Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
505 Posts
Yes, I have two and they have been working very well. Support at Emporia has been very responsive as well. They are out of Colorado.

The 2 I have are before they received UL listing but the quality is decent. I have had one for a little over a year, bought the second one about 4 months ago. Still waiting for my R1S but use it to charge the Model S with an adapter.

· Registered
Volvo XC40 Recharge, Porsche 911S, BMW i3 REX, Dodge RAM 3500, Audi RS6
20 Posts
Anyone have any experience with the Emporia Smart Electric EV level 2 charger?
I installed a 50Amp UL version back in June 2022 and it works great, including the app.

It is definitely not as polished as the 2 ChargePoint chargers I have used/installed previously.

For example, it doesn't come with knock outs in the back in case you want to flush mount it with the wire entering the box in the back. I ended up drilling a hole in the plastic to accommodate my install. Also, the cover is unnecessarily hard to take off with a bunch of screws only accessible from the back, so you really need access all around the box and can't mount it close to a wall. I suspect that's for safety, but Chargepoint has a more elegant solution by providing 2 separate covers that are easily removable from the front before you get to the wiring.

I only got the Emporia because of the much lower price ($449 vs. $800) and the fact that the company is in Colorado where I live.

So, I am happy with the device (haven't used their service) and would recommend it.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I have two and they have been working very well. Support at Emporia has been very responsive as well. They are out of Colorado.

The 2 I have are before they received UL listing but the quality is decent. I have had one for a little over a year, bought the second one about 4 months ago. Still waiting for my R1S but use it to charge the Model S with an adapter.
Thanks for the info. Just ordered one.

· Registered
354 Posts
I have had their Level 2 UL unit for the last 4 months, charging at 48amps it been great for the money, ($450) and the app is excellent in its function, data feedback and capabilities. Customer Service with Emporia has also been top notch!

· Registered
81 Posts
Will do. It came in the mail yesterday. Looks perfect. I was planning to do my own install but we may be having a new service out in as we are doing some remodeling. Not sure what my schedule is now for this.
Please provide an update once you install the wall box, I was looking at that one as well. Thanks
Sorry for the delay. The Wallbox was hooked up last week and It's going to work out great. Not much to report really... It was basically plug and play. Once I set up my wall box account and connected my phone to the unit, it was humming along nicely. Getting 11.4kW, nearly 25 mile / hour.

Ignore the ugly siding. We just removed some 40 year old vinyl siding and are looking forward to some new paint.

Wood Pliers Cable Font Gas

Oh, and here's my wife's new ID.4 (all in, baby!).

Vehicle Grille Car Automotive lighting Tire

I had been thinking that with two EVs in the house that we would really need a second Wallbox so that we could leverage the load balancing capabilities. Now I am not so sure that will be needed. We just won't be driving enough miles to make that necessary. Still nice to know that it's an option if we ever do need it.

Rectangle Font Parallel Circle Screenshot

· Registered
1,694 Posts
Why are you saying the Rivian won’t get the same charge rate? Just curious
Because it won't.

On a 50A circuit, your EVSE must be configured at 40A (de-rated to 80% to be compliant with NEC) and at 240V that is 9,600W. According to the EPA the R1T takes 480W from the wall for for every mile of usable range, so that's ~20 miles of range gained per hour of charging.

The EQS has an EPA rating of 350W, so that's ~27.4 mph. If you're getting 32 then you're doing slightly better than EPA estimate for that vehicle.

But the point is that different vehicles will gain different amounts of range for a given time on a certain charger simply because they have different efficiencies.

A Tundra may get 18mpg where a Prius gets 50mpg. Same concept. Your charger only delivers so much power (9,600W) and depending on how much energy your vehicle needs to go a mile, you'll get a different distance out of that power.

· Registered
81 Posts
Why are you saying the Rivian won’t get the same charge rate? Just curious
If you think of the charging rate as the kW delivered over time then the Rivian will charge at the same rate. It you talk about charging rate as miles gained per hour then no, it will not.

As mentioned above, different vehicles have different ranges per kWh. At 48 amps (which is what my charger pulls) my R1T charges at 11.4kw which is 11.4kWh delivered every hour. That equates to about 25 miles per hour of charging because the Rivian is estimating the range at about 2.2 miles per kWh. My wive's car on the same charger will also also gain 11.4kWh for each hour of charging but for her car it equates to over 30 miles because it has more range per kWh. Same charging rate, different range per kWh.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts