Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
It depends on the RV park, but yes, the ones we stayed in have more than enough room for a diesel pusher, a car, and even space on the sides for things like tents or screened-in rooms. If you go to state parks, yes, there is not enough room to walk around your RV let alone anything else. The BIGGEST problem I have seen with trailers is NOT space for them but rather strict rules for the sites that do not allow them (and other things like gas golf carts). And if you are camping in places that are that tight and you cannot use a 16' trailer, I would wonder if it would be safe to take a $80,000 truck / SUV into those grounds due to spacing concerns.

·
Registered
177 Posts
You apparently don't RV
When you get to a RV park or whatever what do you do with the Trailer?
Often there is no place for it the park is packed plus the rental space for the empty Trailer is NOT A SMALL PRICE TO PAY!!!
And another thing you can't get in to a lot of places Towing a Trailer behind a 40+ foot Coach
That is why flat tow is so important
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Then you will not be (currently) camping with a Rivian. Better stick with a Jeep or other toad that is approved to be 4 wheeled towed. The latest towing update from Motorhome Magazine still shows a lot of vehicles from manufacturers that do not consider 4 wheel flat towing to be a viable or safe option over the long haul for those particular vehicles.

·
Registered
2020 Newmar King Aire & 2019 RAM Longhorn 1500
12 Posts
great question. Unfortunately it doesn’t work out that nicely to use a trailer unless you’re only going from known point A to known point B where both locations are trailer friendly. This works for snowbirders who go to their winter destination but nowhere else.
We are full timers and stay at a variety of places, some of which have no space for a trailer.
Amen to that! We’re also full timers. We left Florida in April, arrived in California by June, and now in Maine until October. After that we’ll see where we are. We also flat tow a Ram 1500. I don’t need the complexity of a adding a trailer into the equation of where to stay. For overnighting, I can simply unhook my Toad at the entrance and use a back-in site if I need or fit in a smaller pull-thru sight.

Not so much with a trailer. Love seeing those $30,000+ stacker trailers on the road; they simply don’t fit my life style.
Adding a trailer is not an option for me for the reasons you stated. Further, if anyone is thinking its solves any weight problem - it simply doesn’t as it adds the trailer weight to tow.

My hope is that Rivian decides to cooperate a bit and release enough of the wheel and driveline specs that would allow someone like Warn to fit wheel lockers to mechanically solve the EV motor issues. I hope that the base plate can be fitted by replacing Rivian’s front tow hooks (like what was done with my Ram). That leaves braking where I’m planning Demco Air Force One.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We’ll, this doesn’t bode well. All this wait and they change their answer. Who to believe? The one that says “yes you can flat to the Rivian behind a motorhome” or the one that says “Like other electric vehicles [you can’t] without a flatbed. It seems the second person doesn’t understand the purpose of flat towing and therefore may not know for sure.

If it can’t be flat towed, a may just cancel my early reservation and keep our model x…. Bummer.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I thought so! You simply cannot disconnect electric motors from the wheels when you are flat towing. Thus, with a EV, you would be essentially "burning" up your motors.

Like IC engine vehicles, some have the ability to "disconnect" the drivelines from the wheels to allow the wheels to spin freely and flat tow. This is what Jeep has done with their Wranglers and why they are popular choices for Toad vehicles.

Here is the other thing to ask yourself, would you really WANT to flat tow a R1T or S behind a MH and make a lot of turns potentially ruining your front tires on the R1? Naw, not worth it to me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here is the other thing to ask yourself, would you really WANT to flat tow a R1T or S behind a MH and make a lot of turns potentially ruining your front tires on the R1? Naw, not worth it to me.
Myself and many others have towed our toads behind our RVs for many years and never 'ruined' the front tires. Why do you claim this would happen to a Rivian?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I thought so! You simply cannot disconnect electric motors from the wheels when you are flat towing. Thus, with a EV, you would be essentially "burning" up your motors.

Like IC engine vehicles, some have the ability to "disconnect" the drivelines from the wheels to allow the wheels to spin freely and flat tow. This is what Jeep has done with their Wranglers and why they are popular choices for Toad vehicles.

I've towed 3 different vehicles with RVs (F-150, Smart Car, and Jeep Wrangler) so yes I absolutely WANT to flat tow my Rivian. That was the only reason I ordered it and confirmed early on. I will still hold a little hope that they figure something out to meet their original official proclamation that it can be flat towed (even if the car has to use a little tiny bit of its own juice to keep the wheels freewheeling in a tow mode).

Also, "towing and turning" shouldn't ruin your front tires. If it is, you need to adjust your towing setup, something is wrong. It IS possible to scrub your front tires in a very tight turn but those situations are infrequent and only cause little additional wear for those few instances. If things get too tight, just unhook, reposition, and reconnect. Easy Peasy. :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Myself and many others have towed our toads behind our RVs for many years and never 'ruined' the front tires. Why do you claim this would happen to a Rivian?
I was thinking that when you turn the motorhome, the front tire on a flat towed vehicle do not turn, therefore, every sharp turn is essentially dragging the front tires through the turn.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was thinking that when you turn the motorhome, the front tire on a flat towed vehicle do not turn, therefore, every sharp turn is essentially dragging the front tires through the turn.
No, they "caster" behind the motorhome. Think of them like shopping cart front wheels, but the caster on a car is less extreme.

·
Registered
12 Posts

I’m currently flat towing a 2019 RAM 1500 as well as previously towed a Toyota Tundra, Scion Xb, Jeep Wrangler, and a few other vehicles during my lifetime of owning about 9 RVs, With respect, never experienced (knock on wood) any issues with tires turning, failing or whatever. It’s just part of the lifestyle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Guys, I am a former Class A RV-er, and I have to ask the question, if you own a several hundred thousand dollar class A diesel pusher and you want to tow an 8000 lb truck, is it not work a few thousand dollar investment into a flat trailer that can hold your Rivian safely and you can put trailer brakes on the trailer and safely tow the vehicle / trailer combo with no issues? Seems like a small price to pay for piece of mind while pulling this combo up a mountain pass.
I’m still driving a 45’ RV with a RAM 1500 toad. Trailers simply don’t work for me because they limit the campsites as well as storage issues. Unless I want to unhook every night, I‘ll need a pull-thru site and it will also need to be long enough to fit the entire configuration. With a TOAD, I simply disconnect to slide into a back-in site that only needs to be deep enough for the RV. Further I guess that I’m just plain lazy because I want the Rivian to make life easier not more difficult for me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
?????????? First thing I check is that the front tires turn. The older wheel locking system always required that the steering wheel remain unlocked when flat towing. In fact, I would have a dummy non-start key to put in when towing. With respect along with making sure all the TOAD tires are turning, ensuring that the front wheels steer is TOAD lesson #101.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts