Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this before but I'm concerned about glare on the instrument panel. There doesn't seem to be any "roof" or "cap" to provide shade above the top portion of the instrument panel and the screen, from all the videos and pictures I've seen, are not matte but glossy. Thoughts?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this before but I'm concerned about glare on the instrument panel. There doesn't seem to be any "roof" or "cap" to provide shade above the top portion of the instrument panel and the screen, from all the videos and pictures I've seen, are not matte but glossy. Thoughts?
Until we are able to actually see the vehicles, it kinda hard to determine this. But for anyone that was able to see the vehicles before the COVID stoppage, and with all the testing videos that have been shared, I dont think its going to be an issue. We would have heard about this by now - right?

·
Registered
2017 Chevy BoltEV, 2016 Chevy Volt, 2017 Toyota RAV4
47 Posts
Another issue that may occur is with the lighter Ocean Coast interior (my choice to avoid a heatsink). I have noticed in other vehicles with a light colored dashboard under the windshield, that reflections from the dash onto the windshield can be quite annoying. If Armor All or some other surface protector that creates a shiny surface is used, the effect is intensified. Polarized sunglasses help immensely, but is a nuisance just for this issue. Asked CS in chat session about this possible problem, and said she would send the question on to someone else that might know if they have experienced this issue with the Ocean Coast interior.

Another issue in my BoltEV has to do with glare on the touchscreen and reflections off the simulated chrome in the dash. A hood over the screens would help as well as avoiding highly reflective adornments on the dash.

Hopefully they have given some thought with all these potential issues to avoid complaints that cannot easily be fixed.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Another issue that may occur is with the lighter Ocean Coast interior (my choice to avoid a heatsink). I have noticed in other vehicles with a light colored dashboard under the windshield, that reflections from the dash onto the windshield can be quite annoying. If Armor All or some other surface protector that creates a shiny surface is used, the effect is intensified. Polarized sunglasses help immensely, but is a nuisance just for this issue. Asked CS in chat session about this possible problem, and said she would send the question on to someone else that might know if they have experienced this issue with the Ocean Coast interior.

Another issue in my BoltEV has to do with glare on the touchscreen and reflections off the simulated chrome in the dash. A hood over the screens would help as well as avoiding highly reflective adornments on the dash.

Hopefully they have given some thought with all these potential issues to avoid complaints that cannot easily be fixed.
I don’t really see any chrome on the interior, just a little matte silver on the steering wheel and door handles... so hopefully that won’t be an issue. 🤔

·
Vendor
10 Posts
We just made these screen protectors yesterday and they are now live on our website!

Use Code ROF10 at www.screenprotech.com to try them out for a discount!

·
Vendor
10 Posts
Screen ProTech has the product you need!
Check out https://screenprotech.com and as a special thank you to everyone on this site, you can use Code: ROF10 for 10% off!

We have both HD and Anti-Glare film options available! We hope we are able to help fix this issue for you!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Screen ProTech has the product you need!
Check out https://screenprotech.com and as a special thank you to everyone on this site, you can use Code: ROF10 for 10% off!

We have both HD and Anti-Glare film options available! We hope we are able to help fix this issue for you!
I've had my R1T since April. I live in Texas so lots of sun. The smaller instrument panel screen, which is the object of the OP's concern, actually isn't really affected by the lack of an overhang, at least not in my experience. However, the center screen is definitely impacted by glare, especially the half of the screen furthest from the driver. I purchased the Screen ProTech matte protectors. They are not the answer to glare. In fact, I'd say that they may make the situation worse. When sun hits these protectors at the right angle, the screen becomes totally illegible; the same situation might exist without the film in place, but it certainly isn't remedied by having it. Also, the matte protector I have also tends to really show "touch points" after awhile, especially on the "button" areas that are tapped often, like the Nav and Music icons. These films were expensive and while they may add some accidental scratch protection, I'm really not sure I'd buy them again.

I also purchased a reflective screen for the roof; it is supposed to stay in place with suction cups (it has probably 8-10 if I recall). This was supposedly made specifically for the R1T. Unfortunately, it is ever so slightly too large. And while it's not meant to be left in place while driving, it's also unwieldy to take it down and stick it back up each time. I leave it in place. It tends to droop after awhile so I just periodically make sure the suction cups are firmly attached. I opted for a gold reflective surface and a black interior side; unfortunately, the suction cups have small white rings that hang down to make for quick removal...and these are unsightly since they're white instead of black. I can't recall the brand but it was advertised here on this forum much like the screen film.

·
Vendor
10 Posts
I've had my R1T since April. I live in Texas so lots of sun. The smaller instrument panel screen, which is the object of the OP's concern, actually isn't really affected by the lack of an overhang, at least not in my experience. However, the center screen is definitely impacted by glare, especially the half of the screen furthest from the driver. I purchased the Screen ProTech matte protectors. They are not the answer to glare. In fact, I'd say that they may make the situation worse. When sun hits these protectors at the right angle, the screen becomes totally illegible; the same situation might exist without the film in place, but it certainly isn't remedied by having it. Also, the matte protector I have also tends to really show "touch points" after awhile, especially on the "button" areas that are tapped often, like the Nav and Music icons. These films were expensive and while they may add some accidental scratch protection, I'm really not sure I'd buy them again.

I also purchased a reflective screen for the roof; it is supposed to stay in place with suction cups (it has probably 8-10 if I recall). This was supposedly made specifically for the R1T. Unfortunately, it is ever so slightly too large. And while it's not meant to be left in place while driving, it's also unwieldy to take it down and stick it back up each time. I leave it in place. It tends to droop after awhile so I just periodically make sure the suction cups are firmly attached. I opted for a gold reflective surface and a black interior side; unfortunately, the suction cups have small white rings that hang down to make for quick removal...and these are unsightly since they're white instead of black. I can't recall the brand but it was advertised here on this forum much like the screen film.
Sorry to hear your experience has been anything less than perfect!
From what I have seen, the Rivian Screens have a bit of a matte finish from the factory. This may not make our matte film the best choice for dealing with glare.
I would be more than happy to get you out a set of our HD film to see if that is a better solution to the glare issue you are dealing with!
We will do whatever it takes to make sure you are completely satisfied with your purchase!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Sorry to hear your experience has been anything less than perfect!
From what I have seen, the Rivian Screens have a bit of a matte finish from the factory. This may not make our matte film the best choice for dealing with glare.
I would be more than happy to get you out a set of our HD film to see if that is a better solution to the glare issue you are dealing with!
We will do whatever it takes to make sure you are completely satisfied with your purchase!
I do appreciate the offer; I originally ordered the secondary set of films as a back-up and at the time I had wished that getting one of each had been an option.

·
Vendor
10 Posts
I do appreciate the offer; I originally ordered the secondary set of films as a back-up and at the time I had wished that getting one of each had been an option.
I appreciate the feedback and have let our website team know. We have a full redesign going live next week and it will make it much easier to have that as an option!
Regarding your personal screens, if you would like to try the HD film I can talk to our Customer Service team about reaching out to you! Just let me know

1 - 14 of 14 Posts