Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
I got on the chat last night (my guide is on vacation) and was told “still this week!” …. And I was like “well it’s Friday night” and their response was “yep, still planning to release this week!” …. So maybe 11:59pm tonight?
Yea...same here. Big communication failure of management. Feel bad for my guide as she is getting nothing but confused signals from above.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just talked to Rivian via chat and was told the email with updated delivery timelines is coming out "this weekend." Other than that, the svc rep knew absolutely nothing, and despite insisting that R1S's are rolling off the assembly line "as we speak", she had no idea if any have been delivered to non-employees.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
I just talked to Rivian via chat and was told the email with updated delivery timelines is coming out "this weekend." Other than that, the svc rep knew absolutely nothing, and despite insisting that R1S's are rolling off the assembly line "as we speak", she had no idea if any have been delivered to non-employees.
Thanks for the update!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Similar. Deposit November 2018. Guide assigned in April, configuration locked, PBA signed with April/May 2022 delivery window. Now October to December 2022.

R1S LE Midnight/BM w 22" wheels in Indianapolis, IN

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
I just got an email - 3 hrs after the one you posted (which I also got) - saying August / September 2022 delivery. I was previously April / May, have a guide, signed the contract, etc. Nov. 2018 deposit.
You're way ahead of me. What is your configuration? Mine CA silver and black interior. I was April/May as well. But I'm in CT...might be a factor RE: no service center.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well I guess it is a similar story all around..sadly, me Nov. 18 R1S LE, LG, midnight and I went from April/May to Oct/Dec. I so hope this is the last delay.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Kinda crazy things are delayed this much. I was expecting a delay from April/May to perhaps July/August...but October/December is just nuts. Their problems must be quite severe. Wonder if it really is suppy chain or quality. Suspect it's the latter and why they are giving them to employees. If that's true, happy for the delay so they can get it right. Volume manufacturing is hard...

·
Registered
345 Posts
Kinda crazy things are delayed this much. I was expecting a delay from April/May to perhaps July/August...but October/December is just nuts. Their problems must be quite severe. Wonder if it really is suppy chain or quality. Suspect it's the latter and why they are giving them to employees. If that's true, happy for the delay so they can get it right. Volume manufacturing is hard...
Though folks are inclined to think otherwise, it is extraordinarily difficult to move from low-rate initial production to full-rate production. Under "normal" conditions, that is, with an experienced work force, reliable suppliers and predictable component deliveries, ramping up is an iterative process that takes many months. None of that applies in the case of a new manufacturer with little background and expertise in supply chain management attempting to build a new, largely unique product with relatively inexperienced production personnel.

If Rivian can hit their R1 production target of 15,000 vehicles this year, I think that should be seen as a major accomplishment. Most of that production will have to be R1T's in the Adventure configuration; adding a variant like the R1S to the production line is not a trivial task, and has a pretty severe adverse impact on rate. One way to mitigate that impact is to keep numbers very low, which is what I'm certain Rivian is doing, not just with the R1S but also with the R1T Max.

Frankly speaking, the only issue I have with Rivian is their continued release of unrealistic information, what we in the aerospace business used to call cranking up the sunshine machine. The bottom line is most of us will need to wait much longer for Rivian vehicles than the overly optimistic schedules we get in our emails indicates.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Though folks are inclined to think otherwise, it is extraordinarily difficult to move from low-rate initial production to full-rate production. Under "normal" conditions, that is, with an experienced work force, reliable suppliers and predictable component deliveries, ramping up is an iterative process that takes many months. None of that applies in the case of a new manufacturer with little background and expertise in supply chain management attempting to build a new, largely unique product with relatively inexperienced production personnel.

If Rivian can hit their R1 production target of 15,000 vehicles this year, I think that should be seen as a major accomplishment. Most of that production will have to be R1T's in the Adventure configuration; adding a variant like the R1S to the production line is not a trivial task, and has a pretty severe adverse impact on rate. One way to mitigate that impact is to keep numbers very low, which is what I'm certain Rivian is doing, not just with the R1S but also with the R1T Max.

Frankly speaking, the only issue I have with Rivian is their continued release of unrealistic information, what we in the aerospace business used to call cranking up the sunshine machine. The bottom line is most of us will need to wait much longer for Rivian vehicles than the overly optimistic schedules we get in our emails indicates.
I agree 100%

I ran a mfg company with 8,000 employees and volume mfg is really tough. I agree that their communication tactics have not worked. I am patient for them to get it right.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Congratulations. I went from April/May to October/December 😒
Strange, I wonder if the difference is just based on location since our order dates and configs are similar and we both have what should be common colors. I guess we'll see how accurate these new dates end up being.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
This is my build and I am located in CT...I told my guide I would be flexible on my build and gave a few different options. I suspect that my location is the biggest issue. Anyone else here in CT?

Font Circle Paper Paper product Document

·
Registered
35 Posts
This is my build and I am located in CT...I told my guide I would be flexible on my build and gave a few different options. I suspect that my location is the biggest issue. Anyone else here in CT?

View attachment 6694
Mine is the same except for color (Launch Green). I'm in Texas. I doubt the color makes much difference, it has to be the location. The service center in Austin is supposed to open in July and will be local to me, it could be that. It sounds like there are people in CT who already have the R1T though. Rivian R1T EV pickup truck overview at Northeast Rivian Club event in Bridgeport Connecticut, owner Jazzy Jeff has 5,300 miles already!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Mine is the same except for color (Launch Green). I'm in Texas. I doubt the color makes much difference, it has to be the location. The service center in Austin is supposed to open in July and will be local to me, it could be that. It sounds like there are people in CT who already have the R1T though. Rivian R1T EV pickup truck overview at Northeast Rivian Club event in Bridgeport Connecticut, owner Jazzy Jeff has 5,300 miles already!
Thanks for the link..strange...

81 - 100 of 100 Posts