Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Newmar King Aire & 2019 RAM Longhorn 1500
12 Posts
This is from a couple of years ago but Rivian did say on Twitter that the R1S and R1T can be flat towed.

Recent Rivian response. Of course, I don’t understand why that can provide manual wheel lockers. After hooking up to the RV, just walk around the Rivian and unlock the wheels from the drive line. Reverse procedure when decoupling from RV. Products are made by warn and other companies to do this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I received a reply from Customer Service saying that there will be "OTHER TOWING OPTIONS" but they cannot say what they are at this time
So mystery?
Maybe a tow dolly?
Maby they have a way to disengage the rear wheels and not the front?
That would be acceptable to me dolly towing is better than flat anyway
And stowing a dolly is no big deal
Not sure what other options they could be referring to
Any ideas?
A tow dolly won’t work as Rivian states that ALL wheels must be lifted. Makes sense since a motor is attached to each wheel. However, there already exists products that will decouple the wheel from the drive train. Even Ford still does this on some of its models but I would prefer a manual locker than the vacuum Ford uses.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Recent Rivian response. Of course, I don’t understand why that can provide manual wheel lockers. After hooking up to the RV, just walk around the Rivian and unlock the wheels from the drive line. Reverse procedure when decoupling from RV. Products are made by warn and other companies to do this.

View attachment 2080
They told me "towing options will be revealed soon"
Sounds like only option is on a flatbed
But we must wait & see

·
Registered
214 Posts
Be cool But maybe they can't program the software to allow for freewheel
Got to remember this is a complex computer that happens to be a Truck

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
466 Posts
Be cool But maybe they can't program the software to allow for freewheel
Got to remember this is a complex computer that happens to be a Truck
I’d say it’s less about the software and more about it being additional hardware in order to completely (physically) disengage the wheel hub from the motor. They likely see it as additional engineering, cost and one more thing that can break. Add to that the fact that it likely would only have benefit to a very small proportion of potential buyers, and it simply didn’t make the feature cut. Most RVs I see flat towing vehicles behind them are pulling smaller cars or Jeep’s - not 6,000# full size trucks.

·
Registered
90 Posts
There is another issue, also. Any towed vehicle of more than a certain weight is required by state laws to have functioning brakes, and the Rivian is way above that legal requirement. Already have a trailer with adequate capacity to put the Rivian on behind my RV. Solves the travel distance issue, as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’d say it’s less about the software and more about it being additional hardware in order to completely (physically) disengage the wheel hub from the motor. They likely see it as additional engineering, cost and one more thing that can break. Add to that the fact that it likely would only have benefit to a very small proportion of potential buyers, and it simply didn’t make the feature cut. Most RVs I see flat towing vehicles behind them are pulling smaller cars or Jeep’s - not 6,000# full size trucks.
I guess that you haven’t met me! There’s more than just a few of us with large TOADs. Pickups, SUVs, Hummers. When one looks at manufacturers like Warn, one can see that the solution is inexpensive and simple. If Rivian doesn’t want provide it’s target customers (adventurers) with the solution, it would be nice to provide a few details so companies like Warn could provide the solution. Without a solution before my turn come due, I’ll have to pass. I’ve RVing for over 40 years and don’t see the need to compensate to connect my TOAD.

·
Registered
12 Posts
There is another issue, also. Any towed vehicle of more than a certain weight is required by state laws to have functioning brakes, and the Rivian is way above that legal requirement. Already have a trailer with adequate capacity to put the Rivian on behind my RV. Solves the travel distance issue, as well.
I use Air Force One “AFO” to connect the air brakes from my RV to my TOAD. It‘s a proportional braking system that presses on the brake pedal for me while supplying vacuum to the booster to reduce the energy required to operate the brake. Further, it has the mandatory break away system.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I guess that you haven’t met me! There’s more than just a few of us with large TOADs. Pickups, SUVs, Hummers. When one looks at manufacturers like Warn, one can see that the solution is inexpensive and simple. If Rivian doesn’t want provide it’s target customers (adventurers) with the solution, it would be nice to provide a few details so companies like Warn could provide the solution. Without a solution before my turn come due, I’ll have to pass. I’ve RVing for over 40 years and don’t see the need to compensate to connect my TOAD.
View attachment 2082
Boom 💥
I've seen with boats on top of the Truck

·
Registered
226 Posts
I use Air Force One “AFO” to connect the air brakes from my RV to my TOAD. It‘s a proportional braking system that presses on the brake pedal for me while supplying vacuum to the booster to reduce the energy required to operate the brake. Further, it has the mandatory break away system.
Just curious, do you know if the F150 Lightening supports flat towing? I did not see anything on the web site about it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
IMHO, the key issue with flat towing a Rivian is that the motors are directly tied to the wheels. I agree that software solutions as well as many hardware solutions can be complete and expensive. However, there is a pretty simple solution that’s existed since WWII Jeeps were used on paved roads. Use wheel lockers (in Rivian’s case) on all four wheels. When the wheel locker is turned one way, the drive line (and motor) are disconnected from the wheel so no force is transferred. Turned the other way and the drive line is locked to the wheel. It‘s a proven concept for well over 75 years And is still in use today.

Personally since I have to be outside the Rivian to attach and detach it from my RV, it would be a simple process to walk around it and set the lockers. I usually walk around for inspection anyways. Further, manual lockers mean less mechanical issues (AKA occasional Ford vacuum leaks on their lockers).

Hardware costs to the end user for a set of four could be around $500 or so But the final price would be dependent on the manufacturer pricing strategy. However, Rivian would need to disclose some really simple non-proprietary information on the driveline choice and certain specifications to allow a manufacturer to make an aftermarket fitment.

Also IMHO, the more we focus on the wheel/driveline relationship, the quicker we will have a solution.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just curious, do you know if the F150 Lightening supports flat towing? I did not see anything on the web site about it.
Couldn’t find out either. While they thought of flat towing throughout their truck product line, they could have missed it. On the other hand since they already use wheel locks on some of their products, they might discover the solution sooner.
file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/eb/11/A6D67C41-1210-462E-B3AC-FFEDD8C61CC4/2020-Ford_RVandTrailerTowingGuide.pdf

·
Registered
214 Posts
IMHO, the key issue with flat towing a Rivian is that the motors are directly tied to the wheels. I agree that software solutions as well as many hardware solutions can be complete and expensive. However, there is a pretty simple solution that’s existed since WWII Jeeps were used on paved roads. Use wheel lockers (in Rivian’s case) on all four wheels. When the wheel locker is turned one way, the drive line (and motor) are disconnected from the wheel so no force is transferred. Turned the other way and the drive line is locked to the wheel. It‘s a proven concept for well over 75 years And is still in use today.

Personally since I have to be outside the Rivian to attach and detach it from my RV, it would be a simple process to walk around it and set the lockers. I usually walk around for inspection anyways. Further, manual lockers mean less mechanical issues (AKA occasional Ford vacuum leaks on their lockers).

Hardware costs to the end user for a set of four could be around $500 or so But the final price would be dependent on the manufacturer pricing strategy. However, Rivian would need to disclose some really simple non-proprietary information on the driveline choice and certain specifications to allow a manufacturer to make an aftermarket fitment.

Also IMHO, the more we focus on the wheel/driveline relationship, the quicker we will have a solution.
I am with you
I'm sure many of us are
In the beginning Rivian wanted the Rivian to be a Toad
R.J. said it to me personally
He also said there are challenges in doing so
I was told recently that I must wait for more information on towing a Rivian
Who knows maybe this will be a possibility
We have to wait
IS IT JUNE YET

·
Registered
12 Posts
Assuming that the flat tow issue is resolved, the next considerations involving connecting it to the RV.
1. Tow attachment - companies and Roadmaster in particular are looking for a Rivian in order to make the base plate. In the case of my RAM 1500, the front tow hooks were replaced with the base plate adapter and involved very minor mods to fit. One base plate adapter also support the breakaway switch while the other supports the electrical connection for the tail lights, etc. Maybe Rivian tow hooks can be replaced with a proper adapter. (Note: the arms shown are easily removable.
2. Brakes - in my case since I have air brakes on my RV, I use Air Force One. There is also systems for hydraulic brakes. In my case, I need to know whether Rivian uses a vacuum booster so I can Tee into the line. Otherwise, more detail is required to realize the best fitment. I have used other solutions in the past.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I"ve already had discussions with Roadmaster to modify my Rivian to add the baseplate. Unfortunately if Rivian does not support flat towing, i will not be pursuing this any further.
As a sidenote: I have a Ford CMAX Energie which is a plugin hybrid electric. It fully supports flat towing and I've been towing it for 5 years behind my motorcoach. The reason this is the ONLY electric/hybrid that can be flat towed is because of the unique architecture where the electric motors disconnect when not actively powering the vehicle.
I've always been curious how they accomplish regenerative breaking, i assume they engage those electric motors.
But to have an EV manufacturer say that no EV can be flat towed is just wrong. Ford did it with the CMAX and I've been towing mine flat as proof that it works.
I sadly wait for a final answer from Rivian, but I fear we've already received it via StevieD's letter from Rivian.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I"ve already had discussions with Roadmaster to modify my Rivian to add the baseplate. Unfortunately if Rivian does not support flat towing, i will not be pursuing this any further.
As a sidenote: I have a Ford CMAX Energie which is a plugin hybrid electric. It fully supports flat towing and I've been towing it for 5 years behind my motorcoach. The reason this is the ONLY electric/hybrid that can be flat towed is because of the unique architecture where the electric motors disconnect when not actively powering the vehicle.
I've always been curious how they accomplish regenerative breaking, i assume they engage those electric motors.
But to have an EV manufacturer say that no EV can be flat towed is just wrong. Ford did it with the CMAX and I've been towing mine flat as proof that it works.
I sadly wait for a final answer from Rivian, but I fear we've already received it via StevieD's letter from Rivian.
Hey @Joe Hoffman!
Which Rivian model did you get and how did you spec it?
Add your vehicle to the New Rivian Order Tracker - Enter Your Configuration Here

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry for the misleading words. I've not received my Rivian yet, I just had the discussions already with Roadmaster in Washington State. They're anxious to have access to their first Rivan to build the baseplate. Of course assuming.... Sigh...

·
Registered
177 Posts
Guys, I am a former Class A RV-er, and I have to ask the question, if you own a several hundred thousand dollar class A diesel pusher and you want to tow an 8000 lb truck, is it not work a few thousand dollar investment into a flat trailer that can hold your Rivian safely and you can put trailer brakes on the trailer and safely tow the vehicle / trailer combo with no issues? Seems like a small price to pay for piece of mind while pulling this combo up a mountain pass.

·
Registered
5 Posts
great question. Unfortunately it doesn’t work out that nicely to use a trailer unless you’re only going from known point A to known point B where both locations are trailer friendly. This works for snowbirders who go to their winter destination but nowhere else.
We are full timers and stay at a variety of places, some of which have no space for a trailer.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Guys, I am a former Class A RV-er, and I have to ask the question, if you own a several hundred thousand dollar class A diesel pusher and you want to tow an 8000 lb truck, is it not work a few thousand dollar investment into a flat trailer that can hold your Rivian safely and you can put trailer brakes on the trailer and safely tow the vehicle / trailer combo with no issues? Seems like a small price to pay for piece of mind while pulling this combo up a mountain pass.
You apparently don't RV
When you get to a RV park or whatever what do you do with the Trailer?
Often there is no place for it the park is packed plus the rental space for the empty Trailer is NOT A SMALL PRICE TO PAY!!!
And another thing you can't get in to a lot of places Towing a Trailer behind a 40+ foot Coach
That is why flat tow is so important
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21 - 40 of 56 Posts