Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received my truck yesterday. Unfortunately I’ve only put in about 20 miles as I have been too busy. I did receive my wall charger 4 days before delivery so I had it installed before the truck arrived. Word of caution, you will need a very strong wifi signal by the charger to pair. I purchased a wifi extender and even then it struggles to stay connect even though there are 3/4 bars of signal. Spare tire and cross bars to come later.

Initial reaction:

Insane performance
No noticeable roll on corners
Quiet (except for loud fans when stopped)
Comfortable
High quality materials
Feels solid
Infotainment is responsive
Pairing to garage opener took seconds
Build quality seems good so far

Couple of little negative things:

Headliner had barcode sticker on the roof side above the rear headrest. A corner was hanging out of it and as much as I tried pulling, it wouldn’t come out. Had to tuck it up. When opening the doors there seems to be noticeable blue glue dripage by door sills. Rear passenger headrest was stuck and unable to move up or down.

Overall experience so far is fantastic. Got it tinted today including roof and windshield. I put my order in at the end of September 2021. Did some changes in late May as suggested by Rivian (changed from OC interior to black and silver exterior to limestone). I do live close to the service center in Orlando, FL and guessing those factors helped.

Attachments

· Registered
613 Posts
Congrats on bringing your baby home! One question, we need wifi for the charger??? In my idiot mind, I was just thinking we needed electrical power to "feed" the truck. I can almost guarantee my wifi signal from my house does not penetrate far enough into my garage with enough strength. Hell, I can barely get signal down in my basement.

· Registered
1,631 Posts
Congrats on bringing your baby home! One question, we need wifi for the charger??? In my idiot mind, I was just thinking we needed electrical power to "feed" the truck. I can almost guarantee my wifi signal from my house does not penetrate far enough into my garage with enough strength. Hell, I can barely get signal down in my basement.
The portable EVSE that comes with the truck does not require WiFi (it doesn't even support it).

The Rivian Wall EVSE (purchased separately) does require WiFi.

If you don't have WiFi in your garage, and don't want to add it, then I wouldn't get the Rivian Wall EVSE. You can use the portable EVSE, or another brand of hardwired EVSE that doesn't have "smart" features.

· Registered
613 Posts
Ahhh crap, I wish I knew that sooner. I am getting my truck on Saturday and I imagine the wall charger shortly thereafter. I wonder if a wifi extender that you plug into the wall would help boost the signal to the garage.

· Registered
131 Posts
I'm not an expert in this area so take this with a grain of salt. Can you run a cat6 cable from the main router to the garage and connect a secondary (sub) router to boost the signal? I'm sure a "how to" is available on-line.

· Registered
2019 Zero SR/F and 2018, BMW i3
325 Posts
Ahhh crap, I wish I knew that sooner. I am getting my truck on Saturday and I imagine the wall charger shortly thereafter. I wonder if a wifi extender that you plug into the wall would help boost the signal to the garage.
Get a WiFi mesh system. Not an extender. I use Google but there are cheaper options. See below

· Registered
1,631 Posts
I'm not an expert in this area so take this with a grain of salt. Can you run a cat6 cable from the main router to the garage and connect a secondary (sub) router to boost the signal? I'm sure a "how to" is available on-line.
I would generally recommend against running copper network cable between structures. You can get some nasty differences in potential voltage which may damage equipment or harm you. When running between structures you want to go wireless, or use a non-conductive medium such as fiber optic. Pre-terminated fiber is relatively inexpensive as are transceivers to convert back to RJ-45 ethernet on either end. Alternatively, you can use a switch with a fiber transceiver built in (or SFP port).

If the garage is within a couple hundred feet of the house, however, a WiFi mesh is probably easier.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am using a wifi extender, but unless I am in a sweet spot in the garage it will not pair. I believe you have to pair it at least once, but it does not have to be connected to Wi-Fi to charge. The Wi-Fi is so you can see the charging metrics from your phone. Most of the time my phone will show that the Wi-Fi is not connected, but I was able to pair it once so it connected to the system. One update unrelated to the wall charger. My truck did not have blue glue around the sill. It was just little remaining pieces of the blue plastic that must have covered the carpet and seats.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts