Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

Give us something!

4K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  Ruester 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Not sure if any other preorder people out there losing interest, but I would like just a bit of "hang with us" information. Maybe something like what Lucid Motors put out.

First look inside Lucid Motors' new factory in Casa Grande, Arizona
Not sure if any other preorder people out there losing interest, but I would like just a bit of "hang with us" information. Maybe something like what Lucid Motors put out.

I agree that a new video to update us on the production process would be nice. I think the last one was about 4 months ago. The Lucid video is very impressive, the factory looks very close to production ready.

#4 ·

Started asking a similar question a couple of weeks ago in "Are we not due regular reports from Rivian management about the production date of our ordered vehicles?" Had many comments regarding the minimal news provided about when the next events will occur. Fortunately there have been several news pieces in the past couple of weeks about showrooms to help fill the void.

#5 ·
I don't really care what's going on in the factory so long as it is building vehicles. I get more excited by videos like what RJ posted this weekend with the R1T doing offroad testing. Regardless, I know I'm not getting a truck for at least another 4 or 5 months.

Everyone (and not just in this context) needs to learn some damn patience, and to remember that if they were running their own company, they might not want so many backseat drivers telling them how to release their product, deposits or not. Patience is a virtue :)

#6 ·
Patience is a virtue. But there are some of us who have been very patient. I for one made plans not to get another thermal engine machine, and to wait for this vehicle. That was 2 years ago. I have >200K on my '08 MDX and it is getting tired. I need this vehicle before my MDX dies and I am forced into getting something that I really don't want. I understand the complexities of ground up builds. But I am counting upon having a reliable vehicle for next winter. I do not know if my MDX will make it. Some people don't have the urgency that I have. You could say it was poor planning on my part because I did not have plan B, or C, or D. There is a balance between patience which is what the manufacturer wants us to have, and inconvenience which is what the buyer is trying to avoid. It goes over much better if your doctor in the ER is up front about the plan and keeps you updated about the progress. I understand that this is not life and death. And I certainly would not want someone who knows very little looking over my shoulder during a CPR code asking when I will be finished. But more info would be comforting if not useful. That would put me back in control of part of my future vehicle plans rather that having them up in the air like they are now.

#8 ·
Nobody planned for COVID, which is indisputably a massive impediment to starting an automotive manufacturing enterprise. They only started refurbishing the Mitsubishi plant in the last 18 months. There's a lot o detail work involved between buying a factory building and getting it ready to produce a totally new vehicle, and once the production line is ready there's more time still in training workers and working out manufacturing kinks while continuously tweaking the overall engineering of the vehicle. Believe me, they want your money quicker than you want to pay it, but there's only one chance to make a first impression, so they're trying to avoid the debilitating effects of a roll-out that's less than perfect.

#7 ·
I don't see how Rivian is responsible for your vehicle decisions and any urgency or inconvenience due to those decisions. My lease goes back in July. Will my R1T be in my driveway before that? Probably not. Do I whine to Rivian that they owe me an R1T sooner because my situation would be easier if I got one sooner? No.

It is their product and they get to release it when they want. I don't understand this idea that anyone is owed anything from Rivian, including a vehicle in their driveway on any timeline except Rivian's. We can all only make decisions based on the information we have. If there isn't enough for you to feel comfortable... I guess you should have planned for that potential.

#9 ·
Let’s keep it on the rails here folks. I think we can all agree that we’d love to have more info, and that Rivian is under no legal requirement to provide it. Each of us has a different comfort level across that spectrum and is entitled to express opinions about it. No one is wrong, so let’s voice our own opinions without denigrating the opinions of others.

#13 ·
I also have a Hummer EV reservation, and every month since October, I get an email update from GMC that includes some new video footage of the features of the truck. There is always a person in the video explaining the features, it is not some footage of the truck from the outside climbing a hill or driving on the freeway. It provides some real details of what to expect.

It would be nice to have this level of detail from Rivian, since they are closer to deliveries than the Hummer is by about 4 months.

#18 ·
I'm fortunate enough to have solved my waiting problem by buying a Tesla Model Y. I'm enjoying the EV experience and will sell it when I get my long range, 5 seat R1S next year.

To my fellow chatters... of course they don't owe us anything but marketing is marketing and customer relationships are customer relationships. My own suspicion is that the Amazon investment changed the entire calculus of their relationship with individual customers. That's not good or bad, it just is what it is - I suspect it gives them the ability to be cautious and careful in R1T and R1S launch and avoid the Polestar launch.

I'm a tech exec type of guy and would give them a low B on their Marketing and Sales. It just feels really sparse and that they could do an amazing job with a very low relative budget. And I'd also hope as a technology startup that their Marketing dept would be way ahead of an incumbent like GM.

On some level this is only relevant in the near term. In the medium term they're going to have an amazing IPO and we're all going to get one of the best EVs on the market.

#20 ·
Ditto what you said... And... let's expand on one of the realities just a little bit. Working capital is critical for Rivian or any start up. Amazon dropped $700 million in their lap and a nice size delivery van order... like it or not, I think they deserve to go to the front of the line for deliveries.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.