Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We already have an existing 50 amp service to our garage. Anyone have a suggestion as to a charging system to use with it?

Also, can you set the Rivian to start and stop charging at a particular time? Living in CA I don’t want to have to go outside each night after peak hours to plug in.

Thx!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hit that lighting bolt image on the center dash screen and play with the charging schedule. YES, you can schedule timing of the charge and rate of amps via your Rivian center screen. You might also have a call and chat with your local power supplier because some have special programs for owners of EV with extra low rates in the middle of the night so you can schedule to charge at absolute lowest rate while you sleep and grid demand is super low. Use the mobile charger that came in the 'Frunk' of your Rivan, for many folks that is more than enough to charge back to 70 percent 'full' overnight on 50amp service. You might need adapter plug for whatever variation of 50amp receptacle you have but that's easy to find on Amazon, I have several because my 50 amp plugs at work are not NEMA 14-50 (mostly 6-50 at my shop).

I am in San Diego but I charge our Rivian in the middle of the day because we have big surplus solar power right in the middle of the day. At home as much as 6k surplus in the middle of the day, at my shop it can be 15k+ surplus in the middle of the day. Since the power company is paying/crediting us nearly squat for that surplus it makes sense for us to top up the battery in middle of the day. Thus, your best strategy may be different than mine and depend on the structure of your current rate plan (or optional rate plans you have yet to ask about) with your local utility. And perhaps time to consider solar? I have not paid any residential power bill whatsoever in more than 15 years here in California, and getting close to zero power bill at my commercial building as we near 100 panels installed (despite hundreds of light fixtures, and lots of big 240v 50 amp power eating equipment).

·
Registered
57 Posts
We already have an existing 50 amp service to our garage. Anyone have a suggestion as to a charging system to use with it?

Also, can you set the Rivian to start and stop charging at a particular time? Living in CA I don’t want to have to go outside each night after peak hours to plug in.

Thx!
Yes it will work fine. You can schedule charging time window. Mine shut down few times and gave charging error. Reset truck and since then no issues charging at scheduled time frame.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just installed a 50 amp line to my garage with a 6-50 NEMA plug. I bought a Chargepoint Home Flex to go with it. It won't charge as fast as the Rivian charger but its close enough for me. I like it because I can use the same Chargepoint app for my home charger and the Chargepoint networks. Do I like it? Beats me. My truck hasn't been delivered yet.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Have a Nema 14-50 in the garage. Have the Rivian wall charger. Quoted ~300 to change from the nema to the wall charger. Unsure if worth it or not. The wall charger is still sitting in the box in the house...

·
Registered
253 Posts
Have a Nema 14-50 in the garage. Have the Rivian wall charger. Quoted ~300 to change from the nema to the wall charger. Unsure if worth it or not. The wall charger is still sitting in the box in the house...
That's a bit outrageous for a swap from the NEMA to the charger unless they are pulling new wire... Its about as simple a changeover as its gets, turn off breaker, remove 14-50 receptacle, install Rivian wall charger, fish wires into charge and install 2 powers and a ground (2mins), turn on breaker and setup charger...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Indeed if you already have NEMA 14-50 in the garage I don't see much point installing the wall charger, sell it to somebody here and pocket the funds. With the included 'mobile' charger on that 14-50 you should be able to charge at 32 amps and reach 'full' easily enough, particularly if you leave it plugged in while you sleep it will always be full by morning. The wall charger can get you up to 48 amps, so you top up in an hour instead of several hours, does that make much difference for you? I installed the wall charger only because my house had zero 240 outlets of any sort, even a 30 amp dryer outlet would have been enough for me to forgo the wall charger.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Does that quote include whatever is required (e.g. new breaker) to allow you to run the wall charger at 48 amps? If so, then you can fairly decide if the additional charging speed is worth the added cost. If instead that's literally just connecting the wall charger to the existing 50 amp circuit then I would skip it or find another electrician. It's so simple my electrician did that work for free (converting Chargepoint Flex from plugged in to hard-wired) because it was easier and cheaper than adding a GFCI breaker.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Does that quote include whatever is required (e.g. new breaker) to allow you to run the wall charger at 48 amps?
Since 48-amp charging requires a 60-amp breaker it’s worth pointing out that since the OP has 50-amp service to his garage it’s likely his wiring is rated for 50 amps which means you can’t just swap out the 50-amp breaker and install a 60-amp breaker in it’s place. You’d have have to replace the wiring with that rated for 60-amp service.

·
Registered
562 Posts
it’s likely his wiring is rated for 50 amps which means you can’t just swap out the 50-amp breaker and install a 60-amp breaker in it’s place. You’d have have to replace the wiring with that rated for 60-amp service.
Yes, or alternatively keep the existing breaker and wiring and be sure to set the internal DIP switch in the Rivian charger so that the charger is limited to 40 amps. This way is a lot simpler and cheaper.

·
Registered
73 Posts
t's literally just connecting the wall charger to the existing 50 amp circuit then I would skip it or find another electrician. It's so simple my electrician did that work for free (converting Chargepoint Flex from plugged in to hard-wired) because it was easier and cheaper tha

I have the $20 breaker already. 1st electrician who did install couldn't find a 50A breaker for my box, so he put in the 60A breaker. Was told it wasn't too code, so I switched it myself to a 50A breaker when I could locate one.

Looking at the devices in the box though. I'm at 190A with oven, HVAC, Nema outlet and another device. Going to 60A would max out the box I think (200A subpanel).

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I have the $20 breaker already. 1st electrician who did install couldn't find a 50A breaker for my box, so he put in the 60A breaker. Was told it wasn't too code, so I switched it myself to a 50A breaker when I could locate one.

Looking at the devices in the box though. I'm at 190A with oven, HVAC, Nema outlet and another device. Going to 60A would max out the box I think (200A subpanel).
Are you reaching that conclusion by doing a proper load calculation? Or are you just adding up the total capacity of each breaker?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I may be wrong, but you're going to need the correct gauge wire if you go with a 60 amp breaker to your plug (6 gauge if I'm not mistaken). Wire is not cheap. If you're running it 100 feet you could be looking at $300-400.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I may be wrong, but you're going to need the correct gauge wire if you go with a 60 amp breaker to your plug (6 gauge if I'm not mistaken). Wire is not cheap. If you're running it 100 feet you could be looking at $300-400.
Charger is basically right behind the breaker box on the garage wall. Guessing 2-3 feet is probably more than enough.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've received my R1T and have charged it twice using the ChargePoint flex (50 amp breaker/40 amp charger). I'm not sure whether my vehicle is charging normally. After two charges (midnight to 2:30 am) I gained about 40 miles on one session and 50 miles on another. Charge limit is set at 85% but the vehicle charged up to approximately 65%. I'm not sure if this is a normal rate of charge or not. Anyone know?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've received my R1T and have charged it twice using the ChargePoint flex (50 amp breaker/40 amp charger). I'm not sure whether my vehicle is charging normally. After two charges (midnight to 2:30 am) I gained about 40 miles on one session and 50 miles on another. Charge limit is set at 85% but the vehicle charged up to approximately 65%. I'm not sure if this is a normal rate of charge or not. Anyone know?
That's about right for 2.5hrs at 40amps. Next time let it kick on as soon as you plug in and you will see the rate at which its adding mileage/power just to verify.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Your charge rate seems about what I would expect for a 2.5 hour session. Temperature can play a roll in charge rate. I have learned that miles gained is not easily compared from one person to another. With the vehicle constantly adjusting range based on your driving style as well as drive mode and the wheels you have installed, the miles gained in a charge session are not an apples to apples comparison from one owner to another. The rate of charge is. For instance, when I set my R1T to 40 amps I get a 9-10kw rate at 90 degree ambient temp. My R1T equates that to about 19-20 miles per hour in conserve mode with 20" AT tires.

Did the vehicle stop charging at 65% or did you end the charge session (either manually, or using the charging schedule feature)?
Computer Personal computer Peripheral Computer monitor Output device
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Circle

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks for the informative responses. From what I can tell the vehicle stopped the charging per the schedule I set (I set the schedule with the vehicle, not the charger, although that is available). However, it turns out my schedule was 12-4 am, not 12-2:30. I checked with ChargePoint and they said that the charger was working fine. This equates to about ten miles per hour, so I'm still a bit concerned.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My Flex is running at 32 Amps continuous and I’m getting about 14-15 miles/hour range added to my etron’s battery. 10 miles/hour at 40 Amps seems very low.
Look within the Chargepoint app under ’Charging Activity’ and you can see Cost; Energy and Distance added per charging session.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts