Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In case this ever happens, there may be a way to get out of being completely stranded by your gear tunnel door latch not accepting the "U-hook". Yesterday, I was only a couple of miles from my house, but opened the gear tunnel door to throw a tarp into the gear tunnel. When I went to close it, the latching mechanism inside the tunnel would not function. The hook would hit the latch in the right place, but it would just bounce off, and not engage. The tunnel door was open and it would not close. I tried unlocking and locking everything, opening various doors and latches, fiddling with the button, but no joy. I hit the safety button inside the gear tunnel, but nothing worked. I was in safe mode, and a red alarm went off on the dash and would not shut off or clear, as the SW thought someone was stuck inside the gear tunnel - I had intentionally pressed the white button in the tunnel in one of my attempts to get the latching mechanism to work properly. I moved the truck to a safe spot (tunnel opened all the way down while driving slowly in safe mode) and called Rivian service. I tried 2 hard resets / reboots, but no joy. They would be sending a flat bed. I continued trying to trouble shoot on my own, and then remembered that one of my kids was trying to jam a bag into the gear tunnel earlier in the day. I had some cleaning wipes in the car, so decided to clean around the tunnel opening and check the gaskets and plastic parts around the door. Upon closer inspection, the assembly of the interior tunnel pieces, and the grommets and gaskets around the mechanism were not exactly seated properly, and appeared to be somewhat disconnected. The interior around the latching mechanism could allow for bags and straps to "catch" when using the tunnel, and I think that is probably what happened to create the latching fault I was experiencing. I tried tucking all the pieces in around the latch and inside the tunnel in place, and making them as tight as possible. I took one of the cleaning wipes and really dug into the latch itself, and I felt a small "pop". Somehow, 40 minutes into all of this and 30 minutes away from a tow arriving, the tunnel latch was un-stuck, and the alarm on the dash was cleared... I called Rivian and cancelled the tow, but requested a mobile service tech to inspect the latches and the tunnel assembly at some point soon. Hope this helps if you ever experience a latching error... I still can't pinpoint if it was the wipe in the latch or the fiddling with the grommet and the plastic molding around the door, and Rivian could not say what happened, but worth a try if you are stuck!

· Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Much to my surprise this AM, Rivian service called and said their VT-based mobile service rep was going to swing by and check the latching issue. I never would have imagined such a quick response, and I'm sure it was partially lucky based on his route, but he was here within an hour of the call I rec'd from the BOS service center. After diagnosing the issue in my garage, it has been determined that my truck will need a new latch for the passenger side of the gear tunnel. It is not a common problem, but seems like a pretty easy fix once the part is in. Big kudos and thank you to David from the mobile team - great 1st mobile service experience~
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive side-view mirror

· Registered
3 Posts
In case this ever happens, there may be a way to get out of being completely stranded by your gear tunnel door latch not accepting the "U-hook". Yesterday, I was only a couple of miles from my house, but opened the gear tunnel door to throw a tarp into the gear tunnel. When I went to close it, the latching mechanism inside the tunnel would not function. The hook would hit the latch in the right place, but it would just bounce off, and not engage. The tunnel door was open and it would not close. I tried unlocking and locking everything, opening various doors and latches, fiddling with the button, but no joy. I hit the safety button inside the gear tunnel, but nothing worked. I was in safe mode, and a red alarm went off on the dash and would not shut off or clear, as the SW thought someone was stuck inside the gear tunnel - I had intentionally pressed the white button in the tunnel in one of my attempts to get the latching mechanism to work properly. I moved the truck to a safe spot (tunnel opened all the way down while driving slowly in safe mode) and called Rivian service. I tried 2 hard resets / reboots, but no joy. They would be sending a flat bed. I continued trying to trouble shoot on my own, and then remembered that one of my kids was trying to jam a bag into the gear tunnel earlier in the day. I had some cleaning wipes in the car, so decided to clean around the tunnel opening and check the gaskets and plastic parts around the door. Upon closer inspection, the assembly of the interior tunnel pieces, and the grommets and gaskets around the mechanism were not exactly seated properly, and appeared to be somewhat disconnected. The interior around the latching mechanism could allow for bags and straps to "catch" when using the tunnel, and I think that is probably what happened to create the latching fault I was experiencing. I tried tucking all the pieces in around the latch and inside the tunnel in place, and making them as tight as possible. I took one of the cleaning wipes and really dug into the latch itself, and I felt a small "pop". Somehow, 40 minutes into all of this and 30 minutes away from a tow arriving, the tunnel latch was un-stuck, and the alarm on the dash was cleared... I called Rivian and cancelled the tow, but requested a mobile service tech to inspect the latches and the tunnel assembly at some point soon. Hope this helps if you ever experience a latching error... I still can't pinpoint if it was the wipe in the latch or the fiddling with the grommet and the plastic molding around the door, and Rivian could not say what happened, but worth a try if you are stuck!
What a headache but glad I know what to do in the future.

· Registered
344 Posts
Mine on both sides was due to a lack of the electrical connector not being fully seated. Got multiple warnings and when I removed the panel covering the safety release I was able to get the clip to click fully and all was better. Sounds like yours was a different issue altogether but glad they got you covered quickly!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts