Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me….But with so many of us waiting for full size spares through the Gear shop, why would Rivian make complete sets of wheel/tires available first BEFORE we can buy just one? Even the service advisors were surprised….Hopefully not much longer before we can get that full size spare!!!

· Registered
871 Posts
Is it just me….But with so many of us waiting for full size spares through the Gear shop, why would Rivian make complete sets of wheel/tires available first BEFORE we can buy just one? Even the service advisors were surprised….Hopefully not much longer before we can get that full size spare!!!
Welcome @Kiwimagic! I guess Rivian decided to put all their resources for tires getting as many vehicles made as possible. How long have you had your Rivian for? Which wheels do you have?

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome @Kiwimagic! I guess Rivian decided to put all their resources for tires getting as many vehicles made as possible. How long have you had your Rivian for? Which wheels do you have?
About 4 weeks, 20” AT wheels… If you are right about the tires…Then they’d have more wheels for more vehicles if they just made single spares available today....

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you wanting a full size spare for a 2nd set of wheels? Just curious because when you purchased you had the option to include the full size spare no?
yeah funny story…I changed my config so many times that when I finally got contacted by Rivian to lock in my order, I’d forgotten about the spare!!

Now playing catchup…

· Registered
11 Posts
yeah funny story…I changed my config so many times that when I finally got contacted by Rivian to lock in my order, I’d forgotten about the spare!!

Now playing catchup…
I did exactly the same thing. Kicking myself now. I had changed back to the 21s, figured I’d get back to re-adding the spare at some point, forgot about it, and then soft-locked my config on a weekend when the Guide wasn’t available immediately after the steps opened.

Now I’m really hoping to pick up a spare when my truck shows up in a few weeks. DOH!

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bummer man, I’m so sorry. That’s gotta be frustrating
It is…And the truck is in the shop at the moment with a DCFC charging issue (it won’t take a fast charge). The good news is Rivian, to their credit, are all over it and want to make it right. These are the joys of being an early adopter. I’ve had lots of EVs over the last 30 years so I’ve seen it all. The good news is, once you go EV you’ll never go back. There’s more and more choices coming with better performance, longer range, and even the charging infrastructure is getting more prolific (slowly). Gotta say though…For all its challenges, Rivian have done an amazing job with their first generation product. Can’t wait to see what they have in store for us in the future.

· Registered
284 Posts
What's the opinion of most ... Spare or no Spare and use the extra space?
I guess it depends on your use case? If you're going to be doing a lot of off-roading, I would think you'd want it. But if you're only driving on the streets, it's really up to you. I've been driving EV's since 2012 and never had an EV with a spare and never needed one.

· Registered
2022 R1T no spare, no tonneau, El Cap, dark 22's
80 Posts
I'm on the fence about the spare. like kiwimagic I lost track of the spare during configuration. My experience with flats is the tire is rarely ruined. I have the goop kits with the Tesla. the BMW run flats would get ruined from a pothole, but that's my daughter's issue now. pulling an 80 pound tire out of the well doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
I'm sure some mathematician could tell us the energy savings over 10K miles with 80 pounds less weight to lug around.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts