazy to see someone spend that kind of money and have to hang their phone from a vent with a $10 piece of plastic to interact with it. (And to be clear, I've been a big user of Android Auto since it came out).

When I asked Rivian customer service about this, they pointed to Alexa and talked about being able to control all the features of the car with your voice. That sounds pretty cool but it doesn't cover the two main things I do with my phone while driving - navigation with Google Maps and text messaging.

I assume we'll have a native navigation platform and that (like Tesla's) it won't be as good or accurate as Google Maps and Waze but that we will be able to control it with our voice. I think at this point text messaging won't be supported (only a phone feature).

What do you all think? Anyone have workarounds for these things or understand it differently?

Thanks!

·
Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
111 Posts
CarPlay and Android Auto should be standard features at this point. Period end of story, don't care if it is that way in a Honda Civic it should be that was in a 80k vehicle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree with the concerns with the UI. I really like car play. However, like Tesla, Rivian sees the value of owning the interface wholly to better integrate with vehicle features and to sell software like games.
I’ve heard Tesla maps are actually very good and that the biggest gripe was with music streaming. I’ll be interested to see what apps Rivian offers within its UI,but doubt it will ever support car play or android auto

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just keep giving them the feedback and (if they're delivered without it) sending pictures of how ridiculous phone mounts look in these vehicles.

Carplay/AA are not mutually exclusive with a high-end, proprietary system. CarPlay/AA could be offered as an app that runs in a window. Give you access to the stuff on the phone via the Rivian's screen, while not interfering with the other vehicle functions. Our Volt touch screen, CarPlay doesn't just take over. I can always go to the vehicle's Home Screen to operate the radio, see the charging info, etc., etc..

Just keep telling them we expected them to be better than Tesla and embrace industry best practices. Put a lot of emphasis on the fact that you will be using your phone, so it's best to make that experience as integrated and safe as possible. CarPlay and Android Auto are just two features of a complete and modern system.

·
Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
111 Posts
I agree with the concerns with the UI. I really like car play. However, like Tesla, Rivian sees the value of owning the interface wholly to better integrate with vehicle features and to sell software like games.
I’ve heard Tesla maps are actually very good and that the biggest gripe was with music streaming. I’ll be interested to see what apps Rivian offers within its UI,but doubt it will ever support car play or android auto
I understand why Rivian/Tesla want to own the UI however technically they could carve out a space of the center screen for the Carplay/AA interface. Audi/MB have massive display units in their cars, all digital controls but they support these functions. Their apps even integrate into them.

·
Registered
R1S Launch Edition
35 Posts
I'm not sure what Rivian is going to use for a Navigation engine; Tesla used Google previously for maps but their newer native opensource type Nav was actually better and improved/more up to date.

I would hope Rivian could give us some CarPlay functionality if we want it on most of that large center console screen, but we'll see. If they do good enough on the UI it shouldn't be needed though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If they don't support Android Auto and CarPlay I will probably cancel my pre-order. Being able to plug my phone in and have the familiar interface that knows my music, podcasts, frequented destinations, reservations, trip itineraries, etc is a must. When I am travelling and rent a vehicle this is the main feature I look for when selecting the make/model. It just makes things better. I'd hate to give that up. Please Rivian do the right thing and support what has become industry standard tech.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree, no carplay or AA just might be a deal breaker for me also, we do so much with our phone and I don't want to learn a separate UI when i am in the car, just want the same system everywhere, in all my cars. They have some time but I might also cancel my order just for this simple reason! Would be a shame.

·
Registered
R1S Launch Edition
35 Posts
CarPlay is pretty limited in its sizing and navigation capabilities. Made for smaller screens as of now and not custom sizes.
I’m confident Rivian will have a much more full features UI than Caplay could provide.
CarPlay navigation is not as accurate as well than a built in system.

·
Registered
554 Posts
CarPlay is pretty limited in its sizing and navigation capabilities. Made for smaller screens as of now and not custom sizes.
This hasn't been true for several years.

CarPlay definitely supports both custom screen sizes AND odd-shaped displays. CarPlay even supports two different screens, each having their own unique "view" and a third API-based feed that can be used to drive a HUD or other functionality.

"...support for dynamically changing screen sizes, second screens such as instrument clusters, and even irregularly shaped displays."

CarPlay navigation is not as accurate as well than a built in system.
Never been an issue for me. And the constantly-up-to-date maps, location info, and better search has been a huge benefit over factory nav.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Absolute DEALBREAKER. I was just heading over to the R1S configuration page eager to place my order, having followed Rivian since their debut, but this decision alone is enough to make me shop elsewhere. It's 2021. How can any car company think that any buyer would want to divorce themselves from their smart phone -- and all of the personal information it contains -- upon entering their own personal vehicle. Rivian is ignoring one of the oldest axioms in business: the customer is king. This isn't just about music or navigation or calling/texting, it's about having the ease and flexibility of plugging your portable, personal database into your own vehicle, so you can have complete access on or off road. Tesla makes the same mistake, so I won't be purchasing one of their products either. All I can hope is that Ford or GM or one of the other eVehicle start-ups will treat their customers with greater respect and offer them a number of options.

·
Registered
153 Posts
It's awfully arrogant to assume your customer use case is the only customer use case.

As an information security professional I have no desire to completely integrate my 'personal database' with my automobile. As it is, I keep as little sensitive information on my mobile devices as possible. You should do the same.

I'm a bit surprised you're just now finding this out if you've been following Rivian from the start. This has been announced for the better part of... forever. I can't even remember a time when I was looking at Rivian but was unaware of the Alexa over CarPlay decision.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's awfully arrogant to assume your customer use case is the only customer use case.

As an information security professional I have no desire to completely integrate my 'personal database' with my automobile. As it is, I keep as little sensitive information on my mobile devices as possible. You should do the same.

I'm a bit surprised you're just now finding this out if you've been following Rivian from the start. This has been announced for the better part of... forever. I can't even remember a time when I was looking at Rivian but was unaware of the Alexa over CarPlay decision.
I don't consider offering customer's a choice "arrogance." To the contrary, Rivian's preliminary decision (the vehicles aren't even out yet) could be viewed as such. Finally, if you're truly a "security professional," you should direct your concern towards Alexa.

I only speak for myself, of course, and I'll vote with my dollars. Just since posting in this forum, I've learned that Ford, Chevy, Hyundai, BMW, Audi and Volvo all offer Apple CarPlay & Android Auto in their electric car offerings -- something that will likely continue as their models proliferate.

·
Registered
153 Posts
EDIT because the post I was replying to was deleted and I didn't have it quoted. I wasn't just talking to myself across multiple comments.

How can any car company think that any buyer would want to divorce themselves from their smart phone -- and all of the personal information it contains -- upon entering their own personal vehicle. Rivian is ignoring one of the oldest axioms in business: the customer is king.
Pretty arrogant, in my mind. As I said, your assumption that you're the only customer use case is the issue. This statement is directly at odds with your "I only speak for myself".

I'm unclear how decisions Rivian makes about a Rivian product prior to building and releasing that product would qualify as arrogance. To me that sounds more like a design decision (that you personally don't like).

I'm not exactly thrilled with Alexa integration, and not just for security/privacy reasons. Still, it's their choice, and plenty of people are still reserving vehicles, so it must not be the giant flaming middle finger to the consumer you seem to think it is.

Are you able to enumerate the features of CarPlay that the Alexa Auto integration doesn't provide? It seems to me that Alexa Auto has continued to mature and is mostly at feature parity with the other solutions out there. I personally don't know since I don't use any of them 🤷

·
Registered
554 Posts
Pretty arrogant, in my mind.
It's not arrogant to want a feature that adds a high level of value to some, and is completely transparent to the rest. There is ZERO DOWNSIDE to supporting CP/AA.

Are you able to enumerate the features of CarPlay that the Alexa Auto integration doesn't provide? It seems to me that Alexa Auto has continued to mature and is mostly at feature parity with the other solutions out there.
There is almost NO overlap in features. Alexa is a voice assistant -- that's it.

CarPlay lets you run apps on your phone and display them on the vehicle displays and interact with them through vehicle controls (touch screen, buttons, and voice).

Alexa doesn't let you choose your navigation app. CarPlay does. Like Apple Maps? Or Google Maps? Or Waze? Or A Better Route Planner? Or some other app that neither I nor Rivian have heard of? No problem! CarPlay has you covered.

Want to use a music app other than what Rivian chooses to support? CarPlay to the rescue.

Want to use advanced messaging features beyond what is in the (limited) SMS standards? CarPlay can!

Want to use the SAME interface in multiple vehicles and can't afford or don't have the control over purchasing to ensure they're always the same brand? CarPlay!

Want better audio quality than what Bluetooth offers? CarPlay!

Want integration to any app/service other than what Rivian chooses to implement? CarPlay!

Alexa provides almost ZERO overlap in functionality over CarPlay.

I personally don't know since I don't use any of them 🤷
Pretty arrogant, in my mind, for someone who admits to knowing nothing about a topic to go around calling other people names.

·
Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
111 Posts
Maybe part of the deal to build 100k Amazon vehicles was Alexa integration with nothing else... that would make sense. Will it stop me from buying a Rivian? Not sure so guess the answer right now is no. I have had CarPlay for years and love it, use it every single time I get in the car. If the Rivian system provides amazing features we haven't seen before from an Alexa integrated one, who knows. I am holding my judgement on this for a few months.

·
Registered
153 Posts
It's not arrogant to want a feature that adds a high level of value to some, and is completely transparent to the rest. There is ZERO DOWNSIDE to supporting CP/AA.

There is almost NO overlap in features. Alexa is a voice assistant -- that's it.

CarPlay lets you run apps on your phone and display them on the vehicle displays and interact with them through vehicle controls (touch screen, buttons, and voice).

Alexa doesn't let you choose your navigation app. CarPlay does. Like Apple Maps? Or Google Maps? Or Waze? Or A Better Route Planner? Or some other app that neither I nor Rivian have heard of? No problem! CarPlay has you covered.

Want to use a music app other than what Rivian chooses to support? CarPlay to the rescue.

Want to use advanced messaging features beyond what is in the (limited) SMS standards? CarPlay can!

Want to use the SAME interface in multiple vehicles and can't afford or don't have the control over purchasing to ensure they're always the same brand? CarPlay!

Want better audio quality than what Bluetooth offers? CarPlay!

Want integration to any app/service other than what Rivian chooses to implement? CarPlay!

Alexa provides almost ZERO overlap in functionality over CarPlay.

Pretty arrogant, in my mind, for someone who admits to knowing nothing about a topic to go around calling other people names.
I called nobody a name. You conveniently ignore what I quoted as being arrogant - the assumption that their use case is the same as every other person's use case.

As far as feature parity between the two - I think you're missing out on a number of Alexa-related features that address some of what you think can't be done with it.

I could keep googling, but so could you.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts