Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took delivery this past weekend of my R1T, Midnight, Black interior, 22" bright wheels. I ended up selling my 2020 Tesla Model Y to Carvana at the same time and so here are just some quick things to point out since I assume many people may be looking to make a similar jump.
  • Build quality on the R1T is 1,000x better then it was on my Model Y. It's not even close in comparison.
    • The panel gaps all seem within spec. Model Y had several panel issues that couldn't be fixed because they would make others worse.
    • The paint quality is excellent. Model Y had alot of orange peal in the paint.
    • Materials used are higher quality. This shouldn't surprise anyone.
  • Ride Quality
    • Given the R1T has multiple different ride options to choose from, you can find the type of ride you want and enjoy it if it's stiff or soft. The truck can handle pothole and bumpy roads. Model Y was always stiff, in my opinion.
    • R1T is significantly quieter when on the highway.
  • Things I miss about the Tesla? (Mostly software items that could be addressed with updates later)
    • I have not gone on a 500+ mile roadtrip yet, but I already know I'm going to dread not being able to use the Tesla Superchargers to charge up. Other fast charging options aren't nearly as reliable and that will give me anxiety. Fortunately, I can charge at home, and the rumor is Tesla will open up super chargers to non Tesla's sometime in the near-ish future.
    • No option for the windows to roll up automatically when the car is locked. Great for people who roll them down for pets as you drive or just enjoy them down in general. I've left my windows on the R1T down overnight on accident because of the habit from my Tesla
    • The Rivian app has some key missing features and in general, not user friendly compared to Tesla's
      • Rivian's app won't alert you to a door being open or a window being down if you're away from the truck.
      • No way to share a destination with the truck (that I'm aware of).
      • Visually, alot of dead space on the screen where they could improve appearance and flow
    • When stopped at a light or in traffic, I miss that my Tesla would chime when the light went green or the car ahead of me moved forward. It was so minor and I know Tesla pushed that as an update in recent years, but it really was awesome. This may take alot more time for Rivian to add given you have to code it to read traffic lights.
    • I read where others wished there was a "kneel" mode for the R1T for getting in and out. Up till I took delivery, I thought that was an overreaction to the ride height, but after having it for a few days, I would agree that having the truck "kneel" as you get in to allow easier entry would be extremely handy given it's still a little harder to climb in then the tesla was even at the lowest height and I'm 5'11"
  • Things I DON'T miss about Tesla?
    • FULL SELF DRIVING. I had it on my Model Y and it was nice for roadtrips, but not worth the cost, especially at today's pricing. The R1T driver assist is plenty for those roadtrips. yes, it would be nice if it changed lanes automatically and I assume that'll come in the next couple years, but I had no need for FSD to drive me around a city and when I used FSD Beta, it actually cause more issues then if I just drove it myself.
    • Estimated mileage was ALWAYS overstated for Tesla. I rarely, if ever, actually got close to 300 miles in range in my Model Y and I just accepted that and moved on. With the R1T, the mileage I see has actually been pretty spot on which has me cautiously optimistic...at least till the winter when things may not be great without a heat pump.
    • The lack of blind spot warning in the mirrors was a simple let down from my Tesla. Not sure why they chose to leave that off and relay simply on loud beeps to bring your attention to the center screen to see that someone is in your blindspot. Seems counterintuitive for someone trying to get to the left, to have to turn their head right. Fortunately, Rivian has the blind spot warning in the mirrors.
    • Paint quality was so bad on the Tesla. Small scratches would appear from the simplest of things because the paint was so thin.
    • Personally, I found the seat in the Tesla to be overly soft and breathable so I'm thrilled to now have ventilated ones in the R1T. I know alot of people love their Tesla seats, but they weren't for me.
  • Notable design flaws on the R1T - not necessarily comparing to the Tesla
    • Wireless charging is basically useless unless you're sitting still. The phone slides all over the little rubber mat in the R1T. In my Tesla, my phone (iphone 12 max) was too big to charge on that wireless charger altogether so the Rivian is a little better here.
    • As others have mentioned, there is no tailgate handle to grab onto when putting the tailgate up. The tailgate is automatic in going down, but you have to manually push it up. Without the handle, there really is no good play to place your hand to do this and I suspect many may scratch the paint around that area.
    • I personally love the proximity sensors to tell when you're getting close to the truck to unlock it, but I would still like an audible noise (such as the chirp) to let me know it sense me. Just another way to know if I've set them off, intentionally or unintentionally.
    • I don't love the vents in the truck. I find them to be in an odd place and on a hot day when you just want cold air blowing on you, it's difficult to get that to happen given the middle vents are so low. It would have been nicer if it was coming out in the middle of the dash, similar to the tesla.
So that's it for now. I'm sure there are plenty of other things, but figured I would share my two cents. Feel free to ask any questions on this thread and I'll try to answer them when I have time.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks for this write up. My truck is en route to a near by SC. Will be trading in my 2022 M3LR for this. Was having some doubts/anxiety this morning about trading in the M3 (not sure why).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for this write up. My truck is en route to a near by SC. Will be trading in my 2022 M3LR for this. Was having some doubts/anxiety this morning about trading in the M3 (not sure why).
@DrBebo you’ll have no regrets once you drive it for a few days. Since you’re a current EV owner, you’ll have no reason to have anxiety.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks. Im still new to the EV world and being in Texas, the charging infrastructure isn't great outside of the Tesla network. That said I did my 1st short road trip a week ago and used the SC network. I only know of one 1 EA station in my area and another about 100 miles away.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks. Im still new to the EV world and being in Texas, the charging infrastructure isn't great outside of the Tesla network. That said I did my 1st short road trip a week ago and used the SC network. I only know of one 1 EA station in my area and another about 100 miles away.
I"m near Austin; I wanted to travel to the Panhandle this coming weekend, a roughly 8 hour drive - and there's really no easy way to do it with the existing charging network. I ran the route thru both the Rivan nav app and Plug-share...and there are simply no fast chargers showing up anywhere remotely close to the Panhandle. This is going to be a major issue until it's addressed since going from Central Texas to Colorado is going to be problematic; going thru DFW and then heading west is over 150 miles more. So...this weekend's trip is not happening. :(

·
Registered
73 Posts
I"m near Austin; I wanted to travel to the Panhandle this coming weekend, a roughly 8 hour drive - and there's really no easy way to do it with the existing charging network. I ran the route thru both the Rivan nav app and Plug-share...and there are simply no fast chargers showing up anywhere remotely close to the Panhandle. This is going to be a major issue until it's addressed since going from Central Texas to Colorado is going to be problematic; going thru DFW and then heading west is over 150 miles more. So...this weekend's trip is not happening. :(
I'll be doing a trip from SA to Waco next week. Several Tesla charges I can use in Austin. I see 1 EA station in Round Rock (no experience with EA or that location). Next EA station is in Waco (won't be going that far... Stop is closer to Temple than Waco. I had to stop twice and charge my M3LR last time.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'll be doing a trip from SA to Waco next week. Several Tesla charges I can use in Austin. I see 1 EA station in Round Rock (no experience with EA or that location). Next EA station is in Waco (won't be going that far... Stop is closer to Temple than Waco. I had to stop twice and charge my M3LR last time.
I was at the Outlet Mall in San Marcos last week; they now have over 10 additional chargers, at least 3 of which were fast chargers. These were on the Volta network - and the L2 chargers were free for 2 hours while the L3 chargers were 3 for 30 minutes. There was no indication what Volta charges if you want to charge longer. It's possible that those same chargers were also added to the Round Rock Outlet Mall. The Volta chargers don't show up on any charger map that I've seen but both Outlets also have other network's chargers (I think it was EA in San Marcos). Anyway, even if they are in RR, that's really not gonna help with the Panhandle dearth. But maybe you can use them for the Waco trip...

·
Banned
18 Posts
When stopped at a light or in traffic, I miss that my Tesla would chime when the light went green or the car ahead of me moved forward. It was so minor and I know Tesla pushed that as an update in recent years, but it really was awesome. This may take alot more time for Rivian to add given you have to code it to read traffic lights.
Isn't this a brand new feature in the Model Y. Or were you on the FSD beta?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Took delivery this past weekend of my R1T, Midnight, Black interior, 22" bright wheels. I ended up selling my 2020 Tesla Model Y to Carvana at the same time and so here are just some quick things to point out since I assume many people may be looking to make a similar jump.
  • Build quality on the R1T is 1,000x better then it was on my Model Y. It's not even close in comparison.
    • The panel gaps all seem within spec. Model Y had several panel issues that couldn't be fixed because they would make others worse.
    • The paint quality is excellent. Model Y had alot of orange peal in the paint.
    • Materials used are higher quality. This shouldn't surprise anyone.
  • Ride Quality
    • Given the R1T has multiple different ride options to choose from, you can find the type of ride you want and enjoy it if it's stiff or soft. The truck can handle pothole and bumpy roads. Model Y was always stiff, in my opinion.
    • R1T is significantly quieter when on the highway.
  • Things I miss about the Tesla? (Mostly software items that could be addressed with updates later)
    • I have not gone on a 500+ mile roadtrip yet, but I already know I'm going to dread not being able to use the Tesla Superchargers to charge up. Other fast charging options aren't nearly as reliable and that will give me anxiety. Fortunately, I can charge at home, and the rumor is Tesla will open up super chargers to non Tesla's sometime in the near-ish future.
    • No option for the windows to roll up automatically when the car is locked. Great for people who roll them down for pets as you drive or just enjoy them down in general. I've left my windows on the R1T down overnight on accident because of the habit from my Tesla
    • The Rivian app has some key missing features and in general, not user friendly compared to Tesla's
      • Rivian's app won't alert you to a door being open or a window being down if you're away from the truck.
      • No way to share a destination with the truck (that I'm aware of).
      • Visually, alot of dead space on the screen where they could improve appearance and flow
    • When stopped at a light or in traffic, I miss that my Tesla would chime when the light went green or the car ahead of me moved forward. It was so minor and I know Tesla pushed that as an update in recent years, but it really was awesome. This may take alot more time for Rivian to add given you have to code it to read traffic lights.
    • I read where others wished there was a "kneel" mode for the R1T for getting in and out. Up till I took delivery, I thought that was an overreaction to the ride height, but after having it for a few days, I would agree that having the truck "kneel" as you get in to allow easier entry would be extremely handy given it's still a little harder to climb in then the tesla was even at the lowest height and I'm 5'11"
  • Things I DON'T miss about Tesla?
    • FULL SELF DRIVING. I had it on my Model Y and it was nice for roadtrips, but not worth the cost, especially at today's pricing. The R1T driver assist is plenty for those roadtrips. yes, it would be nice if it changed lanes automatically and I assume that'll come in the next couple years, but I had no need for FSD to drive me around a city and when I used FSD Beta, it actually cause more issues then if I just drove it myself.
    • Estimated mileage was ALWAYS overstated for Tesla. I rarely, if ever, actually got close to 300 miles in range in my Model Y and I just accepted that and moved on. With the R1T, the mileage I see has actually been pretty spot on which has me cautiously optimistic...at least till the winter when things may not be great without a heat pump.
    • The lack of blind spot warning in the mirrors was a simple let down from my Tesla. Not sure why they chose to leave that off and relay simply on loud beeps to bring your attention to the center screen to see that someone is in your blindspot. Seems counterintuitive for someone trying to get to the left, to have to turn their head right. Fortunately, Rivian has the blind spot warning in the mirrors.
    • Paint quality was so bad on the Tesla. Small scratches would appear from the simplest of things because the paint was so thin.
    • Personally, I found the seat in the Tesla to be overly soft and breathable so I'm thrilled to now have ventilated ones in the R1T. I know alot of people love their Tesla seats, but they weren't for me.
  • Notable design flaws on the R1T - not necessarily comparing to the Tesla
    • Wireless charging is basically useless unless you're sitting still. The phone slides all over the little rubber mat in the R1T. In my Tesla, my phone (iphone 12 max) was too big to charge on that wireless charger altogether so the Rivian is a little better here.
    • As others have mentioned, there is no tailgate handle to grab onto when putting the tailgate up. The tailgate is automatic in going down, but you have to manually push it up. Without the handle, there really is no good play to place your hand to do this and I suspect many may scratch the paint around that area.
    • I personally love the proximity sensors to tell when you're getting close to the truck to unlock it, but I would still like an audible noise (such as the chirp) to let me know it sense me. Just another way to know if I've set them off, intentionally or unintentionally.
    • I don't love the vents in the truck. I find them to be in an odd place and on a hot day when you just want cold air blowing on you, it's difficult to get that to happen given the middle vents are so low. It would have been nicer if it was coming out in the middle of the dash, similar to the tesla.
So that's it for now. I'm sure there are plenty of other things, but figured I would share my two cents. Feel free to ask any questions on this thread and I'll try to answer them when I have time. View attachment 6974
Would love to hear about what you think about the audio quality compared to the Model Y? I would agree on almost everything you've commented on the MY in regards to stiff ride, horrible range accuracy, paint/build quality, etc. But I will say the sound in the MY is pretty darn good and really hoping when I finally get my Rivian (which is apparently no time soon since R1Ss are not coming) that the sound is just as good or better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
DrBebo are you located in SA? If so, would love to check out your Rivian if you'd be open to it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Would love to hear about what you think about the audio quality compared to the Model Y? I would agree on almost everything you've commented on the MY in regards to stiff ride, horrible range accuracy, paint/build quality, etc. But I will say the sound in the MY is pretty darn good and really hoping when I finally get my Rivian (which is apparently no time soon since R1Ss are not coming) that the sound is just as good or better.
I've had a Model S and three Model 3's now (Mid Range, Performance Stealth, Long Range AWD). The LR is my latest - 2022. The sound system is ok in Tesla's in my opinion. I was never really that impressed with it. But the Rivian sound system definitely sounded much better to me during our mile drive event. I was really impressed how sharp and crisp it sounded, yet with just the right amount of bass (which could have been turned up more if we wanted to).

But I'm no audiophile...so who knows, maybe I was just excited to be in the Rivian and in the clouds...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@Bruni13 similar to post above, I’m no audio guru but the sound is amazing and someone who road with me commented on how amazing it was. As for the Tesla, I thought it was good as well. One thing to note, when my phone was connected to the Tesla no sound woukd play from it because it would always think to push it through the Bluetooth and so it would stay silent even if the ringer was on. No audio would go through it. With the Rivian, even when my phone is connected, unless I have the audio on the ruck turned to Bluetooth, my phone would make notification noises which I actually like. I never used Bluetooth in the Tesla for music. Only for calls. So I’d prefer to have the phone still do notifications with noise.

@sirozha the feature for the chime at a light has been out for almost two years. I think. Maybe a little less then that.

·
Banned
18 Posts
@Bruni13 similar to post above, I’m no audio guru but the sound is amazing and someone who road with me commented on how amazing it was. As for the Tesla, I thought it was good as well. One thing to note, when my phone was connected to the Tesla no sound woukd play from it because it would always think to push it through the Bluetooth and so it would stay silent even if the ringer was on. No audio would go through it. With the Rivian, even when my phone is connected, unless I have the audio on the ruck turned to Bluetooth, my phone would make notification noises which I actually like. I never used Bluetooth in the Tesla for music. Only for calls. So I’d prefer to have the phone still do notifications with noise.

@sirozha the feature for the chime at a light has been out for almost two years. I think. Maybe a little less then that.
Not on my Model Y. I just got an update about two weeks ago that first included that option. I never purchased the FSD.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I don't have the chime at the light option on my tesla. Not sure if related to the new enhanced AP or FSD packages before?

Curious about the audio system, but I'm not a big audiophile. I did notice the difference in the Tesla compared to my old bmw with basic sound package.

·
Registered
Red/Black R1T Adventure, max pack, off-road, 22 Sports.
74 Posts
I'll put my 2 cents worth into this. I don't disagree with the assessment by the OP, but I'm unsure that comparing a Y to this is the best comparison. The Model X is probably a better comparison given it's suite of features are more in line with what Rivian has on hand. I've recently received my 2022 Model X LR and have yet to even see an R1T to compare it with. Fit and finish of the Model X is much better than my 2017 Model S, and a touch better than my wife's 2020 Model Y LR. The difference in comfort between the Model Y and X are substantial when it comes to the ride. The ride quality is terrible on the Y - enough to make my kids car sick if the roads are rough enough. I'm considering an aftermarket suspension tune to alleviate that. On the other hand, the Model X is a much nicer ride but again it does have it compromises, especially on the 6 seater given the middle row can't fold down. There's no roof rack option because of the Falcon Wing doors, and the tow hitch is abysmally weak but can be fixed with an aftermarket option. I now look at the X as a people mover and not as a cargo option. I wonder why Tesla hasn't motorized the frunk.

I'm looking forward to seeing the R1T whenever it reaches Canada. I look at it as a potential workhorse that I won't have to treat like a primadonna. If Tesla does indeed open the Supercharger network, I'll be happy to get the R1T because the other vendors for charging are seriously far behind and won't be able to close in on Tesla's network for a number of years to come. As a Tesla owner, though I won't be happy since part of the cost of the cars I've bought also helped pay for the chargers that others won't have contributed towards but will now be able to exploit.

Things that Rivian hasn't done thus far that I would miss: Entertainment. When sitting either at a charger or waiting for someone, sitting and watching a movie or playing a video game helps to pass the time. I'm also not so sure about having Amazon Alexa as the interface. On the Model X, the glass does a much better job of rejecting heat which from what I understand isn't the case on the R1T. No heat pump means that the R1T is less efficient, although I have to say that the heating with the S was better than the Y and I've not seen how it works on the X yet. Personally, I'll never understand why Tesla gave up on having a true sunroof that opened, and wished it was an option on the R1T to help vent heat (as well as to allow "nature and fresh air in".

Both Rivian and Tesla could up their value by allowing 2-way energy flow, ie. being able to use the pack to power or charge like the Ford Lightning does (although Ford tends to oversell it's features that tend to fall flat in reality).

As a side note, the "chime at the lights" in Tesla's will be rolled out for all Teslas with the 2022.20 release - regardless if FSD is purchased or not.

Reactions: the

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@DrBebo it very well may be an FSD option. Given it has to read traffic cameras, that may only be a feature on EA or FSD. I had FSD.

@trevtremaine you are right that a comparison between an X and R1 would be better. I think many of my comments would remain, though, since they’re aimed more at Tesla vehicles in general. Quality across the lineup is a rollercoaster and software is the same (except on the newest X and S). Your comment about entertainment lacking in the Rivian is actually something I’m personally ok with. I for one hated that Tesla used up valuable space / memory with games and would have loved to have had the option to not install those if I could. I assume Netflix will make an appearance sooner as opposed to later which I’d welcome. I’d prefer developers spend time perfecting the driving and user experience as opposed to building a simulation game. The glass roof I think is very comparable to the Y in how it rejects heat. For those looking to improve that, I’d first recommend tinting the windshield which is a huge source of heat and most people don’t know you can even do a clear, ceramic tint on it and it would drastically reduce heat/UV rays and not effect visibility. Finally, I agree I’m concerned about the lack of a heat pump. The MY was the only other electric vehicle I’ve owned and so that’s all I know in regard to winters and so it’ll be interesting how the Rivian will handle the cold.

·
Registered
Red/Black R1T Adventure, max pack, off-road, 22 Sports.
74 Posts
@DrBebo it very well may be an FSD option. Given it has to read traffic cameras, that may only be a feature on EA or FSD. I had FSD.

@trevtremaine you are right that a comparison between an X and R1 would be better. I think many of my comments would remain, though, since they’re aimed more at Tesla vehicles in general. Quality across the lineup is a rollercoaster and software is the same (except on the newest X and S). Your comment about entertainment lacking in the Rivian is actually something I’m personally ok with. I for one hated that Tesla used up valuable space / memory with games and would have loved to have had the option to not install those if I could. I assume Netflix will make an appearance sooner as opposed to later which I’d welcome. I’d prefer developers spend time perfecting the driving and user experience as opposed to building a simulation game. The glass roof I think is very comparable to the Y in how it rejects heat. For those looking to improve that, I’d first recommend tinting the windshield which is a huge source of heat and most people don’t know you can even do a clear, ceramic tint on it and it would drastically reduce heat/UV rays and not effect visibility. Finally, I agree I’m concerned about the lack of a heat pump. The MY was the only other electric vehicle I’ve owned and so that’s all I know in regard to winters and so it’ll be interesting how the Rivian will handle the cold.
I agree about Tesla quality - it seems to float according to the year of manufacture and even the timeframe - especially during quarter ends.

Yeah, I agree with the idea of allowing for the removal of unnecessary software - that includes games, etc. To each their own so far as how the setup goes but I do think it does fall under "user experience". I agree that Rivian will eventually add in something for entertainment since with the MaxPack option, it could take a long while to get fully charged. Personally, I find that Tesla has seriously improved the interface, made the voice commands quite useful, but I think they've also gone too far in eliminating wiper/turn signal and gear selector stalks. The turn signals, do work better at least for lane changes as it's intuitive enough to keep signalling until the lane change is complete - it's just that the buttons are hit/miss too much. I don't really think that either Apple or Google's interface is a necessity - it needs to be included with the possibility of user removal.

I would think that Rivian did something about the sunroof in terms of heat rejection, although I think Tesla did something with ALL the windows as well on the X as I'm not feeling the heat at all. I did notice the heat, however, with the earlier S to the point that there would be "layering" even with the a/c on - it would be uncomfortably warm from the neck upwards, and okay below. Adding IR rejecting tint had 2 effects: 1) eliminated the inconsistency of the temperature in the cabin, 2) reduced the energy consumed by the a/c (before it would get really loud outside the car, afterward it never even came close to how hard it worked before). An issue for tinting any window (especially the windshield) is the legal avenue - some regions don't allow for ANY tint - note that the lighter tints aren't nearly as effective at heat rejection as the darker ones. Also, there was one major issue with water intrusion into the console during install - if water hit any part of the computers underneath, it would fry it and Tesla wouldn't cover the expense of replacement. I wonder if that would be the same issue for Rivian? Still, I would prefer that Rivian address the problem internally as opposed to having to tint the windows aftermarket.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts