Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A towing comparison of an F150EV rated 320 miles vs. a Silverado ICE equivalent. 90 miles rated at 320 is an 83% deration vs. 50%. Not sure why they didn't get an F150 ICE. The F150EV predicted 160 mile range, 50% with the 6,000# trailer, a camper with high profile by they get 90 miles. Should give an insight to Rivian towing.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It’s pretty clear that towing a large trailer with any EV is not practical, yet. EV’s just don’t have the range. When I ordered my R1T (which I received yesterday) I had visions of towing my Airstream all over the West, but after reviewing the degradation in range that was being reported by various sources and other owners, I realized it wasn’t feasible. Short haul trips with my R1T will be fun but I’ll have to revert to my Ram for the longer trips.

·
Registered
Launch Edition LG/FE
145 Posts
Well, there are a couple companies working on retrofit axles and batteries for putting under your trailer, much like the prototype Airstream- but I wouldn't expect anything for a couple years that way.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I ran a test a few weeks ago with my R1T towing my Keystone passport trailer at 55mph (about 4000' of elevation gain). It went 126 miles on 91% of my battery (efficiency was 1.11). I'm eyeing a Canada trip with my family later this year and there is one leg that is 144 miles between chargers. At this point I'm going to take the chance. I'll probably drive 50mph to be safe at first and if I need to unhitch close to the charger to go get a bump charge, I will.

I towed this same trailer with my '21 F150 Powerboost this summer. Efficiency dropped from 21mpg (unladen) to 8mpg with the trailer and bikes. Even with a 32 gallon tank I was stopping every 200 miles to refuel. Speed was more like 65-68mph. We are getting closer to these two being matched. If the Long Range pack gives you access to all 180kWh you'd be right at 200 miles of towing range at 55mph. I feel like this is minimum. To match my F150's efficiency (at 65mph) I would need a 280kWh battery pack - more than double what I have right now. At 55mph that decreases to 240kWh.

·
Registered
2022 Ford Mach E Premium ER AWD
48 Posts
I ran a test a few weeks ago with my R1T towing my Keystone passport trailer at 55mph (about 4000' of elevation gain). It went 126 miles on 91% of my battery (efficiency was 1.11). I'm eyeing a Canada trip with my family later this year and there is one leg that is 144 miles between chargers. At this point I'm going to take the chance. I'll probably drive 50mph to be safe at first and if I need to unhitch close to the charger to go get a bump charge, I will.

I towed this same trailer with my '21 F150 Powerboost this summer. Efficiency dropped from 21mpg (unladen) to 8mpg with the trailer and bikes. Even with a 32 gallon tank I was stopping every 200 miles to refuel. Speed was more like 65-68mph. We are getting closer to these two being matched. If the Long Range pack gives you access to all 180kWh you'd be right at 200 miles of towing range at 55mph. I feel like this is minimum. To match my F150's efficiency (at 65mph) I would need a 280kWh battery pack - more than double what I have right now. At 55mph that decreases to 240kWh.
This highlights the need for more EV chargers on secondary roadways and in states that have points of interest but few chargers looking at you AZ, NM, WY, MT, SD, ND, and parts of Texas. I'm sure RV parks can be used depending on how updated they are but I typically do more remote camping so range is a big deal.
ICE traveling with loads or trailers isn't much of an issue since you can find gas stations without much effort.
The current Texas EV charger proposal is every 50 miles and an added focus on rural roads but that is a multi years effort.
Once we get bigger and/or more efficient battery packs this is the life of EV truck drivers towing something large.

·
Banned
473 Posts
It’s pretty clear that towing a large trailer with any EV is not practical, yet. EV’s just don’t have the range. When I ordered my R1T (which I received yesterday) I had visions of towing my Airstream all over the West, but after reviewing the degradation in range that was being reported by various sources and other owners, I realized it wasn’t feasible. Short haul trips with my R1T will be fun but I’ll have to revert to my Ram for the longer trips.
A 90,000 plus soccer team truck.

it’s Max Pack or nothing.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
It’s pretty clear that towing a large trailer with any EV is not practical, yet
For long hauls maybe but for 100 mile one way hauls, they can make it, PDX to coast in this case towing 5k out of 7.5k for R1S.

Also for trailer boaters, typically they are only going 20 miles to a launch ramp for the day so it works there also.

I plan to do "Salmon tours" of Pacific NW with the R1S and will figure 300 mile days with three charging stops. Eight hour days.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To match my F150's efficiency (at 65mph) I would need a 280kWh battery pack
You could add 25kWh (200#) portable battery packs for the long trips. Real key is going to be the trailers with 100kWh battery packs and aux motors extending the range of the EV and provides a backup power source for the vehicle.

Hauling around the bigger batteries all the time would lower the day to day efficiency.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Well, there are a couple companies working on retrofit axles and batteries for putting under your trailer, much like the prototype Airstream- but I wouldn't expect anything for a couple years that way.
considering it’s tough to find a new AS for less then the price of an R1T, when they add batteries/motors are likely going to be double the cost of an EV truck.

·
Registered
107 Posts
You could add 25kWh (200#) portable battery packs for the long trips. Real key is going to be the trailers with 100kWh battery packs and aux motors extending the range of the EV and provides a backup power source for the vehicle.

Hauling around the bigger batteries all the time would lower the day to day efficiency.
Believe that what is really needed is for the RV industry to change the way they design and focus on aerodynamics. As Out of Spec reviews showed, wind resistance/drag affects efficiency much, much more than weight. Thus, Innovation is needed to get RVs lower and sleeker. One Canadian company is on that path and I am seriously considering importing one of it only had captains chairs…. 😂.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Believe that what is really needed is for the RV industry to change the way they design and focus on aerodynamics. As Out of Spec reviews showed, wind resistance/drag affects efficiency much, much more than weight. Thus, Innovation is needed to get RVs lower and sleeker. One Canadian company is on that path and I am seriously considering importing one of it only had captains chairs…. 😂.

I can tell you I’ve owned three travel trailers. A 25 foot airstream, a 14 foot teardrop off-roader, and my current 22 foot outdoor RV which is a traditional box trailer with a slide out. I’m in Alaska and we almost live out of our camper June through September. Box campers have so much more living space and storage. If you spend any amount of time inside them the airstream or teardrops aren’t even close to the level of storage space and comfort. I’ve got a buddy with a 32 foot airstream it has close to the storage but feels more cramped than my 22 foot ORV. The teardrop was pretty cool for its use but really only slightly more functional than a tent

I guess what I’m getting at is getting more aerodynamic comes at a huge cost to functionality.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts