Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More details on owning a Rivian
People packing an R1T

We appreciate having your support and commitment as we continue this journey together.

In preparation for deliveries, we’ve updated our website with new details on owning a Rivian — from ordering online and taking delivery at home, to a map of the locations for our network of fast chargers, the Rivian Adventure Network.

At the plant, we are working through validation and bringing up our production lines. We are focused on quality and consistency as we begin ramping up our volume week-by-week through spring and summer. Many of you have spotted our camouflaged development vehicles being tested across the US. With hundreds of vehicles in this test fleet across several build phases, these development vehicles help us ensure that you are extremely happy with what we ultimately deliver to you. Our confidence in your satisfaction is demonstrated in our 7-day, 1,000-mile return policy.

Delivery timing will be based on your original preorder date, plus two additional factors:

Where you take delivery

To provide the best ownership experience, our delivery schedule is synced with the growing coverage of our Rivian Service Centers, Mobile Service fleet and available charging infrastructure. Now is a good time to update your address in your Rivian Account.

What you configured

We will initially be building similarly configured vehicles grouped by paint color, interior package and option choices. Grouping vehicles this way helps us accelerate our ramp up and deliver as many vehicles to customers as possible.

A dedicated Rivian Guide will be assigned to every preorder holder. Guides will begin reaching out in May based on the above three factors, however, due to the large number of preorders, many of you won’t be in this initial cohort of outreach. We expect every Launch Edition preorder holder to meet their Guide by Thanksgiving. From that point forward, your Guide will be with you every step of the way — from purchase to delivery and beyond.

This summer, we will be kicking off a test drive program to get you behind the wheel and experiencing our vehicles firsthand. We will be giving Launch Edition preorder holders first access, helping you prepare for the adventures you’ll soon be taking. Our schedule and program details will be announced soon.

We look forward to meeting you soon and planning your delivery. Until then, you can find more on our online Support Center, including links to email, chat or call. Our team is available 8AM to 8PM CT. And please visit our updated website for more on our ownership experience.

Here’s to many adventures ahead.

— The Guides

·
Registered
34 Posts
A dedicated Rivian Guide will be assigned to every preorder holder. Guides will begin reaching out in May based on the above three factors, however, due to the large number of preorders, many of you won’t be in this initial cohort of outreach. We expect every Launch Edition preorder holder to meet their Guide by Thanksgiving. From that point forward, your Guide will be with you every step of the way — from purchase to delivery and beyond.

Does this mean some people won't get their Launch edition until around Thanksgiving? or does it mean they won't meet their guide until thanksgiving??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Does this mean some people won't get their Launch edition until around Thanksgiving? or does it mean they won't meet their guide until thanksgiving??

I am guessing the first part, some people wont be getting their LE until thanksgiving.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I think we all knew on some level there would be a ramp -- start slowly, increase throughput as the kinks get worked out. Even if you assume all LEs will be out this year (which I have always thought are words the forums put in Rivian's mouth), a ramp means most LEs will be built in the second half of their respective windows. I honestly don't expect more than some token initial deliveries in June, a few more in July, with an ever-increasing clip. The R1S would see a similar slow start in August, a few more vehicles in September, then picking up in October - December.

Add to that the fact that you probably won't be finalizing your order until you're, say, 4 weeks from delivery... I would expect that most LE pre-orders get finalized in the fall. So my wild-ass guess is only a quarter to a third of orders will be finalized over the summer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I configured the LE R1T Launch Green, black interior, with All terrain wheels. I feel like that might be what they start with. (vehicles grouped by paint color, interior package and option choices )

·
Registered
2019 Zero SR/F and 2018, BMW i3
182 Posts
The email doesn't differentiate R1S and R1T so my guess is that most R1T preorders will be getting contacted way before thanksgiving. I ordered the R1S and got the same email. Given that R1S deliveries starts on August, thanksgiving doesn't look too bad.

The nice thing in the email is the 7 days / 1000 miles policy!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Wow, I thought we'd be all getting LE in June. I'm assuming I will in JUne, since my reservation date was 12/8/2018.
"Deliveries begin June 2021"

Could mean that they'll deliver a single vehicle on June 30th or 1,000 vehicles during that month.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Wow, I thought we'd be all getting LE in June. I'm assuming I will in JUne, since my reservation date was 12/8/2018.
Definitely not. And it was never going to be that way. Rivian has been very clear that LE deliveries START in June and will go through the end of 2021.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not wanting to rain on your parade, but I feel like whether or not you're close to a service center will likely end up being one of the biggest factors on when you'll receive your Rivian.

The email makes it pretty clear that unless you're close to a service center or have a mobile tech in your region, you'll be bumped down the list, regardless of preorder date. Let's hope you're in a relatively major city with a good charging infrastructure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Keep in mind they have to include R1S orders in LE as well which start in August, So November is probably the last of the R1S orders. R1T is a different boat as they start way earlier.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
307 Posts
I configured the LE R1T Launch Green, black interior, with All terrain wheels. I feel like that might be what they start with. (vehicles grouped by paint color, interior package and option choices )
Because the streets are just flooded with a Launch Green test vehicles? :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Not wanting to rain on your parade, but I feel like whether or not you're close to a service center will likely end up being one of the biggest factors on when you'll receive your Rivian.

The email makes it pretty clear that unless you're close to a service center or have a mobile tech in your region, you'll be bumped down the list, regardless of preorder date. Let's hope you're in a relatively major city with a good charging infrastructure.
Yes, pretty sure I'll be at the top of the list.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thinking that November will be the last of the R1S guide contacts (projected). With R1T deliveries starting 2 months prior to the R1S launch, I’m hoping that means the last of the R1T guide contacts will be no later than September. We still don’t know the time between contact and delivery though... 🤔

And here’s the chicken/egg part of all this— one of the three criteria for determining delivery timing is how we configure our vehicles, so they can maximize production efficiency. But, if our final configuration doesn’t happen until we are assigned a guide, how does Rivian determine overall production numbers to set the timeline in the first place?

Said another way, they need our final config’s to determine priority... that looks to happen with our guides... guides contact us in a prioritized sequence... Something must be off in my logic!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thinking that November will be the last of the R1S guide contacts (projected). With R1T deliveries starting 2 months prior to the R1S launch, I’m hoping that means the last of the R1T guide contacts will be no later than September. We still don’t know the time between contact and delivery though... 🤔

And here’s the chicken/egg part of all this— one of the three criteria for determining delivery timing is how we configure our vehicles, so they can maximize production efficiency. But, if our final configuration doesn’t happen until we are assigned a guide, how does Rivian determine overall production numbers to set the timeline in the first place?

Said another way, they need our final config’s to determine priority... that looks to happen with our guides... guides contact us in a prioritized sequence... Something must be off in my logic!
My guess is they will go off of the R1T, Location, and reservation number to start making the contacts and then adjust manufacturing from there.

The only variable then is the final configuration and then that can be plugged in to start the process. After the first few runs, they will have contacted enough people to keep the beast fed for the rest of the runs adjusting as they go based on final configurations.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My guess is they will go off of the R1T, Location, and reservation number to start making the contacts and then adjust manufacturing from there.

The only variable then is the final configuration and then that can be plugged in to start the process. After the first few runs, they will have contacted enough people to keep the beast fed for the rest of the runs adjusting as they go based on final configurations.
Yeah, that makes sense. I just keep trying to find ways to reassure myself I won’t be last in the queue because I live in a low population state, and probably far from any service centers Rivian will likely prioritize— even though I have a relatively early reservation date. Haven’t seen many other reservations on the configuration spreadsheet for VT... 😬

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
307 Posts
Yeah, that makes sense. I just keep trying to find ways to reassure myself I won’t be last in the queue because I live in a low population state, and probably far from any service centers Rivian will likely prioritize— even though I have a relatively early reservation date. Haven’t seen many other reservations on the configuration spreadsheet for VT... 😬
They haven’t said that first contact is directly tied to your actual delivery date. So as stated above, I think first contact will be based on your place in the queue primarily, and then potentially your location. Once they get you to nail down your final config, they will schedule your delivery based on the production schedule. That could be just a few weeks for some, or a few months for others depending on your final config and location. Your place in line then changes to just prioritizing your delivery within the specific config and location delivery cohort that you’ve selected.

I’m still hopeful for a factory delivery option, but also understand that even factory delivery will likely be based on your location since they don’t want to put a bunch of vehicles into locations where they don’t have adequate service capacity yet.

As for VT, I don’t think that will hurt you too badly. My guess on service is that it’s based on distance. So you should have enough demand in neighboring states that are within 500 miles or so. Where it’s really going to potentially be an issue is the big low population density western and Midwestern states (and Alaska/Hawaii). States like WY, ND, SD will likely be at the back of the line. KS, NE, MO, AR probably just above that. I’d be surprised if they did any deliveries for AK or HI this year.

Reactions: EVnow!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts