Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

FOUR YEARS

3K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  David Sandridge 
Been resisting the urge to vent but ordered in Jan 2019 and now have an October-December delivery time for my R1S. So many delays, no information, and what started as lots of events, swag, appreciation, and feeling like part of a shared experience, I now feels like a customer who has less value to Rivian than the person who joined the line with an extra $20k price much more recently.

I understand all the why's and how's, it just that now I feel a lot less important to Rivian, it's hard not to feel Rivian is not a lot less important to me. Rivian owes me nothing (except $1000), and they are just trying to make money and stay in business, but it is very hard not to feel like the 3+ years of waiting and the initial effort they made to 'keep the dream alive' was a cynical effort to step on me to keep their own dream alive.
Like I said, just venting, and understand the OPs frustration.

Yeah it seems really hit and miss as to what can help you get your vehicle sooner. Since you changed the interior what's the rest of you R1S' spec like?

Only options are Forest green, wall charger, and floor mats. Maybe I should delete the floors mats and/or wall charger... :unsure:

The other thing is that our family car (Acura MDX) lease expired in June and we returned it because we had a May-June delivery date (the updated one from the original one of course) and now we are without a family car which the Rivian was supposed to replace. In Rivian's defense, the auto industry seems to be in big trouble - Acura paid me $6k to return my battle scarred MDX (when I was expecting to have to pay them to fix the damage!).

Again, not Rivian's problem, they owe me nothing but my deposit, but my wife is getting antsy about all this :oops:

Similar situation here with family car/lease. We sold ours instead and basically paid for the 2/3's of the lease. Nice that Acura paid you when you returned it... kind of astonishing really. Im fairly certain that most lease returns, the dealer is NOT telling the customer that their vehicle is worth more than the payoff and compensating them for it.
I didn't understand why they made the offer either (I honestly expected to pay them - my poker face strained when they told me!) - but I have always been a big Honda/Acura fan (MDX, Pilot, S2000, Odyssey, Pioneer 1000). Honda is IMO a great car company and I guess that really speaks to their ethics. When every other auto manufacturer (or rather dealer) seem to be gauging customers, its pretty incredible they made me any sort of offer on a lease return!

I've long been a fan of Honda/Acura, but I've been frustrated with how they've handled leases during the pandemic. They went out of their way to block people from selling their vehicles to Carvana/CarMax and that rubs me the wrong way.
Interesting - I considered selling the Acura to Vroom or one of those but didn't follow-up with it. Sold a car to Vroom during the pandemic and that worked out pretty well, but it wasn't a lease.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.