Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I have owned my R1T for two weeks now. The truck is great and a pleasure to drive. It's got it's quirks that I'm sure will be worked out via updated. But the mechanics and quality of the driver experiance is quite nice.

I do how er use my truck for work. Constantly loading and unloading the bed, storing items in the gear tunnel, etc....

The issue I'm having is the acute trailing point on the gear tunnel door. Fortunately I wear fairly heavy duty pants while at work but more than once I have stepped off the gear tunnel door and caught my shin on the point or some other variation of running my leg into the trailing point. It's a lot like hitting your shin on a trialer hitch but more acute of a surface.

My major concern is my wife or kid loading or unloading something in shorts and hitting it with their skin. Absolute possiblity of injury. I have seen a couple posts already.

1: what do people recommend to help soften or guard that area. A bumper on the inside to make that area less sharp? (I have event thought the point may have to be cut off and just permanently attached to the truck.)

2: does Rivian think this is an issue. How do I bring this up to them as a concern before somebody gets injured.

It seems like it's something they may want to fix going forward to prevent injury.

Thanks for any thoughts and feedback.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Ok. I have owned my R1T for two weeks now. The truck is great and a pleasure to drive. It's got it's quirks that I'm sure will be worked out via updated. But the mechanics and quality of the driver experiance is quite nice.

I do how er use my truck for work. Constantly loading and unloading the bed, storing items in the gear tunnel, etc....

The issue I'm having is the acute trailing point on the gear tunnel door. Fortunately I wear fairly heavy duty pants while at work but more than once I have stepped off the gear tunnel door and caught my shin on the point or some other variation of running my leg into the trailing point. It's a lot like hitting your shin on a trialer hitch but more acute of a surface.

My major concern is my wife or kid loading or unloading something in shorts and hitting it with their skin. Absolute possiblity of injury. I have seen a couple posts already.

1: what do people recommend to help soften or guard that area. A bumper on the inside to make that area less sharp? (I have event thought the point may have to be cut off and just permanently attached to the truck.)

2: does Rivian think this is an issue. How do I bring this up to them as a concern before somebody gets injured.

It seems like it's something they may want to fix going forward to prevent injury.

yeah it would require quite significant changes but I don’t think it’s really a hazard. I do agree it’s a bit annoying and can cause minor scrapes. I hit my shin on it and cut myself slightly.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah it would require quite significant changes but I don’t think it’s really a hazard. I do agree it’s a bit annoying and can cause minor scrapes. I hit my shin on it and cut myself slightly.
In my 43 years of life I have never had a vehicle that I had to be cautious around because there was an injury hazzard. Driving is one thing. That's not a design failure. (unless your Elon musk. Then accidents are a design failure and should be worked out of the system)

·
Registered
Tesla Model Y LR 2020; Rivian R1T Adventure 2022 (Reservation)
93 Posts
In my 43 years of life I have never had a vehicle that I had to be cautious around because there was an injury hazzard. Driving is one thing. That's not a design failure. (unless your Elon musk. Then accidents are a design failure and should be worked out of the system)
In my 44 years of life I have seen plenty of vehicle attributes that were an injury hazard. The corner of frameless doors. The corner of tailgates. The corner of swinging gate on a Wrangler. Corner of metal bumpers. All of the hinging mechanism in a convertible.

I guess that one more year of life is a doozy! ;)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hmm, on multiple occasions I have hit my head and cut it open on the lift gate of SUV’s when open. both on cars owned by me and other peoples cars. Those can have sharp edges.

·
Registered
Tesla Model Y LR 2020; Rivian R1T Adventure 2022 (Reservation)
93 Posts
Hmm, on multiple occasions I have hit my head and cut it open on the lift gate of SUV’s when open. both on cars owned by me and other peoples cars. Those can have sharp edges.
I completely forgot about lift gates! Probably from all the damage I've done to myself by them.

·
Registered
22 Posts

I gave myself 2 bruises on my leg the first 3 days of ownership. But I learned to look for that point when the door is down. Hasn’t happened again. Just a learned habit like was stated earlier with suv lifted hatch. Just remember how to step around when it’s open.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I have not had the "pleasure" in making contact with that tip, however, my wife's first complaint in riding in the rear seat is that the point on the closed GT door comes in contact with her calf as she exits out the vehicle. o_O

1 - 10 of 10 Posts