Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m not sure what to do. Was notified by Ford that I can convert my lightning reservation to an order immediately with anticipated delivery of spring 2023. I was a very early preorder for the lightning. I would much prefer a Rivian, preorder placed 2/2021 but haven’t had any recent update on delivery timing. I don’t have a whole lot of interest in buying the lightning and reselling it but it also seems like a missed opportunity to just give up the reservation. What would you do?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I’m not sure what to do. Was notified by Ford that I can convert my lightning reservation to an order immediately with anticipated delivery of spring 2023. I was a very early preorder for the lightning. I would much prefer a Rivian, preorder placed 2/2021 but haven’t had any recent update on delivery timing. I don’t have a whole lot of interest in buying the lightning and reselling it but it also seems like a missed opportunity to just give up the reservation. What would you do?
Better confirm with the dealer you plan on ordering with. Many of the dealers around my store are still whacking people on these cars even as orders. The Ford store next to me is $10,000 over on their “Best Price is on the window” ordering for Lightnings. They aren’t anything special from a performance standpoint. I mean, other than payload and size, the R1T beats it in about every category.

If you did try to resale, understand the market is cooling off significantly. We went from selling almost 200 cars a month at a smaller store to 140 in about 3 months. Used car prices have dropped about 20% and auctions aren’t brining the dumb money anymore. Carmax, Carvana and Vroom are no longer buying deep like they had been.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I was in the same position during Wave 1. I went back and forth a couple of days on whether I wanted to walk away and ended up ordering a F-150L Pro and it has been an awesome vehicle. To the point where I've wondered if I should cancel the Rivian (I didn't)

I'd recommend going through with it, you won't lose money on it if you decide to sell it. Or you may end up in my situation and just end up keeping both. Both are awesome in their own ways.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Well, if you ever feel the need to test drive a Lightning. Just borrow someone's F150. Probably the exact damn thing and looks just like 1 of over 500,000 of them on the road yearly.
I've driven the ICE, Hybrid, and BEV F-150s. They all drive differently. The Lightning is most different (probably due to weight and different rear suspension). But all three are noticeably different.

·
Registered
10 Posts
[/QUOTE
I was in a similar position as you. I had reserved the F-150 Lightning the second day we had an opportunity to and eventually felt slighted with how Ford prioritized particular states, dealers and social media influencers with no transparency on their ordering process. For a variety of reasons, I chose to cancel my reservation and wait for the R1S because I didn't have to deal with a dealer and I like the Rivian culture (not to mention the amazing SUV!). I might have had a chance to order the F-150 sooner than what I'll ultimately get delivery of the R1S but as another post mentioned, I'd be buying a truck that looked like a million others out there.

So - for better or worse, I've made my choice and am waiting now for the Rivian! Looking forward to sharing with the community once it comes.

Cheers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts