Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally, it would appear that Rivian is doing First Mile drives in Michigan (Plymouth) at they former headquarters.

On these events, do they typically have several vehicles to show you or just one and done kinda thing? I'd like to see the various paint colors and the different accessories. Since the time are pretty much 8-5 M-F, I have to exclude my children and spouse from this event as they are not available.

Wonder if we will get to see an OC interior?

Should I check anything out in greater detail?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Really? Is there SWAG to be had at these "events"?
I don’t know. I never had a first mile experience and never seen a truck in person. I should have my R1T delivered in a couple of weeks. I was looking at eBay this morning for anything Rivian, and saw someone selling an X-LARGE Rivian first mile sweat shirt. So I thought, if I was going to a first mile event, I’d get t-shirt

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
An update from the event would be great @ERivTruck! When are you planning on going? If it's like other first mile events there should be multiple R1Ts available for you to check out.
I am scheduled to go tomorrow at 0830. My time slot is from 0830 - 0915. Not sure I will get a lot of info in just 45 minutes. I am asking Rivian if there will be multiple trucks, options, paint, interiors, wheels, tires, etc so I can compare and contrast. I'd really like to see the camp kitchen and (God forbid) the Ocean Coast interior!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK confirmed with a CS that the vehicles are "fleet" vehicles which means they do not have any accessories on them. There are 2 vehicles (but they may not be both present due to the ability to get personal home visits with the vehicle). There is a white, BM interior, with 21" wheels / tires and a Launch Green, BM interior, and 20" wheels / tires. Forecast for tomorrow morning in 60-70% chance of rain storms. Guess I'll see how the wipers work.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK all, drove the R1T today. For those that don't know, it truly is an amazing vehicle both inside and out. I got to drive a white with the 21" wheels and street tires. We played with the ride height a lot during the drive. SPORT mode is definitely a kidney buster. Optimal ride height in CONSERVATIVE mode is "LOW". It allows you to feel the crap in the roads, but not beat you up. When you put it on STANDARD ride height, it felt like a 1990's Cadillac floating over the road. Which is nice, but coming out of a Prius, it is a little too damped for my personal taste.

We got to dive the fully automatous mode. That is freaky. Again, not coming from an EV, it is scary to feel the steering wheel turning for you AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS! But impressive nonetheless.

Takeaway #1 - Limestone. Got to see it live and in person. This is my current color selection. but after seeing it in person, SWITCH! I do NOT like it. It has the look of medical scrubs green color. Like a sick looking green. Like how hospitals used to paint their interior walls 20 years ago. HARD PASS. I got to see both El Cap, LA Silver, and White. All three look awesome, but I am leaning towards El Cap.

Takeaway #2 - Driver under seat storage "bin" is felt lined but barely large enough to hold a couple of pencils and your insurance cards.

Takeaway #3 - Door flashlight is solid metal and high quality. Really, really bright too (1000 lumens).

Takeaway #4 - Not 100% sold on the digital touch and drag to direct the HVAC air where you need it to go. So more seat time in a vehicle will be needed for that.

Takeaway #5 - The gear tunnel doors (standing surfaces) actually flip up to reveal more storage on the door. Driver's door, it holds the compressor hoses in a nice bag. Passenger door holds a first aid kit. Really nifty.

And takeaway #6 - there are a lot of "Easter eggs" found throughout the truck showing either the Compass logo or "RIVIAN".

As Roger Ebert used to say...Two thumbs up!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So while at Plymouth, MI (former Corporate HQ), I got to see almost every color of R1T. LA Silver. Glacier White. Midnight. Rivian Blue. Limestone. El Cap Granite and finally Compass Yellow. All had BM interior. I got to see 2 R1S. One had FE interior and I must say, damn it looks really, really good! I am contemplating changing my interior color now. I can see that build quality is getting better. Fit and finishes on the hood, doors, and gear tunnel doors are looking better. I can also confirm that while my son and I were lurking around the parking lot, the Gear Guard sentry would come on the center display with the orange fuzzy yeti thing recording us. Saw a lot more R1Ts with the 21s too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts