Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Home | Nano One Materials Corp.

Note: select the video on the right side of the window for a scientist’s description of the company’s battery technology.

Incidentally the company’s share price took a leap above 20% a couple days ago. The company denied knowledge of the reason. There is no ownership of company shares here; only curiosity. Obviously there have to be much greater improvements in battery costs before there are floods of new companies developing battery energy driven products. Such products will drive out the high end of those currently available or being developed.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Interesting stuff but it might be helpful if you provide some relevance to Rivian (General Discussion forum).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does seem to me that battery development is absolutely related to not only Rivian but everything that is battery operated and could benefit from lower cost higher energy density batteries.

I guess I missed your point. Please elaborate.

·
Registered
152 Posts
It does seem to me that battery development is absolutely related to not only Rivian but everything that is battery operated and could benefit from lower cost higher energy density batteries.

I guess I missed your point. Please elaborate.
This is a Rivian related forum, not a battery tech forum and everything related to battery tech. Does battery tech get discussed in this forum, yes, but there's usually some correlation or relevance to Rivian on why a person posts something about battery tech. E.g. are you implying Rivian should use this battery technology? In other words, don't make reader have to guess and wonder what's the connection to Rivian. Provide some reasons on why you're sharing this info and it's relevance to Rivian that forum members may be interested in. If there is no relevancy to Rivian, that's fine, than I would suggest posting this in the Off Topic section of this forum since it doesn't have a battery or tech category/section like other forums do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ll take your suggestions. I’m a bit constrained on how much time I can spend familiarizing myself with how things are categorized here. Posting info that has promise in the right places to get replies is definitely worth doing. I try to stay away from the “Popular Science” stuff though. You never know when getting something with real potential might emerge from a company that will become widely recognized as enormously successful.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't say I've heard of Nano One. Have they partnered with any car manufacturers?
My understanding is that they are partnering with other companies that will use their lithium based battery chemicals to develop completed batteries. Please listen to the interview where this is fully explained. Nano One is a research firm dedicated solely to the development of better battery materials. This is a process that requires many other companies to become involved in the final result. From what I’ve seen it will take talented manufacturing engineers to reduce the costs of lithium batteries so they obtain an increased battery market share. A look at current batteries reveals that producing them is VERY labor intensive.

I’ve been told that this is not the best place to post this information. Rivian was mentioned 4X here. I see battery technology to be at the top of the “need list” for EVs to enter the transportation mainstream. It is of such importance that I think it warrants a separate forum category than those that are listed. That can only be helpful to Rivian. It should go without saying that the reticence of most when it comes to buying an electric vehicle is the lack of performance information, in particular range, structural load limits on truck beds and availability of charge stations on extended journeys.

There is also the issue of structural integrity. The more powerful and compact that lithium batteries become, the more possibilities will be available to increase load levels. That also will, in the case of pickup trucks, provide more usage flexibility when it comes to what is placed on the truck bed. That should be an easy call for Rivian by partnering with any companies that produce structures for placement on truck beds that will fully describe installed loads. Computer programs for these purposes have been available for many years in engineering departments, and would be available to both Rivian and partnering companies that can fully document, from an engineering perspective, both static and dynamic structural loads when combined on pickup truck beds. The end result to the customer would be that; yes, you can place module X on an R1T, or any of a range of other selected approved possibilities. From a safety perspective such approvals are far more important than “self driving”.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts