Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,631 Posts
Congrats on bringing your baby home! One question, we need wifi for the charger??? In my idiot mind, I was just thinking we needed electrical power to "feed" the truck. I can almost guarantee my wifi signal from my house does not penetrate far enough into my garage with enough strength. Hell, I can barely get signal down in my basement.
The portable EVSE that comes with the truck does not require WiFi (it doesn't even support it).

The Rivian Wall EVSE (purchased separately) does require WiFi.

If you don't have WiFi in your garage, and don't want to add it, then I wouldn't get the Rivian Wall EVSE. You can use the portable EVSE, or another brand of hardwired EVSE that doesn't have "smart" features.

· Registered
1,631 Posts
I'm not an expert in this area so take this with a grain of salt. Can you run a cat6 cable from the main router to the garage and connect a secondary (sub) router to boost the signal? I'm sure a "how to" is available on-line.
I would generally recommend against running copper network cable between structures. You can get some nasty differences in potential voltage which may damage equipment or harm you. When running between structures you want to go wireless, or use a non-conductive medium such as fiber optic. Pre-terminated fiber is relatively inexpensive as are transceivers to convert back to RJ-45 ethernet on either end. Alternatively, you can use a switch with a fiber transceiver built in (or SFP port).

If the garage is within a couple hundred feet of the house, however, a WiFi mesh is probably easier.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts