Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, we put down a deposit for an R1S that should be delivered sometime in 2022. We've never owned an EV and are wondering what were the biggest adjustments those of you who have owned an EV had to make. We will still have two ICE vehicles. Besides potentially charging it every night (although I now read that you don't want to fully charge it), what other adjustments did y'all have to make. Plus, did your insurance rates go up? Also, our biggest reason for choosing the R1S is because we wanted a 3-row SUV. So, that brings up the next question as to why we chose the R1S over the Model X? We like the shape better and it is less expensive. Assuming we get the option for the 180 kw battery and it is a $10k premium, we are still looking around $90k, which is the starting price of the Model X. I'm wondering why y'all made the decision if you were also considering a Model X. Frankly, we are still thinking about it as Tesla is more established and our little ones would get a kick out of the falcon doors. But, patience is a virtue.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
466 Posts
So, we put down a deposit for an R1S that should be delivered sometime in 2022. We've never owned an EV and are wondering what were the biggest adjustments those of you who have owned an EV had to make. We will still have two ICE vehicles. Besides potentially charging it every night (although I now read that you don't want to fully charge it), what other adjustments did y'all have to make. Plus, did your insurance rates go up? Also, our biggest reason for choosing the R1S is because we wanted a 3-row SUV. So, that brings up the next question as to why we chose the R1S over the Model X? We like the shape better and it is less expensive. Assuming we get the option for the 180 kw battery and it is a $10k premium, we are still looking around $90k, which is the starting price of the Model X. I'm wondering why y'all made the decision if you were also considering a Model X. Frankly, we are still thinking about it as Tesla is more established and our little ones would get a kick out of the falcon doors. But, patience is a virtue.
Biggest adjustment for me was having to do a bit more planning before longer trips. EVTripPlanner was a huge help in that regard. We now also have ABetterRoutePlanner. You can’t just get in your car and start driving and then stop at any exit to refuel. I’m a bit on the anal side, so the planning part was actually part of the experience for me. Others may see it as an annoyance. I bought in 2015 in NC and the charging infrastructure was not nearly what it is today, so it sometimes required some creative route planning in the early days as well.

Over time you’ll learn to convert “rated miles” to actual miles since they are often not the same based on your driving conditions.

There were chargers at my work, plus I put one in my garage (that I hardly ever used), so local stuff was never a problem.

As for insurance, mine was surprisingly lower at first given that I traded in a $60k Audi that was depreciated down to a $30k trade for a $100k+ Tesla. But they creeped up over time once the insurance companies figured out that the safety benefits of Tesla were outweighed by the exorbitant repair costs. It’ll be interesting to see what rates for Rivian are.

I wanted AWD, so my original plan was to wait for initial Model X. But they they announced AWD Model S, so I jumped on that immediately. I never really liked the aesthetics of the X vs. S. But due to location and lifestyle change, I now need an offroad capable vehicle. So I begrudgingly now have both the Model S and a 4Runner after swearing I’d never own another ICE. But there simply wasn’t anything on the market to fill that need. Model X is not an offroad capable vehicle, IMO. Now there is! I went with Rivian because the styling is good, it seems like a very capable truck, and the company viability is there. I’d prefer something a little more “offroad” looking, but the other options that are (Bollinger or Hummer EV) are far more expensive and will ship later. I reserved a CyberTruck, but never could get past the looks of it. So I’m all in on Rivian.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Trip planning is definitely going to be a big one like @Wildabeest said. Long trips are going to take a bit longer compared to whatever you're used to in your ICE vehicles.

It's true that you shouldn't charge up to 100% because that's not good for the battery but that doesn't mean you can't charge it every night if you need to. We should be able to set limits for charging at home like 80% for example.

·
Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
147 Posts
I haven't owned an EV as of yet but this was from Rivian chat:

Was curious about charging levels. Is it recommended to charge the battery to 100% when possible or don't do that because it is bad for the battery?
Great question- go for 100! Our battery wouldn't be damaged by letting it fully charge or discharge. We have an onboard battery management system to constantly monitor battery performance and battery life

·
Registered
26 Posts
We've driven EVs in our household since 2016. 3 different models. For us, the shape of the Model X providing an impractical cargo area was the initial issue for us. It then goes to classy design versus techno. Prefer classy. Rivian has higher towing. Charging network doesn't bother me. Our cars so far have mostly been low range commuters and, over 130,000 miles combined in them, have suited us just fine.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Unless Rivian says don't charge it to 100% then feel free to do so, especially doing so at home when not on a DCFC - they've spent a literal fortune designing their Battery Management System, from battery chemistry selection to charging heat management, and know better than any armchair electrical engineers about the battery's limitations, and there's a reason Rivian is giving the world's best battery warranty.

The biggest thing I found to get used to with an EV is a sudden discovery of how much gasoline stinks - literally. I still drive a 2 seat sports car (when my daughter lets me have it back from her "borrow") and of course I have to get gas in it. My wife comments every time after I get home from doing that about the smell of gas simply from the refueling process. I don't mind my daughter basically keeping the convertible because our i3s is simply enjoyable to drive, is quiet, comfortable, accelerates better than the Z4M, and simply smells clean inside (I do miss the sound of the six throttle bodies, a little). Longer trip planning does take a little more time, but it's not a big deal after a couple of excursions.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
@GSam have you seen what Rivians charging network is like via the map they sent out along with other networks we can connect to?
That can go a long way with trip planning and to make Rivian's range seem not so bad after all compared to Tesla's.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought my first EV, a Tesla Y, this past December while waiting for my R1S. But I plan on selling my Y as soon as the R1S is available. My summary is:
  • EV is a better vehicle to drive hands down. It is quicker, tighter, and the lack of a transmission as we know it in an ICE is so much better. One foot driving while using regenerative braking is, IMO, better and safer.
  • My insurance is the same for a new Tesla as for my used X5 (USAA). I suspect that's because it has the Sentry Mode and all the cameras and safety features.
  • I do not like the electronics/head end on the Tesla and am looking forward to a more traditional car look and feel and the Alexa integration with the R1S. I have a whole list of things where the Tesla falls short - I mostly want to see in the R1S truly hands-free integration with my cell phone.
  • I perceive the R1S to have a much more stylish and comfortable cabin than the Tesla. I don't know about the X but the Y is very spartan and seems cheap/not stylish.
  • The storage area in my Y is quite roomy and sufficient but it'll be the same or bigger in the R1S and I much prefer the traditional SUV look of the R1S.

Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts