Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ELECTRIFYING NEWS: FORD CONFIRMS BRONCO HYBRID

There will be a hybrid version of the Ford Bronco, the rugged SUV that the automaker is bringing back to the market next year. The inclusion of a hybrid was confirmed today by CEO Jim Hackett during Ford's annual shareholder meeting.

It is not a big surprise. Ford's main focus going forward is on trucks, SUVs, and commercial vehicles and the automaker is spending $11 billion to electrify them over the next four years.

The Bronco goes on sale late next year. As details trickle out, we know there will be two- and four-door models and a choice of rear-wheel drive or all-wheel drive for a rugged vehicle that will take on the Jeep Wrangler. The doors and top will be removable and can be cleverly stashed in the cargo hold. There will be a spare tire in the back and giant letters spelling Bronco across the front.

In terms of powertrains, educated guesses include the 2.3-liter turbocharged four-cylinder and perhaps the 2.7-liter EcoBoost V-6 as the top-spec engine. Ford's 10-speed automatic transmission is expected and enthusiasts would love the option of a seven-speed manual.

OTHER HYBRIDS IN THE WORKS

The Ford Bronco hybrid follows the lead of other new utility vehicles to come from the automaker. The new 2020 Ford Escape goes on sale this fall with a choice of two turbocharged gasoline engines as well as a hybrid. A plug-in hybrid Escape will follow in spring 2020. The companion 2020 Lincoln Corsair goes on sale in the fall with a gasoline engine, but a plug-in hybrid is expected to follow in the second model year.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I can't wait to learn what this could mean for the Bronco's off roading capability. If its more than just a hybrid powertrain but hybrid system that benefits the Bronco's off-roading character then its an even bigger win.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just hope it stays true to the original. UNLIKE the Chevy Blazer which is just a lame crossover.

·
Registered
283 Posts
If not at least there's hope for that sportier electrified Ford SUV, inspired by the Mustang.

I only like this idea because its one area that Rivian can't get into, design wise. I see Rivian's design being Range Rover esque and would expect similar improvements. So far the R1S plays heavy on being an adventure vehicle. Might be a while before any sport trim comes along let alone a sporty model.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts