Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

If you ordered a MaxPack, when do you think you will take delivery?

• February 2022

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • April 2022

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • June 2022

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Early Fall 2022

Votes: 29 78.4%
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
And just to be absolutely clear, this Preorder Agreement is what you agreed to when you made a deposit. I have excerpted and highlighted some relevant parts of it below.

1. No Obligations
Each Preorder you submit for a Vehicle acts as a deposit for a future purchase of the Vehicle. You are under no obligation to purchase a Vehicle from us, and we are under no obligation to supply you with a Vehicle.

5. No Guarantee of Delivery Date
You are preordering a Vehicle without specifying the model, features, and options. We will endeavor to produce Your Selected Vehicle in the future and your priority will be set by the date of payment of your Preorder Fee, our manufacturing schedule, our delivery and service operations availability and execution of the Final Sales Agreement. There is no guarantee as to delivery date based on your Preorder.

9. Force Majeure
The obligations of you and Rivian under this Agreement (other than your payment obligations) will be suspended to the extent that such party is wholly or partially precluded from complying with its obligations under this Agreement by force majeure. Force majeure includes, but is not restricted to, ... epidemic, public health emergency, quarantine restriction, ... or any other event or circumstance beyond such party’s control.
The customer experience is greatly affected by how a customer is treated, including communications and meeting expectations.

Nothing wrong with taking a deposit for a product with the understanding said product will be available in a reasonable amount of time.

If the seller isn't confident they can deliver a product in a reasonable amount of time (....hhhmm a year? two years?) then it is not going to create a great customer experience if it takes in excess of three years. It would be wiser to delay taking deposits from customers.

Nothing is gained by taking a deposit and not delivering for 3 and 1/2 years, or more. Customer experience is your customers’ holistic perception of their experience with your business or brand. Delivering a great customer experience is hugely important for any business.

·
Registered
2017 Prius, 2012 Tacoma, 2012 Vespa GTV300
62 Posts
I'm sorry but I respectfully disagree.
For those early preorders that placed a deposit in 2018, 2019 or even early 2020 when either of these vehicles was a concept by a brand new vehicle manufacturer who had never and was not currently operating a mass production line, what was your thought process exactly?
Did you really think it would take 12 months to purchase or build a plant, design the production line, hire and train staff, order materials, commence production and fulfill deliveries?
In my opinion you are responsible for managing your own expectations in this case. It appears that some are comparing this to Ford designing, producing then delivering the F150 Lightning. Comparing Rivian to a century old manufacturer redesigning their most popular vehicle into simply an EV version and being able to use existing infrastructure to produce it would be a fools game.
Maybe it's me but I would've just figured I'd either never get the vehicle but hope to get my money back or it would take at least 5 years. Anything better than that and I would be ecstatic. But, that's just me.
Sorry, but just the way I feel as an outsider not currently affected by this process.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Neither publicly traded valuations nor manufacturing ramps work like that.
I was tongue in cheek on that....thus my LOL at the end.

Stock valuation has nothing to do with the ability to deliver. Agreed.

However, Rivian started as a company back in 2009. They had several prototypes of the R1T running around in the wild, and driving from South America to the US back in 2019. They said they would deliver vehicles by "the end of 2020". Then the pandemic, so they pushed it to June 2021. Then a delay, they pushed it to September 2021. Then a delay and basically pushed most of the LEs until the end of 2021. Which is where we are now.

If they have a problem with manufacturing, or an issue with the cold range of the existing batteries, etc. COMMUNICATE that to existing customers. Be truthful, and sincere. Don't be dodgy.

PS It ain't a chip shortage issue. Ford has a chip shortage, but they build 4 million vehicles a year. Rivian has only delivered about 100 vehicles. Rivian should be able to scrounge up a thousand chips or so. Ford drops that many on the floor.

·
Registered
38 Posts
PS It ain't a chip shortage issue. Ford has a chip shortage, but they build 4 million vehicles a year. Rivian has only delivered about 100 vehicles. Rivian should be able to scrounge up a thousand chips or so. Ford drops that many on the floor.
The problem with this comparison is it doesn't take into account the contracts that Ford (and other massive, well-funded companies like Apple) have with the manufacturers. There are delivery requirements from their sub manufacturers (including the other way with forced minimums) that will cause some manufacturers to use their full capacity and push everyone else to the end of the line.

Rivian currently has zero ability to compete with any of the large car manufacturers so even if Ford (who is producing significantly fewer than normal just like other car manufacturers) is able to continue to produce vehicles at a rate much higher than Rivian it can still mean that Rivian gets zero components.

It is absolutely frustrating especially since this is the first time in most of our memories of such a massive shortage across all industries, but Rivian doesn't have the clout to beat out Ford.

I also see the comparisons with Lucid, again this is a false comparison. We don't know the specifics of what is causing the most significant supply constraints on Rivian. For example, if it is part of the active dampening system there is no issue for Lucid since their cars don't have that feature.

·
Registered
216 Posts
It is great Rivian raised a ton of money/capital with their IPO. And great for those that bought the stock at $78, and sold at $160 (and great for the IRS as you pay the tax on that gain) but I simply want to know when the MaxPack versions will be delivered.

And don't tell me "January 2022".

Is expecting to take delivery by May 2022 too optimistic?
Lucky good job on the stock
I let my heart lead me

·
Registered
40 Posts
Lucky good job on the stock
I let my heart lead me
Dont count on 2022. Reason being is its my guess that batteries are going to be the biggest limiting factor. Meaning battery production. I think its one of the reasons Tesla went to the 4680, they knew this supply shortage was on the horizon. With new EV companies like Rivian and Lucid and particularly OEMs like Ford, GM, Toyota all jumping on the EV bandwagon with models releasing in the next 1-2 years (not to mention China and Korea), its going to constrain worldwide battery production.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts