Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone considered the implications of bidirectional charging that the F150 is offering? Since I am seriously considering adding a battery back up to my home to supplement my solar PV system, this is a really huge benefit that is being offered by Ford over Rivian. The cost to do so is in the $20k range to meet my PV needs, so if I have the option, then applying that cost to the Ford instead means the Ford just became that much cheaper. I am seriously hoping Rivian will consider adding bidirectional charging as an option. For me that may be the difference in which vehicle I ultimately purchase. Curious to what thoughts others have on the subject.

· Registered
1,631 Posts
I'm not much a fan, tbh. If there's an emergency, the last thing I want is to lose my range and therefore have no exit strategy.

If you need to have a battery so power doesn't go out, ever, then can you also guarantee your car will always be in the garage and connected? If you're at work or somewhere else then your vehicle isn't providing any backup to your home and any family member or pet that may remain.

I'd keep a gas vehicle with a full tank if you expect to lose power for multiple days.

During shorter power outages, I can go without power, for an hour or two. Rivian will have some 115V outlets so I can run appliances or tools if I must.

When I install power I'll reconsider a dedicated battery and/or natural gas generator. I think a small battery pack and solar panels should be sufficient. I can run on solar most of the day, and the battery just needs to tide me over at evening/night/morning.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting take. For perspective, I am subject to tropical weather nearly yearly. Since I have a solar PV array, the primary purpose of the battery back up is to provide an energy source at night, and during the day it would charge back up from the PV panels. In the event of this situation, I would be at home, not "bugging out".

· Registered
35 Posts
I'm in Boomerdawgs camp.

We have brown outs and occasional outages in my little corner of suburbia... it would be nice to have juice to keep the lights on, fridge running, and able to cook dinner without worrying.

I don't think relying on it for when a Hurricane or massive forest fire is coming your way is wise, but having that little bit of coverage for brown outs and the like would be most welcome in my book (and as Boomer points out, a great deal cheaper than a dedicated battery system or even having a backup generator installed).

You still need a cut off put in place (so your house doesn't energize the lines and cook an unsuspecting line man), but again, way cheaper than all the other options.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.