Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve never owned a glass-roof vehicle. Slight concern it will be too bright on sunny days with no option to moderate interior brightness 🔆. I know, first world problems. Hoping to get perspective from someone that’s either received delivery or conducted a test drive. Any ideas other than tint or wait for removable roof option?

· Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
327 Posts
Had panoramic roof in the past with mixed results. It really comes down to the tinting they are using on the glass. One vehicle had practically nothing you had to close the sunshade otherwise it was an oven in the vehicle. Another had pretty good tinting and it was fine.

· Registered
2 Posts
I’ve never owned a glass-roof vehicle. Slight concern it will be too bright on sunny days with no option to moderate interior brightness 🔆. I know, first world problems. Hoping to get perspective from someone that’s either received delivery or conducted a test drive. Any ideas other than tint or wait for removable roof option?
A direct quote from my Rivian Ambassador:
Our panoramic glass roof:
• the panoramic glass roof is tinted and allows less than 2% of total light to pass through (so you won't need to worry about it being "too bright")
• the panoramic glass roof blocks 99.96% of UV rays (so you won't have to worry about sunburns)
• the glass has an SPF equivalent to SPF 96,173 (yep, you read that right!).

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
• the panoramic glass roof is tinted and allows less than 2% of total light to pass through (so you won't need to worry about it being "too bright")
• the panoramic glass roof blocks 99.96% of UV rays (so you won't have to worry about sunburns)
That’s some good data. Thanks for sharing!

· Registered
21 Posts
Had panoramic roof in the past with mixed results. It really comes down to the tinting they are using on the glass. One vehicle had practically nothing you had to close the sunshade otherwise it was an oven in the vehicle. Another had pretty good tinting and it was fine.
We have a panoramic roof in our Range Rover and I don't notice it being overly hot in the summer here in SoCal. It does have a retractable sunshade though and it is factory tinted.

· Registered
162 Posts
I'm less concerned about the amount of light coming through. I'm more concerned about the integrity of the roof. There have been a few incidents of the roof cracking under small amounts of pressure. While it isn't statically significant due to the population size-it does worry me.

· Registered
680 Posts
I put a band of perforated black wrap about nine inches deep from front, now I don't have to reach for a baseball cap with direct sunlight overhead. Super easy, $13.
That's brilliant. Might do that on the Tesla. I have the interior shades but it has issues, comes loose if you have windows open, droops to the point of putting double sided tape on the glass to hold it, has clips that come off and get lost.

· Registered
92 Posts
Yes, they need a pull-shade on that; the Colorado sun is way too hot; I'm going to have to tint it so much that it probably won't be that great for visibility. The glass and the air vents adjusted by the main screen are apparent errors in this 1st generation. Hopefully, somebody (like Rivian) will come up with an aftermarket attachment. I understand the glass roofs in low altitudes and cloudy weather, but Colorado, Arizona, Florida, and Texas are not too great. That's why I went with all white. We are talking about $25.00 to Rivian per vehicle to put a shade in the headliner.

· Registered
284 Posts
I can't confirm those numbers but if true, they don't tell the whole story. Even if it's only 2% light coming through, when the sun is almost directly above you but slightly in front, it has been blinding for me. Thankfully I have cross bars on top and I just have to move slightly to get in the shade from the cross bars not to be blinded.

Regarding the rest, yes, you may not get burnt, but you do feel some heat. My wife has already complained as she is very sensitive to heat on her head due to migraines. Nothing terrible but you can feel the heat on your head.

· Registered
4 Posts
I am also in Colorado and sit up fairly high at 6'4". The roof lets in a ton of heat on a sunny day. I had the front windows ceramic coated and that seems to help with the side window entry.

I tried this tint based on another members suggestion: PPF Paint Protection Film Glass Sunroof Clear Bra VLT70% UV99% Block W

But, it only provided a slight decrease in heat/light and not enough to mitigate the heat issue.

I installed some reflective foil utilizing 1" staves to tuck under the seams of the roof. It works very well and makes the truck very livable. It looks like hell, though.

I considered having the roof wrapped in body colored film. However, I believe I would still have issues with the heat being transmitted through as there would be no air space for any insulative effect to occur.

The windshield also lets in a ton of heat and I intend to get this covered.

I'm open to ideas as I suffered in my Tesla Model Y/P until I installed a two-layer shade that worked very well.

· Registered
92 Posts
"Two percent of light to come through" what's the purpose of two glass roofs on the R1S with 98% of the light being blocked? I would be satisfied if they just made the glass roofs an option. Off-road or on-road tops are stronger without cutouts. Porsche's are much more desirable in rally and track racing with a sunroof delete option and a much more robust and stiffer body. But don't expect any changes at this point, maybe the aftermarket will fill the need.

· Registered
680 Posts
FYI Tesla says the EXACT same thing and no, it is too bright when sun overhead without a shade or baseball cap. And it heats the interior of car up. If you touch the glass roof on a sunny day, you will burn your hand. That heat is radiated into the car. Tesla offered an interior shade from the beginning.

Best approach is the Kia/Hyundai with an actual sunroof with a built in shade.

· Registered
284 Posts
FYI Tesla says the EXACT same thing and no, it is too bright when sun overhead without a shade or baseball cap. And it heats the interior of car up. If you touch the glass roof on a sunny day, you will burn your hand. That heat is radiated into the car. Tesla offered an interior shade from the beginning.

Best approach is the Kia/Hyundai with an actual sunroof with a built in shade.
I also purchased that Tesla shade from day one and always had it on. I hope Rivian gets one soon. I really could care less about the roof top. The only thing I like is that there is less paint to care for on the car. lol.

· Registered
680 Posts
My I-pace also has a full glass roof but I have never noticed any of these issues.
Laws of physics says you have the same issues as everyone with a glass roof.

Tesla lead with the full glass roof because it is less expensive and lowers mfg costs, in effect selling a cost saving "bug" as a "feature". Other mfgs followed. Glass roofs will always have the sun and heat issues.

Sun roof with integral shade is the way to go.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts