Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As an outdoor enthusiast and a ham radio operator I like to setup my vehicle with a ham radio with repeater functionality, that way in the event of an emergency my handheld would be able to hit the truck which would have way more transmit power. I really hate the idea of having the drill holes in the R1T to be able to mount an antenna/radio. It would be wonderful if Rivian could come up with a clean way to mount an external radio antenna.

Even better yet, with software defined radios what they are, how wonderful would it be to build the radio into the infotainment system!? You could do something where you need to enter your call sign into the system to unlock the functionality, or something like that. With it be a software defined radio, you may even be able to set it up so that depending on your licence it would allow CB, GMRS, Ham, etc.

Like I said, just a thought but for an adventure vehicle being able to mount a/have radio would be huge.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
As an outdoor enthusiast and a ham radio operator I like to setup my vehicle with a ham radio with repeater functionality, that way in the event of an emergency my handheld would be able to hit the truck which would have way more transmit power. I really hate the idea of having the drill holes in the R1T to be able to mount an antenna/radio. It would be wonderful if Rivian could come up with a clean way to mount an external radio antenna.

Even better yet, with software defined radios what they are, how wonderful would it be to build the radio into the infotainment system!? You could do something where you need to enter your call sign into the system to unlock the functionality, or something like that. With it be a software defined radio, you may even be able to set it up so that depending on your licence it would allow CB, GMRS, Ham, etc.

Like I said, just a thought but for an adventure vehicle being able to mount a/have radio would be huge.
Welcome @NP1123! Have you reached out to Rivian about this? They're usually good in responding to people. What kind of radio do you use in your current vehicle?

·
Registered
11 Posts
As a ham radio operator I also would like to see some way to clean mount an external radio antenna. What kind of radios did Rivian use in their test vehicles and how was it connected to a power source and antenna?
On January 14, 2021 I received the following response from customer service regarding ham radio.
Hello Dennis,

Thank you for contacting us and for reserving the Launch Edition R1T. With deliveries beginning this summer, I am sure you are super excited to get in the driver's seat! Although we appreciate your forward-thinking about installing accessories to support your amateur radios, we remain polishing the details of the warranty specifications and look forward to announcing the details closer to the start of production.

Feel free to reach out if you have any additional thoughts or questions. We can't wait to see you in the driver's seat of your very own Electric Adventure Vehicle soon!

Stay adventurous,
Justin
8 a.m. to 8 p.m. CT - M-F
Closed - Sa-Su

I guess that its time to contact Rivian again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here is my query to Rivian on January 14, 2021
Will installing a VHF/UHF transceiver (50 watts output) void any warranty?

As part of the build, will 1) Rivian install a 12 volt fused terminal strip or jack to supply power to a 50W transceiver accessible inside the cab, and 2) will Rivian install an antenna mount and coax cable from the antenna mount to the interior of the cab?

If so, I can ship an antenna mount and coax to Normal for installation. I can even ship a transceiver and antenna to Normal if Rivian would install it.

I plan on going to remote places where cell phones will not work but amateur radios will work repeaters on mountain tops. Having a transceiver in an adventure vehicle increases the adventure for amateur radio operators.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.