Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Live in SW Montana and took the R1T on its maiden voyage with a the rod rack mounted and towing the raft.

She crushed the journey but ate about 110mi on a 70mi distance in all purpose mode. Started out in trailer mode but seeing a full battery at 301 drop to 150 was concerning.

Trailer is about 1k and raft a few hundred pounds so didn’t see the benefit for extra support at half the battery potential.

Snagged some fish on the Upper Madison and the shuttle service (Dorothy Shuttle) is always reliable, and got the rig to the takeout without issue.

Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Car

·
Registered
514 Posts
Nice! My guess is that the roof rack was as detrimental to range as the trailer ... two strikes against. But neither is huge so your eventual range was still palatable.

If you had a bigger boat and two bikes on the roof rack you'd really be hurting ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In theory, the range will re-calibrate as you drive. It’d be interesting to see actual range leaving it in toowing mode.
Was hoping/assuming that would be the case but after losing 2 miles distance in trailer mode; after less than a mile I was skeptical.

I’d love to understand more about the mode, and try it out with less consequence in a better charging region.

What was interesting is even in all purpose mode the vehicle “knew” there was a trailer with the electrical connection and modified a few things - turned off sensors, cruise control was not adaptive, required manual brake to disengage cruise, and modified the vehicle icon in the dash to include a trailer element (presumably for surrounding safety features).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Live in SW Montana and took the R1T on its maiden voyage with a the rod rack mounted and towing the raft.
Man oh man, would I like to be back there right now. I'm jealous as hell. 😎 You just confirmed my intentions to use the R1T as our main fly fishing rig.

I live on the Oregon coast, but my wife and I have fly fished the area many, many times. We even did our honeymoon as four day of float/wade trips with the folks at the Stonefly Lodge.

I have been patiently waiting for someone to mount fishing rod cases on the R1T and it looks like you're it! If you don't mind:
  1. What brand of rod rack cases did you purchase?
  2. Will your rod cases handle a 9.5ft or 10.5ft assembled rod?
  3. Did you need special hardware to mount to the Rivian cross bars?
Thanks for posting and say "Hi" to Rooster at the Stonefly Loge in Twin Bridges, and Brad Platt at Anderson & Platt in Dillon if you get the chance. We probably will not make it out there this year, but definitely looking forward to 2023 to drive the R1T from the coast, through Spokane, Coeur d'Alene, Missoula, and Butte, down to Dillon or Twin Bridges. We have fished some great waters, but always come "home" to SW Montana.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Acoustic71

of down here give a shout, perhaps we can get some river time in.

the rod rack is a River Quiver 4 Banger that I’ve had for a few years and very happy. It apparently has an interior length max of 10’ 4”. They have an extended version for longer kits.

I special hardware needed. The mounting brackets are plastic with a two bolt per mount method of clamping down. They’re countered for a “general” crossbar and have worked fine on Thule, Yakima, and now the Rivian bars.

·
Registered
929 Posts
That looks sweet. My brother lives in Bozeman. Here's my spin set-up for Tuna out on Cape Cod. I can drop the butt ends of 8-14 wt flyrods into the holders for local transport with no issues also. Pretty awesome early season topwater action right now on all sides of the cape. The Gear Tunnel is now a Tuna Tunnel.

Plant Sky Motor vehicle Vehicle Slope

Seafood Fin Hood Fish Vehicle

1 - 8 of 8 Posts