No email, but the website has this:Never saw an email from Rivian that stated this was going to happen just a bunch of posts. Last communication told me first half of 23
Just got my email. Much adiu about nothing. We will have ability to see estimated delivery n the configuator in October !!whoop, whoop….I’m anxiously awaiting the “end of September” email today to communicate new delivery window plans/ better communicate an October email. Anyone else waiting anxiously??
At this point, waiting a month to determine our ETA which will probably be bumped anyway is not a big deal. What I read into this email was the October 16th deadline to determine whether I should pick Limestone or El Cap Granite......this is a tough choice only using the online configurator.....there are so many different versions of real life photos that I can't choose.Delivery timing estimates are based on your original preorder date, delivery location and your saved configuration. For this initial update, we will use your preorder information as of October 16th to calculate your estimate. Your estimate should appear in your Account at the end of the month. We will share details of how the Account updates will work moving forward when the feature launches next month.
You have no idea how many people have been waiting literally years longer than you. I think you should feel fortunate to have the opportunity to move forward with your purchase this early.Never got any estimated delivery date but did get request of confirmation of my order on 10/1. I completed the purchase agreement and was told yesterday my truck was being prepared for shipment and expect to take 6-8 weeks for delivery to Bellevue, WA. That seems a little excessive. It is being shipped by rail. My original reservation was 7/5/2021. Sure hope it was worth the wait. I want to know how long most people had to wait for delivery after being notified it shipped.
I did hear yesterday that my number has come up! I wanted to change the colors in my config it has been locked in my profile. I've got a phone call setup for tomorrow to change. We'll see how long that delays delivery.I’m anxiously awaiting the “end of September” email today to communicate new delivery window plans/ better communicate an October email. Anyone else waiting anxiously??