Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to EV, Boston traffic (7 miles of start stop = 25 - 30 minutes) looking for best range from R1T. What mode selections would you make? What level regen? What else should I be thinking about?

Posting this to two forums for a little additional feedback.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I thought OutofSpec noted a lower profile, FWD mode for maximum range. That plus the usual, no jack rabbit starts (unless challenged by some "smoker" in a Raptor) and keeping momentum vs stopping and starting to a minimum. Though for seven miles, the EV doesn't lose range the way an ICE could by constantly running. I wouldn't get too concerned about saving range in that short distance/time and I'd go full height to see over traffic. Not like aerodynamics are in play.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Conserve mode (uses the two front motors instead of all four), max regeneration (instead of Standard); that's what I'm using on almost every drive. I hardly ever have to touch the brake pedal (though regen braking takes some getting used to and I had it on my previous hybrid as well but turned it off). But as EaglesPDX pointed out, that short drive, even in stop and go traffic, won't really take much! EVs do better in that kinda driving than they do on the highway anyway supposedly.

·
Registered
15 MS 70D, Chevy Bolt, Yamaha T700
21 Posts
New to EV, Boston traffic (7 miles of start stop = 25 - 30 minutes) looking for best range from R1T. What mode selections would you make? What level regen? What else should I be thinking about?

Posting this to two forums for a little additional feedback.
Maximize regen, avoid stop and start, use seat heaters and reduce using heater to the degree you can. Personally though, I just drive my EVs when I'm around town and plug in at home when needed. A few dollars extra a month is a fair price to stay comfortable. I do always maximize regen though.

·
Registered
514 Posts
As others have pointed out, there's little sense in fretting about range when you're doing city driving, which is a sweet spot for EVs because regenerative braking recaptures kinetic energy, and you don't go long distances anyway.

If you're concerned about saving energy don't drive like a maniac; avoid strong acceleration, anticipate slowdowns.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Ok How about this. Constant start/stop traffic is unavoidable, how much difference does regen make?
Regen makes very little difference in range. It is more efficient to start slow, coast often, and anticipate stops. That said get used to it and use it. Well since you are in MA except for when there is snow and ice on the road. On my Tesla I set Regen to low some time early October when I put on my winter tires then keep it on low until May when I switch back to summer tires. May be a few other reasons to switch it to low (like heavy rain) but for the most part on clear roads just leave it all the way up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts