Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post! Hey guys/gals, Kev from Dallas, TX.

Just off the top of my head.

Glass Roof: I asked Sara at Rivian the other day, if the electro-chromatic roof was viable, she said no, it was too expensive. Bummer! I am bald, pale and live in Texas... I could use something to shade, hopefully they will offer something to help. She said the roof does do a good job of keeping the sun rays out.

White: has no metallic. Dang.

Headroom is 41.1”

second row headroom is 38.2”

Driver leg room is 41.4”

Second row leg room is 36.7

Shoulder room is 60.6”

·
Registered
554 Posts
White paint is "free". Of course it was going to be a basic 1-stage paint.

I test drove a new Model Y and the tint is sufficiently dark that even in the mid day sun it felt good. I assume Rivian will do something similar.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I test drove a new Model Y and the tint is sufficiently dark that even in the mid day sun it felt good. I assume Rivian will do something similar.
So the silver would also be one-stage? It's free too..... but metallic.

·
Registered
2019 Zero SR/F and 2018, BMW i3
182 Posts

It seems like that is the plan. I got this from the chat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have to agree with kbuicker on the roof. I'm in southern AZ. En lieu of an electro-chromatic roof, a physical retractable shade would be great. Aren't they doing a powered cover for the bed on adventure packages? I don't even care if the roof shade is powered, but a physical shade would be great. Sure, really good tint blocks 99% of UV, but it only blocks 79-86% of solar heat. It doesn't take long for that 14-21% of extra heat energy coming in to significantly heat up your interior.

·
Registered
987 Posts

Glass Roof: I asked Sara at Rivian the other day, if the electro-chromatic roof was viable, she said no, it was too expensive. Bummer! I am bald, pale and live in Texas... I could use something to shade, hopefully they will offer something to help. She said the roof does do a good job of keeping the sun rays out.

Headroom is 41.1”

Driver leg room is 41.4”

Shoulder room is 60.6”
Rivian needs to release a test video or something with the sunroof to show us how it's designed to keep the heat out of the cabin.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts

Headroom is 41.1”

Driver leg room is 41.4”

Shoulder room is 60.6”
I have to agree with kbuicker on the roof. I'm in southern AZ. En lieu of an electro-chromatic roof, a physical retractable shade would be great. Aren't they doing a powered cover for the bed on adventure packages? I don't even care if the roof shade is powered, but a physical shade would be great. Sure, really good tint blocks 99% of UV, but it only blocks 79-86% of solar heat. It doesn't take long for that 14-21% of extra heat energy coming in to significantly heat up your interior.
Welcome to the forum guys. To address the concern here about sun rays, if you reach out to Rivian Customer Service again, ask about Low-E coating (Low-E blocks UV and IR radiation (blocking heat), while letting visible light in. It also helps stop heat loss in the winter. (PRM, Rt1, FE). Front windshield with infrared reflective (IRR) coating, reduces heat. (PRM, Rt1, FE)
I don't know if our Rivian's will have it but there's a good chance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey eHauler, thanks for the welcome. I took your advice and reached out to Rivian Support via chat. J.R. (not RJ :)) at Rivian touted their glass coating. He also mentioned they have done extensive testing in AZ, which does give me comfort. I knew they did their towing tests down here. But having him mention it again helped reassure me I'm not buying an electric greenhouse. I did ask if there are any plans for a physical sliding pano roof cover and got this response " . . while we don't have anything to share on that. It's definitely possible!"

·
Registered
159 Posts
Not the greatest news I am a Phoenician
Wonder what aftermarket electric tint will look like?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Here is the response I received from RIVIAN

Thanks for getting back to us! I hope I can help clarify this here.

My apologies for the lack of clarity prior, but the electrochromic / shifting glass roof you're speaking about will not be available for Rivian vehicles. We indeed did state that this could be an option early on, but in order to deliver the R1T and R1S to our community as quickly as possible and serve them as best we can, we've simplified production and now offer the panoramic glass roof as standard. While not capable of shifting on-demand, the tinting on this roof has been carefully optimized to deliver high transparency while keeping UV out.

If you have any further questions about the panoramic glass roof or anything else, please don't hesitate to get back in touch! It'd be a joy for us to help.

I hope that all is well, that you keep safe, and have had a wonderful start to 2021 so far.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Hey eHauler, thanks for the welcome. I took your advice and reached out to Rivian Support via chat. J.R. (not RJ :)) at Rivian touted their glass coating. He also mentioned they have done extensive testing in AZ, which does give me comfort. I knew they did their towing tests down here. But having him mention it again helped reassure me I'm not buying an electric greenhouse. I did ask if there are any plans for a physical sliding pano roof cover and got this response " . . while we don't have anything to share on that. It's definitely possible!"
Good to see Rivian confirm the glass coating and in a big way with testing in AZ. If you can follow up with them on any specifics about the coating, that would be great, because finding out how good it is compared to others is the next step now.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Rivian got back to me on some specifics about how the glass roof will mitigate light/UV penetration.
This is a first. I haven't seen it reported anywhere else

Rivian Customer Service:
"Though the roof is made of glass, it's engineered to mitigate light/UV penetration. The tinting has been carefully optimized to deliver high transparency while keeping UV out.
  • The panoramic glass roof is tinted and allows less than 2% of total light to pass through so you don't need to worry about it being too bright.
  • The panoramic glass roof blocks 99.96% of UV rays so you don't have to worry about sunburns.
  • The glass has an SPF equivalent to SPF 96,173 (yep, you read that right!).
We don't have specifics on how the glass is engineered and what the tinting includes, but I hope this helps a bit for now."

·
Registered
159 Posts
The testing has been done at Toyota testing grounds near Wickenburg Arizona
P6VM+R9 Wickenburg, Arizona
Drove out there in hopes of spying a Rivian
Place is perfect for what they do there
Like aera 51
Can't see a damn thing
LOL

·
Registered
987 Posts
Rivian got back to me on some specifics about how the glass roof will mitigate light/UV penetration.
This is a first. I haven't seen it reported anywhere else

Rivian Customer Service:
"Though the roof is made of glass, it's engineered to mitigate light/UV penetration. The tinting has been carefully optimized to deliver high transparency while keeping UV out.
  • The panoramic glass roof is tinted and allows less than 2% of total light to pass through so you don't need to worry about it being too bright.
  • The panoramic glass roof blocks 99.96% of UV rays so you don't have to worry about sunburns.
  • The glass has an SPF equivalent to SPF 96,173 (yep, you read that right!).
We don't have specifics on how the glass is engineered and what the tinting includes, but I hope this helps a bit for now."
I had no idea SPF ratings went that high.

·
Registered
987 Posts
The testing has been done at Toyota testing grounds near Wickenburg Arizona
P6VM+R9 Wickenburg, Arizona
Drove out there in hopes of spying a Rivian
Place is perfect for what they do there
Like aera 51
Can't see a damn thing
LOL
Can you see buildings or anything from where you were or is it just desert?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Can you see buildings or anything from where you were or is it just desert?
Like I said
Aera 51
Could see nothing
I didn't spend time off-road looking for a vantage point
Maybe with some kind of scope on a nearby hill
But why?
This property is perfect for what they do
HIDE

1 - 17 of 17 Posts