Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some clarification on this because I've heard different answers from different people/sources. Can you flat tow a Rivian or EVs in general? Or do they need to be on a trailer?

I've seen articles that say that give a hard no on being able to flat tow EVs because it can do a lot of damage to the electric motors. But I've also heard that as long as you use a tow dolly you can pull a FWD EV. Any help/clarification is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I need some clarification on this because I've heard different answers from different people/sources. Can you flat tow a Rivian or EVs in general? Or do they need to be on a trailer?

I've seen articles that say that give a hard no on being able to flat tow EVs because it can do a lot of damage to the electric motors. But I've also heard that as long as you use a tow dolly you can pull a FWD EV. Any help/clarification is greatly appreciated.
Flatbed/trailer tow is advised to my knowledge for EVs

·
Registered
22 Posts

Yes, it takes a trailer, one with considerable capacity as the R1S will weigh about 6,000 pounds. With the weight of the trailer one quickly reach 9000 pounds gross. So I watched for a clearance sale and have a trailer ready. Get to practice this summer hauling our old Navigator which weighs about the same amount. As the motors are directly connected to wheels, they become generators when not powered, and there will be electrical energy to handle if the vehicle is towed.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, it takes a trailer, one with considerable capacity as the R1S will weigh about 6,000 pounds. With the weight of the trailer one quickly reach 9000 pounds gross. So I watched for a clearance sale and have a trailer ready. Get to practice this summer hauling our old Navigator which weighs about the same amount. As the motors are directly connected to wheels, they become generators when not powered, and there will be electrical energy to handle if the vehicle is towed.
Which trailer did you get @FanFLelectric? Have you tried towing your Navigator yet?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts