Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am my have the R1t with 21 inch tires. On delivery it had 315 miles on a full charge. I understand that it is best to charge to 70%most of the time, but. periodically I need to do a full charge. Each time now it 'only' gets to 301 miles.. I have had it about one month, so where have my 14 miles gone? Is this common and within expectations?

· Registered
Tesla Model Y LR 2020; Rivian R1T Adventure 2022 (Reservation)
110 Posts
EVs (actually all battery powered devices) do lose a little range/capacity as the battery wears in. What used to hold 135kwh may only hold 120kwh now, for example.

I'm not certain how Rivian vehicles generate that range estimate, but in Teslas I believe it is based entirely on stored energy and the original EPA estimate at 50 mph. Myself and most other Tesla owners encourage people to switch to percentage view and disregard that effectively useless number.

If Rivians actually change that estimated number based on the history of that particular vehicle's performance, then you're probably going to see that number come down even if the battery hasn't lost any capacity. But I can't speak to that for Rivians as I'm not aware of how that number is generated in the first place.

· Registered
25 Posts
I am my have the R1t with 21 inch tires. On delivery it had 315 miles on a full charge. I understand that it is best to charge to 70%most of the time, but. periodically I need to do a full charge. Each time now it 'only' gets to 301 miles.. I have had it about one month, so where have my 14 miles gone? Is this common and within expectations?
I can understand your concern. How many miles on your R1T? How many charge cycles? Do you know the total kWhs used? Thanks for any info.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Calculated on AllTerain, which is the way it was delivered with. then the max was 315.
Only 700 miles.at present. Have done 4 charges to 100%, and each time 301 miles at 100%..usung the Rivian home charger at 11kw/hr..Every other charge at 70%... I'm not particularly worried, I just imagined that 4-5 of the 7776 batteries went bad. ❓

· Registered
149 Posts
I would guess that you’re just seeing the “guess o meter” adjusting to your driving habits. It could also be adjusting the range estimate down as the weather cools, too.
I would not put much stock in the range estimate as an indicator of battery health.

A better way to look for a bad battery is to compare the kWh you add when charging to the reported change in battery percent. Divide the kWh added by the percent change in SoC to get a rough estimate of overall capacity. As long as it’s close you’re probably ok.

· Registered
401 Posts
315 miles will only be seen in Conserve mode.

Next, Rivian computer adjusts range estimates based on driving style. So if you haven't changed your driving mode, then you driving itself is likely more aggressive than is needed to obtain maximum range.

Have you saved Trip A or B for lifetime mileage and efficiency? If so, if your lifetime miles per watt hour are less than 2.0, then your range estimate is likely to be less than the EPA rated range.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got it.. I probably have been a bit aggressive in my driving habits (but she is such a responsive fun truck, and I am coming from an audi s5 and a porsche boxster... ((Ok ok.. slight exaggeration. Rivian is not a porsche) Time to be slightly less lead footed. Very helpful responses, thx...

· Registered
44 Posts
There is so much dis-information I don't even know where to begin. BLUF, you will never ever never see 315 with 20ATs again. That was likely a software config mismatch. 21s get 314 by EPA, the rest "The Dual-Motor and 21" wheel combination is the most efficient, with the 20” and 22” wheels having a range reduction of 10-15% and 5-10% respectively. Estimates will vary depending on driving style and conditions.³" max you'll see with 20s at 100% is usually about 30mi less.

With 20s Ive averaged about 282 at 100%. That's pretty consistent since new 5months ago. You can get more than 282 in actuality, but 282 is average max imo. Driving habits, conditions, modes, suspension, all matter.

As for put it in percentage not miles, forget it. Just keep it in miles. Been Tesla since 2016, the S is kept in range left not percentage.

· Registered
401 Posts
There is so much dis-information I don't even know where to begin. BLUF, you will never ever never see 315 with 20ATs again. That was likely a software config mismatch. 21s get 314 by EPA, the rest "The Dual-Motor and 21" wheel combination is the most efficient, with the 20” and 22” wheels having a range reduction of 10-15% and 5-10% respectively. Estimates will vary depending on driving style and conditions.³" max you'll see with 20s at 100% is usually about 30mi less.

With 20s Ive averaged about 282 at 100%. That's pretty consistent since new 5months ago. You can get more than 282 in actuality, but 282 is average max imo. Driving habits, conditions, modes, suspension, all matter.

As for put it in percentage not miles, forget it. Just keep it in miles. Been Tesla since 2016, the S is kept in range left not percentage.
I actually love having both range and percentage. Especially with the Rivian since it adjusts range estimates based on driving style. Tesla always puts up the "big number" and you never get anywhere near it in real world driving. It's a useless number. Have more info available, to me, is always a good thing. The percentage is the equivalent of a gas gage in an Ice. Most later model ICE cars also have estimated range available too. I think it's great that they added both to the driver display screen. Something I never had in my Tesla. And, in the Rivian, I actually get almost identical to the range it tells me I will get. Tesla, always had to figure on about 75% of what it told me.

· Registered
1,679 Posts
I think there’s something off in Rivians calculations in the last OTA. My lifetimee average, according to the trip computer, is 2.4mi/kWh, but it says I only get 270 miles of range at 100% in All Purpose. It doesn’t make sense.

· Registered
44 Posts
I actually love having both range and percentage. Especially with the Rivian since it adjusts range estimates based on driving style. Tesla always puts up the "big number" and you never get anywhere near it in real world driving. It's a useless number. Have more info available, to me, is always a good thing. The percentage is the equivalent of a gas gage in an Ice. Most later model ICE cars also have estimated range available too. I think it's great that they added both to the driver display screen. Something I never had in my Tesla. And, in the Rivian, I actually get almost identical to the range it tells me I will get. Tesla, always had to figure on about 75% of what it told me.
No doubt having both available is nice, but range left in mi. is instantaneously translatable to distance vs battery percentage. Tesla's have both, but it's definitely more clunky to switch between.

· Registered
401 Posts
Off by 10%. Phantom drain? How much does yours drop when it just sits, per day?
I think right now, they are programmed to a "maximum" figure based on your wheel configuration and mode setting. Despite having 21's on my truck, the display STILL says it has 20" all-terrains. At 100% charge in all-purpose mode, it charges to the same 270 miles. The difference being, it takes a good 8 to 10 miles now for it to come off of that number. There have been other EV's I've owned that have done the same thing. They do adjust based on driving, but for some reason, the manufacturers leave a maximum limit in there. Possibly they'll adjust this some day? At the 85% charge figure, mine does show a higher figure now than it used to. So appears this is only the case when charging to 100%.

· Registered
1,679 Posts
Off by 10%. Phantom drain? How much does yours drop when it just sits, per day?
Not vampire/phantom drain. I lose basically nothing when sitting in my garage. Often it’s the same estimate when I come back to the truck. Maybe I’ll lose 1 mile overnight if I don’t plug in. I’ve been lucky in that regard.

usually I leave it plugged in and my charge limit is set to 70%. For the first couple months it was a consistent 216 miles each morning. Now it’s 193-194 :-(

· Registered
1,679 Posts
I'm jealous. You doing anything special ie shop or camp mode at night?
Nope. I park in an enclosed garage. I have GearGuard on, but automatically disabled when "at home".

I'm surprised I don't get more drain, since I hear the truck locking/unlocking all the time when I'm in the house. But it's really nothing to write home about.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts