Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I saw this article on the proposed new EV incentives and if I’m reading it correctly, the R1S will be excluded because it’s over $69k. Is that correct? And if so, I feel like that’s such a major oversight because a lot of the higher end EV’s will cost over $69k!

·
Registered
177 Posts
While the bill is not fully drafted and supported yet, these early bullet points could make their way to the final bill and if true, yes SUVs over $69K would be excluded.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I read the article and the credit will be for cars up to $55,000 and trucks up to $74,000.... But the stipulation at this point is only for unionized automakers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I read the article and the credit will be for cars up to $55,000 and trucks up to $74,000.... But the stipulation at this point is only for unionized automakers
Right but the R1S would be in the “SUV” category which is up to $69k and the R1S base price is $70k

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don’t like the Caps. I feel like everyone nottsr how much they pay for an EV should be able to take advantage of the incentive. Furthermore, I dare say incentivizing the “premium” buyer is key to a manufacture bottom line when it comes to further advancing EV technology.

·
Registered
2019 Zero SR/F and 2018, BMW i3
242 Posts
Right but the R1S would be in the “SUV” category which is up to $69k and the R1S base price is $70k
They could sell the car without tires for 69k. 🤣

Seriously, if this law passes I am 100% sure Rivian finds a way of lowering the base price by 1k.

Also, the base price is not 70k. We don't know the base price yet because they haven't opened the small battery version for sale. That for sure will be more than 1k cheaper.

·
Registered
43 Posts

Seriously, if this law passes I am 100% sure Rivian finds a way of lowering the base price by 1k.

Also, the base price is not 70k. We don't know the base price yet because they haven't opened the small battery version for sale. That for sure will be more than 1k cheaper.
Yeah there in lies the problem with this type of structure, manufacturers and consumers start choosing smaller batteries to get under the cap. Also I think having both an income restriction and a price cap is redundant. You can always contact your representatives to tell them what you think.

With a cap Rivian Blue gets a whole lot more expensive. I’d go with one of the free colors and add only the full size spare to stay under the cap.

·
Registered
2019 Zero SR/F and 2018, BMW i3
242 Posts
Yeah there in lies the problem with this type of structure, manufacturers and consumers start choosing smaller batteries to get under the cap. Also I think having both an income restriction and a price cap is redundant. You can always contact your representatives to tell them what you think.

With a cap Rivian Blue gets a whole lot more expensive. I’d go with one of the free colors and add only the full size spare to stay under the cap.
I think the cap is for the base price of the vehicle. You can still configure the car the way you want even if it ends up costing more than 69k at the end and get the incentive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think the cap is for the base price of the vehicle. You can still configure the car the way you want even if it ends up costing more than 69k at the end and get the incentive.
That would be great if that were the case and Rivian lowered to $69k!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I definitely don’t want the smaller battery so I guess I’m basing it off the vehicle I preordered

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi all,
I saw this article on the proposed new EV incentives and if I’m reading it correctly, the R1S will be excluded because it’s over $69k. Is that correct? And if so, I feel like that’s such a major oversight because a lot of the higher end EV’s will cost over $69k!

At this stage, YUP ! Some state will cover much of that. Those rules were written years ago when full size vehicles could be gotten for $30K. The National average today is over $45K and electric “full size vehicles” is over $50K.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My chat with a Rivian rep yesterday confirmed that their plant in Illinois in NOT union. That could of course change at some point. I also expressed concern that Rivian is considering a plant in Texas. No decision has been made with regard to a plant in Texas. Given the current Texas legislature's stance on voting rights and reproductive rights that would be a game changer for me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If they are considering Texas, it is definitely a “anti-union, no minimum wage, fire-at-will” people no matter the skill set. They are only considering Texas because more Trucks are sold in Texas than all the states.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts