Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone having second thoughts about their Launch Edition and wanting to wait for the “topless” model in 2022?

The Rivian R1T Will Get A Removable Roof Option In 2022.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
310 Posts
Nope. I’ve had sunroofs on every vehicle I’ve owned for at least the last 20 years and seldom ever open them. Having to remove and store glass roof panels seems like a major PITA, and it’s not even clear what they will be doing relative to storage for them. I do like a glass roof, but I’d prefer it just stay where it is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This feature is big for me. I live in sunny California and use my moonroof all the time. It is also the feature that levels the playing field against the Hummer. Makes it harder for me to decide and I love that.

·
Registered
66 Posts
This feature is big for me. I live in sunny California and use my moonroof all the time. It is also the feature that levels the playing field against the Hummer. Makes it harder for me to decide and I love that.
I’m not sure if I would use it or not. I had a Jeep Wrangler JK and the top was off most of the time. In my other vehicles, the sunroofs are never used. I now go out of my way to order vehicles without sunroofs.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I don’t need a removable roof, but I do love the glass roof. I’m looking forward to how big it is compared to my current moonroof. I will miss being able to open it though. Like @CommodoreAmiga, I use mine all the time— for ventilation and connection to the outside when it warms up.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Not for me - I usually have stuff on the roof for a minimum of 6 months a year (ski box) - and dealing with roof panels ain't always fun either. Liking the simplicity of the glass for my needs anyway.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not for me - I usually have stuff on the roof for a minimum of 6 months a year (ski box) - and dealing with roof panels ain't always fun either. Liking the simplicity of the glass for my needs anyway.
The stuff on my roof 6 months is usually white and cold — I hate it! But come summer, all bets are off! 😎

Would love the slidable pano option above but I guess it all depends on how much these options cost and if the removable one will stow in the frunk like the Hummer does???

·
Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
112 Posts
With how popular this feature is awesome, just not for me. My roof is very rarely open but I like the glass canopy and open feeling it creates.

·
Registered
204 Posts
This is actually one of the features on the Hummer that caused me to reserve one and then switch my Rivian from an R1T to an R1S. GM nailed this with the Hummer, it is glass, the four pieces stack neatly in the frunk, and the rear window powers down. We have a convertible sports car and put the top down quite often.

I was told by CS that the removable roof would be two piece and would not fit in the frunk. They also initially indicated on the web site it would be solid, not glass.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
310 Posts
This is actually one of the features on the Hummer that caused me to reserve one and then switch my Rivian from an R1T to an R1S. GM nailed this with the Hummer, it is glass, the four pieces stack neatly in the frunk, and the rear window powers down. We have a convertible sports car and put the top down quite often.

I was told by CS that the removable roof would be two piece and would not fit in the frunk. They also initially indicated on the web site it would be solid, not glass.
My 4Runner has power down rear window and I really like that. Makes a huge difference when you want to ride with the windows down because air flows through vs getting trapped swirling around the cabin and being really noisy. I wish the R1T had that feature, but not willing to sacrifice the gear tunnel for it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Not interested at all in the removable option. Wouldn't take it even if it was free and available now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I totally agree with Wildabeest. I rarely ever even draw back the shade, let alone crack the window on all the sunroofs I've ever had. Who wants to eat dust?

However, in my convertible on a twisty pave road ....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone having second thoughts about their Launch Edition and wanting to wait for the “topless” model in 2022?

The Rivian R1T Will Get A Removable Roof Option In 2022.
I'm on the fence, I'm looking at ordering a (Chevy) C8 HTC so I don't know if I need this option but I do love the idea of it and I am trying to push my delivery out a little so perhaps it's a win / win.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts