Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

First flat, Jack system is not good!

9K views 32 replies 16 participants last post by  onthebrake 
#1 ·
This week I had my first flat tire. I followed all the directions as they were given. There were no tragedies, but the system is wobbly, unstable, and completely inadequate on anything not 100% flat. The Jack moves as you raise it, I had to continue to knock it straight as I raised the vehicle. I am really surprised that at this price point the system is so poorly designed. I have owned two Ford F350s and that jack system is much more effective than this one. Changes need to be made. Please be very careful changing out tires.
Light Automotive tire Gas Auto part Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Bumper

Tire Wheel Vehicle Bicycle tire Automotive tire

See less See more
#15 ·
#18 ·
You're usually only lifting one wheel. One wheel is not more than 6,000 lbs. See the Pro Eagle FAQ below (an F250 is about the same weight as an R1T, depending on cab/bed configuration):
We recommend the 3 ton jack for vehicles like an F250 or larger.
Anything under that can be handled by our 2 ton jacks. Keep in mind that your Tacoma may weigh 4000 lbs but that is the weight of the entire vehicle. When using a floor jack you are never lifting the entire vehicle at once.
If you want to take that risk, go for it. I don't. I can't guarantee what the weight distribution is or how things will shift. There are affordable 4 ton jacks on the market, and that gives me a better margin of safety.

Reactions: rnurse
#10 ·
I tested my R1T up to 125psi and it worked like a champ. I believe it goes even higher (something like 140-150psi).

The SCFM is low, so you're not going to run air tools off of it.... But it can build pressure equivalent to a typical compressor.

#25 ·
I have the HF 3-ton jack that I’ve used on other vehicles including my Tundra with good luck. Haven’t had to use it on the R1T yet. Anecdotally, HF had to stop selling these for a time while they cleared allegations from Snap-On that it was too close of a copy, FWIW.

#28 · (Edited)
The Rivian air inflator will NOT supply constant air to an " air" jack. the Rivian inflator is NOT a compressor. I tried using an air/hydraulic bottle jack and the inflator does not work ( this is evidence based empirical fact)! For the Rivian, I use a 20 ton air assisted hydraulic bottle jack when changing its tires in my home garage and I carry a 3 ton bottle jack with me with stackable shims for emergencies. They both are tried and empirically proven to work on my Rivian. I made my own rubber pucks for single point lift. Caution, the Rivian, even when put in tire change mode, when changing one corner, will become a little unstable because the axle still wants to camber and caster slightly to cause the frame to move about 1 inch outboard and traversal. That is probably why the scissors jack is racking. Even the 20 ton hydraulic jack with a large base and a level surface will rack a little. I only offer empirical evidence based on actual trials, not conjecture. On the other hand, IMHO, the pucks offered by Team 1EV are dangerous to use on a four point lift because they can easily slip off the lift's four point corners should the truck shift for any reason, they should to be okay for a single point lift. Rivian will probably offer their well designed pucks that they use at their service centers, to the public and tire shops. The Rivian pucks fit over the outside of a two post-four point lift pads to keep the puck from slipping off the pads (I have one two post lift in my own garage and two four post lifts). A choice is to machine your own pads, similar to Rivian's, so that the Rivian can be safely hoisted to enable all four tires be changed with one lift, instead of four separate hoists and also be used on the roadside. Safe jacking.

#30 ·
The Rivian air inflator will NOT supply constant air to an " air" jack. the Rivian inflator is NOT a compressor. I tried using an air/hydraulic bottle jack and the inflator does not work ( this is evidence based empirical fact)! For the Rivian, I use a 20 ton air assisted hydraulic bottle jack when changing its tires in my home garage and I carry a 3 ton bottle jack with me with stackable shims for emergencies. They both are tried and empirically proven to work on my Rivian. I made my own rubber pucks for single point lift.

Thanks for taking the time to post this, very helpful. Would you mind touching a little more on the stackable shim setup you are using for the 3 ton bottle jack? Pictures would be great.

#33 ·
My R1T was in for service a couple months ago and Rivian gave me a R1T as a loaner. Sure enough, I got a flat tire on the loaner. They were at my house within an hour replacing the tire. They had a pretty cool Jack with stabilizers and tire changing / balancing machine inside of their service van.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.