Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

FOUR YEARS

3K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  David Sandridge 
#1 ·
If you placed your preorder in the fall of 2018, your wait as of last weeks EMAIL is four years. And if you were notified by your guide that you were comfirmed in the APRIL-MAY delivery group and can expect additional delivery information in a couple weeks. What does this say about the value of the information shared by them?
Can we acknowledge or admit that we have been lied to consistently? We accepted the pandemic, staffing shortage, supply limitations and stock market failure to create more delayed delivery dates. And not to forget that for over a year prior to the opening of the Configuration date, we were told that the MAXPACK would be the 400mi range package. Of course upon Configuration time the 400mi range Package is not available, and becomes a 316mi range package. We were also told that the 400mi range Maxpack as well as the R1S would be available at the beginning of 2022. And let's not forget the price increases. "So I guess one shouldn't be surprised by by another lie!"
"MAYBE but MAYBE 3 and 4 year preorder holders will receive a beautiful good faith 🙏 offer from Rivian, like a $5000.00 discount on their preorders. Or a 400mi range battery pack at no extra charge if they are willing to wait another year for its delivery date!"

#2 ·
Keep dreaming! Not with so many orders Rivian isn't going to discount your vehicle based off time waiting. Just be lucky that they rolled back the price increase. If you are unhappy at this point in time, jump ship and find another vehicle that suits your needs.

I could complain that the wrist band is not included with all pre-order holders (only LE order holders). I could bitch that the pelican box for the fob, cards, and wrist band are only given to stock investors into the company. I could also gripe that the wrist band (arguably the BEST way to get into your vehicle) is not available for public consumption until later this year or that it will be SOLD as an option!

But at the end of the day, the pros out way the cons in my mind that the vehicle still packs a lot of value to me no matter when I take delivery.

#18 ·
Keep dreaming! Not with so many orders Rivian isn't going to discount your vehicle based off time waiting. Just be lucky that they rolled back the price increase. If you are unhappy at this point in time, jump ship and find another vehicle that suits your needs.

I could complain that the wrist band is not included with all pre-order holders (only LE order holders). I could bitch that the pelican box for the fob, cards, and wrist band are only given to stock investors into the company. I could also gripe that the wrist band (arguably the BEST way to get into your vehicle) is not available for public consumption until later this year or that it will be SOLD as an option!

But at the end of the day, the pros out way the cons in my mind that the vehicle still packs a lot of value to me no matter when I take delivery.
PROs outweigh CONS for sure if you get your truck . . . but 2018 order, 11/16/20 configuration holder here typing - no truck is not acceptable and should not be considered a "gripe" -- I literally haev no truck . . . . without initial LE orders, there would have not been the hype required RJ to get Amazon, Ford and go public at all . . . yes, acknowledge us and take care of us -- 100% agree with OG post.

#3 ·
3.5 years, not 4, right? Earliest reservation was November 2018?

Still a LONG time, to be sure. But saying "4 years" seems disingenuous.

Reactions: ERivTruck
#4 ·
If you really believe that these are lies (i.e., deliberate attempts to deceive), and not just problems encountered by a new car manufacturer accompanied by poor/unclear communications, then you should immediately cancel your order.

I have an estimated delivery window of "first half 2023." I take that with a big grain of salt. Emphasis on the "estimated."

If the date slips to the second half of 2023, I am not going to come here and say I was lied to.

If it slips to 2024, I will be very unhappy and may look elsewhere if there are other options. I still won't claim I was lied to unless I get a GAURANTEED delivery date with a notarized letter from R.J Scaringe telling me I will definitely get my R1 on a certain date and I don't get it. Even then, it's pretty bold to claim that I was lied to if there is a legitimate reason (like the truck is hit by a meteor on the way to my house). I will only be mad if they don't let me keep the meteorite.

#5 ·
It appears that most these comments are from people who have not been on the flip side of the vehicle waiting list. Nor have they experienced the let downs of promises to deliver. Nor were they around a year and half prior to Configuration time when preorder holders were led to believe that the MAXPACK was the 400mi range package, and that it would be available in January 2022.
Maybe they're right, it's probably best that I cancel my November 2018 preorder, and reconsider one of the many new EV developments that are about hit the market!

#6 ·
I ordered in 2018 -shortly after they opened up the pre-ordering. Still waiting ..... live in California didnt order anything special. Really bummed to see others that ordered after me getting theirs. HAPPY they got theirs. Just wished I wasnt getting the shaft. Correction - was just told I ordered early 2019.

#7 · (Edited)
Been resisting the urge to vent but ordered in Jan 2019 and now have an October-December delivery time for my R1S. So many delays, no information, and what started as lots of events, swag, appreciation, and feeling like part of a shared experience, I now feels like a customer who has less value to Rivian than the person who joined the line with an extra $20k price much more recently.

I understand all the why's and how's, it just that now I feel a lot less important to Rivian, it's hard not to feel Rivian is not a lot less important to me. Rivian owes me nothing (except $1000), and they are just trying to make money and stay in business, but it is very hard not to feel like the 3+ years of waiting and the initial effort they made to 'keep the dream alive' was a cynical effort to step on me to keep their own dream alive.
Like I said, just venting, and understand the OPs frustration.

#13 ·
Only options are Forest green, wall charger, and floor mats. Maybe I should delete the floors mats and/or wall charger... :unsure:

The other thing is that our family car (Acura MDX) lease expired in June and we returned it because we had a May-June delivery date (the updated one from the original one of course) and now we are without a family car which the Rivian was supposed to replace. In Rivian's defense, the auto industry seems to be in big trouble - Acura paid me $6k to return my battle scarred MDX (when I was expecting to have to pay them to fix the damage!).

Again, not Rivian's problem, they owe me nothing but my deposit, but my wife is getting antsy about all this :oops:
Similar situation here with family car/lease. We sold ours instead and basically paid for the 2/3's of the lease. Nice that Acura paid you when you returned it... kind of astonishing really. Im fairly certain that most lease returns, the dealer is NOT telling the customer that their vehicle is worth more than the payoff and compensating them for it.

#14 ·
Similar situation here with family car/lease. We sold ours instead and basically paid for the 2/3's of the lease. Nice that Acura paid you when you returned it... kind of astonishing really. Im fairly certain that most lease returns, the dealer is NOT telling the customer that their vehicle is worth more than the payoff and compensating them for it.
I didn't understand why they made the offer either (I honestly expected to pay them - my poker face strained when they told me!) - but I have always been a big Honda/Acura fan (MDX, Pilot, S2000, Odyssey, Pioneer 1000). Honda is IMO a great car company and I guess that really speaks to their ethics. When every other auto manufacturer (or rather dealer) seem to be gauging customers, its pretty incredible they made me any sort of offer on a lease return!

#9 ·
Thats exactly it ... who knows what makes a difference? I know customer support doesnt know or isnt willing to tell you. Heck I was told by several support folks that they could not confirm or deny if I changed to R1S (year or so back) that it would impact my delivery date. I took from those conversations that switching to R1S wouldnt significantly add to delivery date.
Talking to them now after they moved my date way out (was April May, then May June... now further out) didnt provide any assurance that would help me understand where I stand in line. Guessing there is a Forum thread that discusses your order date/number and how they dont really go by this for xyz reassons (if it exists and someone has that share the link).

Surely I dont have enough insight into how to handle the complexities of some sort of IF/THEN selection of options that would allow you to basically order the most prevalent / fastest options to speed up your order, but one would think they could do this. Heck even just have an option that allowed you to say give me any Launch edition available or something significant such as that so you dont box yourself into some extended wait time because you wanted 21" wheels instead of 20" (for example)....

#11 ·
The only thing we knew for sure was the LE R1T's with LARGE packs were going to get priority and be delivered by Rivian 1st.
That meant that MAXC PACKS and R1S's were going to take the back seat.
There were also no guarantees that the R1T's would be delivered.
We all had "reservations" for orders, not actual orders.
I would look at this as a 1-for-1 slip. The R1T LE's slipped, then everything else slips behind it. Those slips will occur at different rates.
It's not fun, but it is also to be expected. It's also an issue with all other OEM's and EV manufacturers, so the grass isn't always greener.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.