Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some clarification on this because I've heard different answers from different people/sources. Can you flat tow a Rivian or EVs in general? Or do they need to be on a trailer?

I've seen articles that say that give a hard no on being able to flat tow EVs because it can do a lot of damage to the electric motors. But I've also heard that as long as you use a tow dolly you can pull a FWD EV. Any help/clarification is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I need some clarification on this because I've heard different answers from different people/sources. Can you flat tow a Rivian or EVs in general? Or do they need to be on a trailer?

I've seen articles that say that give a hard no on being able to flat tow EVs because it can do a lot of damage to the electric motors. But I've also heard that as long as you use a tow dolly you can pull a FWD EV. Any help/clarification is greatly appreciated.
Flatbed/trailer tow is advised to my knowledge for EVs

·
Registered
77 Posts

Yes, it takes a trailer, one with considerable capacity as the R1S will weigh about 6,000 pounds. With the weight of the trailer one quickly reach 9000 pounds gross. So I watched for a clearance sale and have a trailer ready. Get to practice this summer hauling our old Navigator which weighs about the same amount. As the motors are directly connected to wheels, they become generators when not powered, and there will be electrical energy to handle if the vehicle is towed.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, it takes a trailer, one with considerable capacity as the R1S will weigh about 6,000 pounds. With the weight of the trailer one quickly reach 9000 pounds gross. So I watched for a clearance sale and have a trailer ready. Get to practice this summer hauling our old Navigator which weighs about the same amount. As the motors are directly connected to wheels, they become generators when not powered, and there will be electrical energy to handle if the vehicle is towed.
Which trailer did you get @FanFLelectric? Have you tried towing your Navigator yet?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I discussed this with RJ in Denver
He did not give a yes or no but said he wanted to make this happen for RVers
Potentially a drive disconnect
But what we do know is you can tow charge
Another question for them Today

·
Registered
77 Posts
I discussed this with RJ in Denver
He did not give a yes or no but said he wanted to make this happen for RVers
Potentially a drive disconnect
But what we do know is you can tow charge
Another question for them Today
Moving a short distance by flat towing may be possible. Then there will be the difficulty of getting a hitch installed on the front of the Rivian. Since my investment will be substantial to obtain the EV, do not really want to be risking damage to any part of it. And the charging control to protect the battery may be sketchy. Maybe a big company can afford the risks, not I.

When one travels north in the spring and south in the fall, a distance of 1000 miles, it will be best to have the Rivian riding on the trailer and the wheels not turning. And the CAT diesel of the motor home does not mind.

·
Registered
77 Posts
This is from a couple of years ago but Rivian did say on Twitter that the R1S and R1T can be flat towed.

Not planning on doing that. Having four motor/generators turning creates voltage, just as they do when the regenerative braking kicks in. So it will take more than a twitter post to prove flat towing is safe for several hundred mies a day.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Not planning on doing that. Having four motor/generators turning creates voltage, just as they do when the regenerative braking kicks in. So it will take more than a twitter post to prove flat towing is safe for several hundred mies a day.
Rivian’s patent (US20190016231A1 - Electric Vehicle With Modular Removable Auxiliary Battery With Integrated Cooling - Google Patents) references a Panasonic patent for brushless motors (US20140084832A1 - Motor control system, motor control device, and brushless motor - Google Patents).

My understanding is that brushless motors provide many benefits over traditional “brushed” motors. In addition to higher power-to-weight ratios and increased reliability, they also can be “free-wheeled” which is ideal for transportation applications.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Rivian’s patent (US20190016231A1 - Electric Vehicle With Modular Removable Auxiliary Battery With Integrated Cooling - Google Patents) references a Panasonic patent for brushless motors (US20140084832A1 - Motor control system, motor control device, and brushless motor - Google Patents).

My understanding is that brushless motors provide many benefits over traditional “brushed” motors. In addition to higher power-to-weight ratios and increased reliability, they also can be “free-wheeled” which is ideal for transportation applications.
Smart catch
I was told the same in person by RJ himself
I am in the same situation
RJ said that it can be and I said make sure there's a tow bar available when vehicle is delivered like Blue Ox
I explained that when the Cherokee came out it took 7 months to get a tow bar
He seemed to be very interested in that information
Just me being hopeful maby
But it was a good conversation
I mentioned that if my rig could pull charge the Rivian on its way to my Adventure Destination so that when I get there I can go off-roading
"That would be awesome"
Wish I had recorded my conversation
But there's my 2 cents

·
Registered
720 Posts
Smart catch
I was told the same in person by RJ himself
I am in the same situation
RJ said that it can be and I said make sure there's a tow bar available when vehicle is delivered like Blue Ox
I explained that when the Cherokee came out it took 7 months to get a tow bar
He seemed to be very interested in that information
Just me being hopeful maby
But it was a good conversation
I mentioned that if my rig could pull charge the Rivian on its way to my Adventure Destination so that when I get there I can go off-roading
"That would be awesome"
Wish I had recorded my conversation
But there's my 2 cents
That's really cool you got to speak with him @Heyvernsky! When/where did you get to do that? I guess there's going to be a special mode that lets you tow Rivians safely.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I realize this is different in that your asking about physically towing behind a motorhome, but on the Long Way Up series they were able to tow charge the R1T's behind a semi to charge the batteries. It would be cool to flat tow and charge the Truck for free...

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
384 Posts
I realize this is different in that your asking about physically towing behind a motorhome, but on the Long Way Up series they were able to tow charge the R1T's behind a semi to charge the batteries. It would be cool to flat tow and charge the Truck for free...
It wouldn’t be “for free”. The impact on your tow vehicle’s gas mileage will be significant since you are essentially turning a “free wheeling” tow payload into one that has substantial active resistance.

Reactions: StevieD

·
Registered
652 Posts
It wouldn’t be “for free”. The impact on your tow vehicle’s gas mileage will be significant since you are essentially turning a “free wheeling” tow payload into one that has substantial active resistance.
Yep. It’s probably the worst/least-efficient way to charge. Outside of a marketing gimmick, it’s only practical use might be as a last-resort to get a dead rivian to safety if overlanding.

·
Registered
199 Posts
That's really cool you got to speak with him @Heyvernsky! When/where did you get to do that? I guess there's going to be a special mode that lets you tow Rivians safely.
The Denver event

·
Registered
199 Posts
I received a reply from Customer Service saying that there will be "OTHER TOWING OPTIONS" but they cannot say what they are at this time
So mystery?
Maybe a tow dolly?
Maby they have a way to disengage the rear wheels and not the front?
That would be acceptable to me dolly towing is better than flat anyway
And stowing a dolly is no big deal
Not sure what other options they could be referring to
Any ideas?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thing is a Dolly can be tucked under the rig so when at a RV park you don't have to have extra space
Most RV parks are cool with that
I have not dealt with a flatbed trailer but would imagine that the RV parks would charge extra if they even have space

1 - 20 of 34 Posts