Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw Ford revealed exact pricing and options. Wow, Ford is offering the very base, base, base model of the F-150 Lighting for $40,000.

$52,000 for the XLT, HOWEVER, if you want the extended range battery (230 miles to 300+ miles), the price skyrockets $20,000 to $72,000.

Lariat starts at $67,500 and only goes up $10,000 for the extended range battery. Makes no sense that it's $10,000 on a Lariat yet $20,000 on the XLT?? Ford forces a $10,000 option package on you to get the big battery on the XLT.

The Platinum starts at $91,000.

The XLT has some conveniences, but $20,000 to get the battery 90% will want, wow. And at that, you're still getting a fairly baseline truck for $72,500.

This will absolutely result in many of their 200,000 pre-orders cancelling the reservations. Me included.

At that price point, I'd rather step up to the Hummer for $100,000+.

This should benefit Rivian too. Have a feeling they'll se an uptick in orders as a result.

Ford is better as a work truck, but Rivian is better at everything else. Ford lacks air suspension. No tonneau cover option available. It looks like the 700,000 F-150's they sell a year, so no exclusivity. I expected somewhere in the $60,000's for the Lariat.

Add in that some dealers want to charge $30,000 over MSRP. Do they really believe they can sell these things for over $120,000?? I guess there might be a few suckers out there.

I was considering buying one, in addition to the Rivian, just to be able to try both and sell the one I decided not to keep. But, at this price point, not going to happen. Considering Ford has already announced that the antiquated frame on body design will completely change in the next year or two, this version is going to be a dinosaur in just a couple of years. Resale value will be tough.

If GM can get their Silverado to production in a reasonable time, being that it's designed from the ground up as an EV and apparently will offer 400 miles in range. If the renderings are accurate, it's a pretty badass looking truck too. GM could have jacked up the price for the Corvette too, but they didn't. Respect to GM for that. Ford is basically taking advantage of the short term over-demand. Lost respect for them.

Great for Rivian. If they can step up production, they'll definitely benefit. If GM takes the same approach for the EV truck as they did for the Corvette on pricing, they'll well undercut the F-150 and with a far superior up to date truck.

·
Registered
384 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You sound surprised by this announcement? I pegged this pricing strategy over 6 months ago in this thread...
F150 Lightning Prices Leaked
F150 Lightning Prices Leaked

Yet still people thought (erroneously) that an F150 Lightning would be on the dealer lots at $40K. And now the 200,000 reservations will truly see how many people will be first adopters.
I new the $40,000 version would be the very stripped down version for use and likely to appeal as fleet vehicles. But, did expect to be able to get an XLT with ER battery for in the high $50's, not $73k. Figured the Lariat would come in somewhere in the mid to high $60's, if not just touching the $70k mark. Platinum was no surprise as they said it would be over $90, from the start. For the ICE vehicles, The top of the line ICE F-150's are $73k. So $20,000 more to go EV.. The ICE Lariat is $45,000 and the XLT is $35,000. So the jumps made sense. The top version was really, really the top version at premium of 30,000 to down to the Lariat and $40,000 down to an XLT (rounded numbers). For the EV, An XLT is only $6,000 off of the Lariat, which with is only about $11,000 off of the Platinum. So the ranges are much closer.

Ford is jacking us by forcing you to by a 9,500 option package on the XLT, instead of just paying $10K for battery. For a large battery truck, cheapest option is $73,000 for bottom of the line truck and only a $20,000 split from the top. For ICE, it's a $35,000 split that gives you more middle ground to choose from. All but the small battery Fleet version is under $72,000. GM Showed respect for its customers with the C8. Could have easily charged way more and didn't want to. If they do the same with the Silverado, it will undercut the Ford by a large margin. More importantly, their customers will respect them while Ford is burning bridges for a few short term gains. GM is playing the long game and will be far more respected and successful. In the Long Run. Rivian is build a bunch this year. Ford is Building a bunch as well, but add in dealer makeups and the prices will be just stupid.

GM and Rivian come on top i this battle by a mile within the next year.

They lit my bridge on fire, the one that provide my only access to a Ford Dealer, and I'm sitting back and watching it burn. No desire to cross that bridge again. I knew that 10 years ago when I jumped on the Tesla bandwagon, I wouldn't miss working with slimeball DEALERS again. Had hoped they would have learned something in the past 8-10 years. I see they've learned absolutely nothing!

One reservation just cleared up. I'll have another one on a GMC Pickup tomorrow / today!, in addition to my Rivian reservation, which I'll certainly be following through on. Looks like I'll try the Rivian for a year or year and a half, then have the luxury of many to choose from by the end of 0203

·
Registered
145 Posts
I new the $40,000 version would be the very stripped down version for use and likely to appeal as fleet vehicles. But, did expect to be able to get an XLT with ER battery for in the high $50's, not $73k. Figured the Lariat would come in somewhere in the mid to high $60's, if not just touching the $70k mark. Platinum was no surprise as they said it would be over $90, from the start. For the ICE vehicles, The top of the line ICE F-150's are $73k. So $20,000 more to go EV.. The ICE Lariat is $45,000 and the XLT is $35,000. So the jumps made sense. The top version was really, really the top version at premium of 30,000 to down to the Lariat and $40,000 down to an XLT (rounded numbers). For the EV, An XLT is only $6,000 off of the Lariat, which with is only about $11,000 off of the Platinum. So the ranges are much closer.

Ford is jacking us by forcing you to by a 9,500 option package on the XLT, instead of just paying $10K for battery. For a large battery truck, cheapest option is $73,000 for bottom of the line truck and only a $20,000 split from the top. For ICE, it's a $35,000 split that gives you more middle ground to choose from. All but the small battery Fleet version is under $72,000. GM Showed respect for its customers with the C8. Could have easily charged way more and didn't want to. If they do the same with the Silverado, it will undercut the Ford by a large margin. More importantly, their customers will respect them while Ford is burning bridges for a few short term gains. GM is playing the long game and will be far more respected and successful. In the Long Run. Rivian is build a bunch this year. Ford is Building a bunch as well, but add in dealer makeups and the prices will be just stupid.

GM and Rivian come on top i this battle by a mile within the next year.

They lit my bridge on fire, the one that provide my only access to a Ford Dealer, and I'm sitting back and watching it burn. No desire to cross that bridge again. I knew that 10 years ago when I jumped on the Tesla bandwagon, I wouldn't miss working with slimeball DEALERS again. Had hoped they would have learned something in the past 8-10 years. I see they've learned absolutely nothing!

One reservation just cleared up. I'll have another one on a GMC Pickup tomorrow / today!, in addition to my Rivian reservation, which I'll certainly be following through on. Looks like I'll try the Rivian for a year or year and a half, then have the luxury of many to choose from by the end of 0203
Made the decision to cancel Ford reservation a few days ago when the dealer mark-up story came out. Having a place to go nearby to deal with warranty issues would be of some value, but not worth 5 figures. Never wanted a pick-up in the first place, been waiting 3 years for the R1S. The Ford was a back-up EV in case Rivian melted down in start up. Now that we are counting down the weeks to delivery, it was time to say "Sorry Charlie" to the Ford deal. The increase in prices just confirmed our decision.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Well, the other thing that is going to cause Ford some pain is that you can configure the truck on the web and get a price based on your configuration, but that's not the price you're gonna pay due to dealer markups which any buyer will 100% know is just pure profit above and beyond the manufacturer's suggested retail price. Everyone hates car dealerships already, but now we know the actual retail pricing and will be able to clearly see the markup greed $$$.

·
Registered
815 Posts
There won't be any pain for Ford. They will fulfill all of the top reservations without a problem. They just took the shotgun approach to securing as many reservations as possible, boosted their own value by having so many reservation holders, understood that they had the largest captive truck audience to capitalize on, and are now just separating high-value from low-value reservation holders. This didn't happen by mistake. They are also creating more demand by fulfilling these models first and wowing the public with everything you see in a Ford lightening commercial on TV during a NFL game in prime time. There is way more demand than supply... This is simple economics at its most base level.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts